The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Simon Gagne will not return to Bruins for personal reasons

VanGnome

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/678874

Simon Gagne's season is over.

Boston Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli has announced that Gagne will not return from the indefinite absence he took in December to be with his ailing father, who has since passed away.

Gagne issued a thankful farewell on the team's official website:

The last month has been extremely difficult for me with my father being sick and his passing. To play in the NHL you have to be 100% mentally, emotionally and physically committed to the game. At this time I know that I cannot be close to those levels. The Bruins organization and my teammates have been great to my family and I during this time. When I decided not to return this season, I spoke to Peter and assured him that I did not want the organization or my teammates to be impacted. Together we made the decision that my status would be changed so that the team could have a full active roster. In addition, I would like to thank the fans and the NHL family for all of the support that they have given my family and I during this difficult time - it has truly meant a lot.

It's tough dealing with the loss of a family member. Hope he finds some way to find closure and move on with his life.

Archived