The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jiří Šlégr Thread

Slegr

The Canucks have seen many fine defencemen play for them over the years. One of the most underrated of those, in my mind, is Jiří Slégr. He never got much fanfare, and never fully jived with the coaches de jour. But consider this - in 93/94 season, he amassed 38 points and 86 penalty minutes in 78 games for the Canucks.

Despite these solid stats offering both offensive flair and toughness, he sat in the press box during the Canucks infamous playoff run. Some argue that had he played in the post-season over the likes of Murzyn or Diduck, the Canucks would have been Cup champions that year.

This thread is dedicated to Jiří Slégr. I know you have been tempted to create your own threads about him, but lets try to keep all Slégr talk here folks!

Some interesting facts about Jiří:

- Drafted by the Canucks in 1990;

- His father also played for the Canucks; he is the estranged son of former defenceman Jiri Bubla;

- He played for the Canucks in two different decades - 1990-1993, and 2003/04;

- One of the very few past or present Canucks who is a member of the Triple Gold Club Having won a Stanley Cup, Gold Medal in World Champions and Gold Medal at the Olympics;

- In 2010, a candidate of the Czech Social Democratic Party, he was elected into the Chamber of Deputies of the Parliament of the Czech Republic;

- He currently plays for HC Litvínov of the Czech Extraliga

If Slegr played instead of Murzyn the Canucks would have been done in the 1st round.

I'm sure Gary Roberts would agree with me.

Ha! Perhaps, or maybe a wild Slegr slapshot on the power play would have broken Roberts' cake hole.

Lived in Calgary(hated the Flamers) during the late '80s. I won't bash Roberts however. He played the game almost like Dorsett, but with twice the skill. Heck of a player, strongly influenced by Ottawa's Kilrea.

The shoulder/back thing almost derailed his career. He did pay his dues with injuries; then he trained his way to health, & lengthened his career considerably. His experience merits respect.

Maybe but Murzyn tenderized Roberts for 7 games. I thought McLean was going to get injured from getting run so many times by Roberts.

Yup. What a savage series. Guys just getting mugged or chopped down (with real sticks). Playoffs back then basically meant you switched to lacrosse rules; all stickwork was fair game. They always show game 7 on TV so you see some of the non-calls, but for those that don't remember or weren't alive, that was both teams playing conservative not wanting to take a penalty in a game 7.

I liked Slegr, he could move the puck, but his slapshot made Courtnall's look accurate.

Yup. What a savage series. Guys just getting mugged or chopped down (with real sticks). Playoffs back then basically meant you switched to lacrosse rules; all stickwork was fair game. They always show game 7 on TV so you see some of the non-calls, but for those that don't remember or weren't alive, that was both teams playing conservative not wanting to take a penalty in a game 7.

I liked Slegr, he could move the puck, but his slapshot made Courtnall's look accurate.

I agree with all of that. I always thought it was exciting when Slegr wound up for a slap shot because you never knew where it was going. It had to be one of the fastest shots on the team though.

Slegr or Bubla....I take Bubla. Murzyn as Gretzky and Ronning said no one enjoyed playing against this guy he swung a stick like an axe. I always thought Slegr was a bottom 6 "D"

I can appreciate Murzyn's contributions to the team, but am also reminded about his limitations and faults. Namely, he was slower than dry camel snot, had no offensive upside and couldn't fight even though he tried too much.

I believe Slegr just wasn't given a big enough chance to prove himself with the Canucks. To me, it's no coincidence that teams like the Penguins and Red Wings picked him up after the Canucks. Scotty Bowman could see talent, and it helped him win one of his cups.

Archived