The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Interview on TSN 1040 - Jan 21

Giant Inflatable Beaver

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/canucks-gm-benning-talks-about-his-scouting-trip-and-current-road-tripjan-21-1.188757

Summary:

- Jim is currently on a scouting trip out east, soon to watch the prospects game and then catch Jared McCann play in Mississauga.

- If he is going to acquire someone, priority is a scoring forward. He will keep an eye on the future when making deals.

- Thinks that Nick Jensen has taken the next step in his development and could possibly end up being the scoring forward they need.

- Thinks Zack is a bit snake-bit and also just needs to keep working on his consistency and on working hard every night.

- Doesn't think Bieksa will be out for the whole season.

- Thinks Corrado is ready to be a full time NHLer. Likes his skating ability and first pass.

- Loves how Dorsett plays and thinks his work ethic is a great influence on Bo.

Sure sounds like Jensen may be up with the club, maybe during the break to get some practice time. Also, sounds like Coach may be giving another "welcome to the NHL" speech, this time to Corrado. If so, who goes when KB gets back, Stanton or Weber? I seriously doubt we could sneak either one through waivers, and there's too much invested in Sbisa, at least this year, to deal him.

I also agree with his opinion of Dorsett; I had no idea the guy could skate that well!

Sure sounds like Jensen may be up with the club, maybe during the break to get some practice time. Also, sounds like Coach may be giving another "welcome to the NHL" speech, this time to Corrado. If so, who goes when KB gets back, Stanton or Weber? I seriously doubt we could sneak either one through waivers, and there's too much invested in Sbisa, at least this year, to deal him.

I also agree with his opinion of Dorsett; I had no idea the guy could skate that well!

Stanton should never be benched IMO

Yeah, if he's gonna deal, he should rightly deal from strength. Lack/Markstrom look like the best candidates; Cannata and Eriksson don't look like NHL goalies (at least at this time).

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/canucks-gm-benning-talks-about-his-scouting-trip-and-current-road-tripjan-21-1.188757

Notes:

- Jim is currently on a scouting trip out east, soon to watch the prospects game and then catch Jared McCann play in Mississauga.

- If he is going to acquire someone, priority is a scoring forward. He will keep an eye on the future when making deals.

- Thinks that Nick Jensen has taken the next step in his development and could possibly end up being the scoring forward they need.

- Thinks Zack is a bit snake-bit and also just needs to keep working on his consistency and on working hard every night.

- Doesn't think Bieksa will be out for the whole season.

- Thinks Corrado is ready to be a full time NHLer. Likes his skating ability and first pass.

- Loves how Dorsett plays and think his work ethic is a great influence on Bo.

Ummm honestly this is all I heard

Notes:

- Real good player

- Good ability

- real well for us

- well

- real good x80

Just picking fun! One thing he said that I liked was that he thinks the team is where it should be standings wise and attributed success to the fact they roll 4 lines. The only time he didn't say "real good" about someone was Eddie when the subject of marky and him came up. He actually said Eddie's been excellent! Which could mean he's trying to boost his value for a trade? I know I'm reading between the lines way too much but I'm bored and that was the only time he didn't say real good or well. Either that or he truly thinks Eddie has been excellent and it slipped out.

You summed it up real good.

Thanks for the update. I like the emphasis on developing young players and bringing them along properly. However i would like to see a young guy like Jensen make a decent impact by the end of the season. With that said I wonder if Virtanen's progress and possibly challenging for a roster spot makes Kassian expendable. Had the chance to meet Virtanen and McCann at the ticket holder summit. Impressed with their size and maturity. McCann just came up to us and said "hey I'm Jared"

Archived