The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015 Canucks Draft Talk

Horvat

Based on the rankings we should have no trouble landing Roy and Andersson but somehow I doubt we end up with both those guys

We need to shed some veterans for picks and space for young guys.

Can we please move Higgins already? Or dose our "2nd" line need him so badly that his time cannot be filled by Hansen/vey/burrows/kass

Yeah, I don't know why J.Roy is so low though. I have a feeling if that's his ranking by the end of the draft then he will be picked earlier in the top 15.

A few guys I'm interested in around the 2nd-4th rounds are Jeese Gabrielle, Graham Knott, Adam Musil, Jake DeBrusk, Glenn Gawdin, Keegan Kolesar. Tough, hard to play against players who have some jam in their game, gritty and can also score. They have good shots, play a very pro style of game and if we could get one of them atleast then it gives us a nice mix of players. I think Jeese is the best out of them but all have similar playstyles.

An interesting player I'd like to see drafted is Nikita Pavlychev. 17, 6'6, 200 pounds,

15 points in 33 games in the USHL. Interesting player, he's tall like alot of players but he has good point totals and in his first year of draft eligibility, other tall guys are usually in their 2nd or 3rd year of eligibility.

A few guys I'm interested in around the 2nd-4th rounds are Jeese Gabrielle, Graham Knott, Adam Musil, Jake DeBrusk, Glenn Gawdin, Keegan Kolesar. Tough, hard to play against players who have some jam in their game, gritty and can also score. They have good shots, play a very pro style of game and if we could get one of them atleast then it gives us a nice mix of players. I think Jeese is the best out of them but all have similar playstyles.

Agreed.

I'd try to grab Ryan Gropp if we have an early thrid or a LATE second.

If we somehow get two 2nd round picks, I'd take Blake Speers/Nikita Korostelev, and Rasmus Andersson/or Matthew Spencer.

With our first, I'd grab Konency, Meier, Provorov(highly unlikely he falls), Sprong, or Paul Bitter.

Would really love Konency, Blake Speers, Matthew Spencer and Ryan Gropp on our team. All of them are good players with great skill.

Speers could/most likely have instant chemistry with McCann since they both grew up with each other and play on the same team and are one of the deadliest duos in the OHL. Travis Konency is also Bo Horvat's younger cousin quite ironically.

Here is a little article about Konency. He's truly a can't miss prospect and I really want him to fall under our laps.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/ottawa-67-travis-konecny-ohl-top-pick-aware-164452183.html

Is Konecny better than Fabbri?

It's hard to say, but they're both speedy, tenacious forwards that know how to score. Both, I believe, are can't miss prospects. Fabbri definitely exemplified that in the World Juniors for Canada. Both work their nuts off, provide leadership, and have very well-rounded games. They are both Don Cherry Ontaria type of boys.

I can see Konecny panning out into a Brendan Gallagher plus. In other words, a much more elusive, high-end scoring version of Gallagher, minus the agitating side of the game. He also has a lot of similarities to Jaden Schwartz I find. All around, he's a very solid prospect. Despite being only 5'10, he's almost 180 lbs., which is a pretty solid frame for a guy only 17-years old.

More importantly than his size, it's his style of game that shouldn't give him much trouble adapting to the NHL game. He plays hard in the dirty areas, and puts priority towards the defensive side of the game as well; and that all goes along with the boatloads of skill and intangibles he already possesses. He truly is a can't miss prospect.

If Konecny falls to us in the 1st round, the 2nd round gives us the perfect opportunity to have a chance at a D prospect like Andersson, Bouramman, Carrier, Wotherspoon, Brisebois, Dunn, Vande Sompel, Pilon, Juulsen, Spencer, Meloche or Dermott. Luckily, this draft is a deep enough on defence that we can afford to pick the BPA in the 1st round if it's a forward. Like Benning said, they'll pick the BPA, but if the level of talent seems to be balanced amongst the remaining prospects at the top of the list, they'll pick a d-man.

It'll be very interesting to see what happens, but I definitely hope we pick Konecny if he's available. However, if they go with a very good d-man prospect, I wouldn't be at all upset.

I'm just psyched that Benning won't be trading our 1st or 2nd rounders this season. :) However, whether it be at the deadline or sometime during the draft, I won't be surprised if Benning acquires another 2nd.

Back to your question Derp, both are actually eerily similar now that you mention it. They are both awesome comparables, and I actually never thought of that until you mentioned it.

Konecny is 5'9. Good talent but so was Schroeder at the time. There are going to better players Available than him where we are picking.

Think of Konecny like a Schwartz or a Gallagher type of player, not somebody like a Schroeder or a Grimaldi type.

edit: Keep in mind that Schroeder's development didn't take the most traditional path that would translate into success. Things have changed in our organization since Schroeder's days of development (better prospect management, Utica Comets, etc.).

I was very impressed with Bittner's overall game . He was hard on the puck & worked in the corners to come out with it on multiple occasians . This looks like the play who we wish Kassian would have been . Uses his body more , less like a goon . The next was Pilon . I am not sure if it was a benefit of his comfort of playing with Provorov . However he was calm & made good first passes , and was good in his own end . Would be an excellent 2nd round pick for the Canucks . I would like us to pick up another 2nd in a Lack or Kassian trade . Then we could pick up another guy with Pilon . Such as Andersson/Spencer/Carlo . Although they did not stand out as much for me as the WheatKings pairing .

I was very impressed with Bittner's overall game . He was hard on the puck & worked in the corners to come out with it on multiple occasians . This looks like the play who we wish Kassian would have been . Uses his body more , less like a goon . The next was Pilon . I am not sure if it was a benefit of his comfort of playing with Provorov . However he was calm & made good first passes , and was good in his own end . Would be an excellent 2nd round pick for the Canucks . I would like us to pick up another 2nd in a Lack or Kassian trade . Then we could pick up another guy with Pilon . Such as Andersson/Spencer/Carlo . Although they did not stand out as much for me as the WheatKings pairing .

we should draft provorov in the 1st and pilon in the 2nd

we should draft provorov in the 1st and pilon in the 2nd

They had an advantage being a pairing the entire season of course they will look good together. Both are good picks, but this game was a tiny and unfair sample to use.

Having said that I would be okay with taking both of them if available.

Archived