The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How secular family values stack up

Dral

Generalizing religious and secular folk is useless. I highly doubt there is a god, but I am definitely not an atheist, do I need a label?

from the article:

They are the offspring of an expanding secular population that includes a relatively new and burgeoning category of Americans called the “Nones,” so nicknamed because they identified themselves as believing in “nothing in particular”

from the article:

They are the offspring of an expanding secular population that includes a relatively new and burgeoning category of Americans called the “Nones,” so nicknamed because they identified themselves as believing in “nothing in particular”

I always get my back up, probably with no real justification. I hate being labeled even as not a having a label. I'm such a hipster....

That last part was a joke.

This is the part I found most interesting - less then 1 in every 200 people in jail is Atheist

I thought this was funny.

I remember one time I was at a skytrain station and some psycho was getting a ticket for not having a skytrain ticket.

He then started yelling at the transit police that they were atheists, and saying he didn't need one.

I called out I was an atheist as well, and then another guy did too. We both had tickets... So I guess when you follow an invisible made up god you're allowed to cheat the system.

Dumbass never thought to question how the skytrain is sustainable. It ain't your made up god,that's for sure.

I remember one time I was at a skytrain station and some psycho was getting a ticket for not having a skytrain ticket.

He then started yelling at the transit police that they were atheists, and saying he didn't need one.

I called out I was an atheist as well, and then another guy did too. We both had tickets... So I guess when you follow an invisible made up god you're allowed to cheat the system.

Dumbass never thought to question how the skytrain is sustainable. It ain't your made up god,that's for sure.

That's too funny - reminds me of the opening scene from Escape from LA where they are talking about how they turned LA into a prison where they can send America's worst of the worst.... murderers, rapists and atheists

Atheists or non-religious people are just as irrational as religious people imo..

The fact you're quick to definitely and confidently say "made up god" without even acknowledging the possibility of such entity makes me wonder how rational you are..

Science aside we have no conclusion of what happens in the afterlife or why we are here..

My personal approach is a wait and see type of deal in terms of afterlife that is..

I also don't try to put others down if they believe in God nor do I try to ram religion down people's throats.

Atheists or non-religious people are just as irrational as religious people imo..

The fact you're quick to definitely and confidently say "made up god" without even acknowledging the possibility of such entity makes me wonder how rational you are..

Science aside we have no conclusion of what happens in the afterlife or why we are here..

My personal approach is a wait and see type of deal in terms of afterlife that is..

I also don't try to put others down if they believe in God nor do I try to ram religion down people's throats.

Let me know how that works out for you ;)

True, there are atheists who believe in all sorts of ridiculous crap. Like, mind-bogglingly stupid stuff. There is a black atheist Youtube channel where the host said homosexuality is only natural in white folk, and black people can't be gay or some such. Or believing in ghosts, spirits, and other nonsense.

I'd still expect there to be much less atheist mouth breathers per 100 than compared to any religion, save for maybe the Jews, and only because many of them are atheist as well as Jewish.

As for god being made up, a god existing wouldn't change the fact that the gods of various religions are made up.

Atheism does not require anybody to be irrational. Some athiests are irrational... but that has nothing to do with atheism.

In fact, it is very rational to not acknowledge the existence of an afterlife, unless there was evidence of it.

Archived