The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen

HITMEN_FAN

Just an update to all the Canucks fans. Jake left Sundays game against the Brandon Wheat Kings in the third period. He did take a knee on knee hit late in the first period (no one came to his aid, but that's another topic for Hitmen Fans).

It appeared that he left the bench favoring his right shoulder. Following the game he was to make an appearance to sign autographs, while he did make the post game meet and greet he did not sign anything.

For the record I really like Jake, and I did expect him to crack the Canucks lineup next season, but his play with the Hitmen this year has raised questions about if he will be back in the WHL next season.

Jake is 18 and was 1 month away from being eligible for this year's draft.

Jake should absolutely without a doubt 100% be in the Dub next year. This year he didn't get a chance to develop during the spring or summer w. His shoulder injury.

No need to rush him whatsoever, and we need his body to grow and mature even more so that he can play that big and rugged physical game vs nhl pros who won't be bounced around as easily.

My time line for Jake.

- finish this season in the WHL.

- 15/16 get a full off-season training and play full season in the WHL and play for Canada JR's

-16/17. Play in the AHL and get call ups with the NuX.

-17/18 first full year w. The Nux.

Thanks man! awesome of you to come on here and give us an update. Jake seems like a talented player but I'm sure and other year in the WHL could do no harm what so ever. I hope he's not out to long and I hope these injuries aren't a sign he's gonna be the next Sami Salo lol. I guess the Hitmen haven't come out with any official report yet I take it.

After watching Virtanen play over the past few years, I will say this, he has more potential in the NHL then Sam Reinhart.

That might be a bit of a biased opinion.

Reinharts game will translate very well in the NHL. He thinks the game like Henrik Sedins and Joe Thornton.

Jake is 18 and was 1 month away from being eligible for this year's draft.

Jake should absolutely without a doubt 100% be in the Dub next year. This year he didn't get a chance to develop during the spring or summer w. His shoulder injury.

No need to rush him whatsoever, and we need his body to grow and mature even more so that he can play that big and rugged physical game vs nhl pros who won't be bounced around as easily.

My time line for Jake.

- finish this season in the WHL.

- 15/16 get a full off-season training and play full season in the WHL and play for Canada JR's

-16/17. Play in the AHL and get call ups with the NuX.

-17/18 first full year w. The Nux.

Come on ,people don't want to hear that kind of sound logic around here. They want it now.

From what I've seen of jake his game will translate very well as well.

Not saying it wouldn't, but better than Reinhart's if they both do well?

But OP, you should check out the sub-forum (Prospects & Utica Comets) where we have specific threads for each of our prospects. In this case, there's a Jake Virtanen Talk thread with lots of updates since we drafted him.

Hopefully it's not the same shoulder and he doesn't end up with some serious damage there. There's always a risk of drafting a kid who's already got some injury history but Virtanen won't be a Canuck for a while so hopefully it heals nicely and he gets in a full season in junior next year before getting his 9 games in the NHL the FOLLOWING season.

Jake is still very young and I think we should take the Horvat approach to him - round out his positional and defensive game FIRST in the junior leagues, even if that means staying an extra year, and then see how he fares in the AHL/NHL. His size and toughness won't be a problem, but consistency and positioning will be which is what he can learn a bit more in junior rather than in pro hockey, where young kids often learn how to play up to speed and up to toughness (which I believe Jake already has).

Lets hope they don't put Vcr needs ahead of Virtanen's development...he might become another Kassian style ending

Although he isn't lacking in drive and motivation so learning in the NHL may be fine for him. Evrey player is different, Bo coming in early is fine for him and it could be the same for jake. Kass just was a little immature and needed to learn a stronger work ethic before he was ready.

Archived