The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mortal Kombat X Reveal Trailer - Kitana & Kung Lao + Surprise!

Specter's Vengeance

And where's Smoke? I was actually pretty heartbroken on the loss of a lot of characters.

He's in the undead army, I think? They did a good job on creating a cast of good guys and fleshing them out in the last game, and the altenate universe Smoke was bad ass. But he died like Jade, and everyone else. Though some of the undead randomly seem to have gotten chosen to come back. Not enough of them.

The only people to survive unhurt were Johnny Cage and Sonya. In a lot of ways I thought the mass death and destruction worked, and they carried the storyline into this game. I liked the decision to have Johnny Cage and Sonya survive to usher in their kid as this new era's leader of sorts, and I think they were the right people to do that with, in that you would have expected them to die but you were able to round out their characters and the storyline on the whole with their presence. Plus they have this inherent classic-ness to them. I mean sure it seems that only the White Americans were able to survive the massacre, but it worked.

My issue was again that they could have thrown out the multiple stances/styles to bring back more of these fighters. It would have pleased a lot of people easily. You want a fresh roster and each Mortal Kombat has come with an overhaul in that respect, but with the last games roster being near perfect, it's a let down that there weren't enough returnees.

It's funny that from MK4 I've already seen Tanya and Fujin in the story, but even they aren't playable. They went insane trying to cram in new characters.

Edit: Well, they announced Tanya as DLC, but that just serves as evidence of how awful their DLC policy that I was talking about above is. If you wanted to put her in the game, why isn't she already there?

He's in the undead army, I think? They did a good job on creating a cast of good guys and fleshing them out in the last game, and the altenate universe Smoke was bad ass. But he died like Jade, and everyone else. Though some of the undead randomly seem to have gotten chosen to come back. Not enough of them.

The only people to survive unhurt were Johnny Cage and Sonya. In a lot of ways I thought the mass death and destruction worked, and they carried the storyline into this game. I liked the decision to have Johnny Cage and Sonya survive to usher in their kid as this new era's leader of sorts, and I think they were the right people to do that with, in that you would have expected them to die but you were able to round out their characters and the storyline on the whole with their presence. Plus they have this inherent classic-ness to them. I mean sure it seems that only the White Americans were able to survive the massacre, but it worked.

My issue was again that they could have thrown out the multiple stances/styles to bring back more of these fighters. It would have pleased a lot of people easily. You want a fresh roster and each Mortal Kombat has come with an overhaul in that respect, but with the last games roster being near perfect, it's a let down that there weren't enough returnees.

It's funny that from MK4 I've already seen Tanya and Fujin in the story, but even they aren't playable. They went insane trying to cram in new characters.

Edit: Well, they announced Tanya as DLC, but that just serves as evidence of how awful their DLC policy that I was talking about above is. If you wanted to put her in the game, why isn't she already there?

Jax survived too. He's not white. And his daughter is in the game.

I bought the 30$ pass and I'm disappointed. I love the game, don't get me wrong, but I expected to get the bonus characters right away. Jason Voorhees was just released and I think he sucks. The fatalities are cool, but not that cool.

All I want to do is play as Predator dammit!

Jax survived too. He's not white. And his daughter is in the game.

I bought the 30$ pass and I'm disappointed. I love the game, don't get me wrong, but I expected to get the bonus characters right away. Jason Voorhees was just released and I think he sucks. The fatalities are cool, but not that cool.

All I want to do is play as Predator dammit!

My buddy got season pass too. He said he also got easy combinations for fatalities with it. And 5$ for goro? Game is a rip off in my books.

Well Jax did die unlike those two. He just happened to come back through means in the story that i haven't gotten to yet.

And I can't buy that season pass. Not for $30. That's absurd, and I'm someone who loves Mortal Kombat.

It's a good game. Great game. Better in some ways to the last game even. But holy hell does this game have such a horrid DLC structure. It has enough fighters sure, but the manner in which these others were introduced and rolled out is exploitative.

I want to comment more on the game itself, and I will as I do log some hours and at least complete the story mode. But It's hard to say excited when the game wants me to spend $30 for a season pass of pre-announced roster additions that will not even complete my game in characters or other add ons. And there's the offer to spend $22 God damn dollars to bypass all the unlocks from the krypt instead of earning it in the game. That's not to forget Goro as a $6 day one DLC lockout to those that didn't grace them with a pre-order (or a pre-order from the correct vendor.)

It's not the only AAA game to release paid single player shortcuts, day one DLC, season passes, expensive add ons, or characters/campaigns that were clearly cut out just so that they could be charged for later, but I have to say it is the worst example of micro-transactions run amok that I've ever seen, and I have the game Evolve.

people keep claiming content is cut to use as dlc later but with nothing to actually back it up other than their opinion

i for one didn't pay this absurd amount on PC for the season pass in fact i got it for 15 dollars and i bought the game for 38 dollars

also again this needs to be drilled into every gamer's head most dlc is not needed to enjoy the game nobody is forcing gamer's to buy dlc

fyi i got the game and season pass from cdkeys.com advertised by ign it's a great site for cheap pc games i picked up Batman Arkham Knight premium edition with season pass for 42 dollars

people keep claiming content is cut to use as dlc later but with nothing to actually back it up other than their opinion

i for one didn't pay this absurd amount on PC for the season pass in fact i got it for 15 dollars and i bought the game for 38 dollars

also again this needs to be drilled into every gamer's head most dlc is not needed to enjoy the game nobody is forcing gamer's to buy dlc

fyi i got the game and season pass from cdkeys.com advertised by ign it's a great site for cheap pc games i picked up Batman Arkham Knight premium edition with season pass for 42 dollars

Wow why are these games on CDKeys.com so cheap? Craziness.

Arkham Knight with all DLC is $25 right now. Mortal Kombat $15 too. Da fack.

If DLC was more of just an add on type deal, then sure. But in this day and age it's not. That's why I called it out. Gamers are not a wise bunch with their money, that's why the DLCs in these games keep getting worse, and free to play crap is thriving.

Season passes as they stand are quite horrid though. I mention them because they're often designed to locking people into buying all this crap before it is released, reviewed, or quality assured, giving them as much money as possible and locking them into as many purchases as possible.

Maybe I get the idea of them chopping stuff out of the game when, I dunno, they announce the entire lineup of DLC and season pass content for a game months and months before the game is released. Just look at Arkham Knight. They're telling you all the stuff they just left out of the game well before release. Hell, when even IGN is calling these guys out as being "bonkers" and "insane," it's easy to argue that Warner Bros is taking it to far.

I know you did not pay $30 for it yourself, but these passes and purchases have to judged at their standard prices, not just what you were fortunate enough to pay for it.

None of this is including those Goro and Harley Quinn day one DLCs, which is the most obvious example of chopping something out of your game.

No one has gone as far as doing the "Capcom" where they're locking stuff on the disc, but I don't think you've missed them blurring the line as hard as possible as to what belongs to a base game and what they can charge extra for.

DLC at its best should be gauge where a game stands at release, judging fan experiences and seeing what add ons in terms of gameplay and stories/campaigns would be best. Instead they now want to put the cart before the horse and see if they can get people to commit to the majority of it, at a minor discount, and with only a vague understanding of what they're buying into. Don't promote that stuff before the game is even released, or in some cases before you can even release a screenshot or video of the actual game itself (now I'm talking about Evolve.)

edit: I just fought Tanya in the story mode. Yet she is one of the paid DLC and season pass character promises for regular kombat. What the hell is that? I don't even.

edit 2: Apparently there's a mod that lets you unlock and play as her and other finished characters you fight in story mode in regular kombat. Lol.

edit 3: Is there any other way to buy Jason Voorhees or these other Season Pass characters individually without commuting to them all? I can only find the all encompassing $30 "kombat pack." Am I missing something?

yes Jason Voorhees can be bought for 5.49 on steam by itself

depends on the game but even MK i have never felt the need to buy the dlc pack and in fact i didn't buy the kombat pack until a couple weeks after playing the game

Goro is one of those strange pre order dlc that get added to the store after the fact which essentially makes the whole pre order special pointless other than saving 5.49 and buying it early

funny thing i when i looked yesterday on my Steam account that the unlock everything in the krypt was added to my dlc for MK and apparently they gave it out for people losing their saves from the Jason dlc that screwed up everything kinda surprising they went out of their way to give this 20 dollar dlc pack

although now i am kinda wishing i didn't have it because i didn't earn this stuff myself considering removing it and starting over

• 3 weeks later...

This game really needed a longer story mode. Apart from being over too quickly, it felt like it was missing an entire act or so. What they had was well done, but they did themselves wrong by not providing more. Felt like it undercut the importance of their conflict, which given past material could have ended very poorly. I was surprised with what they managed to make work.

Also, within the story it felt like there were a few points where they could have cut in more people. Past characters doing nothing more than making short cameos. Li Mei just shortly explains her plight as a refugee. Frost gets frozen within her one second of screen time. Fujin cameos into the pre-Mortal Kombat X flashback for some reason before disappearing. Sareena just says hi and bye. Like I mentioned before, Baraka, Rain, Sindel, and Tanya are all designed fighters, but there's no in game way to unlock and play as them. (then there's the issue of trying to charge for them as DLC.) That's without mentioning Quan Chi's zombie fighters from the last game who didn't make it into this one as cameos.

I liked most of the fighters they added, but as I said before, trying to give every player mutlple fighting styles is something I would thrown aside for a bigger roster. There's so much more they could have done. There's enough that I can take away and enjoy, and I still have to unlock everyone's individual endings, but a lot of missed opportunity in an above average game.

So far, Cassie Cage and Kitana are still my easy favourites. Kotal Khan I cannot stand.

Also, the game should really be avoided for PC to anyone who has the option to get it for a console. It's a bad port. In my personal experience the worst one I've come across in a while.

Re the next game: I really don't want to have to face evil lui kang, kitana and company though. I'm sure they'll be pawns in something bigger, but in a sappy sense I was hoping they'd be saved.

I suppose at least it's something of a confirmation everyone is coming back, even if they're not good guys.

Archived