The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Save BC wolves

Outsiders

https://www.change.org/p/save-b-c-wolves

vMhhqTSTpdxnxqa-580x326-noPad.jpg

January 15, 2015

B.C. Government green-lights controversial wolf hunt in the South Selkirk and South Peace regions. As many as 184 wolves to be shot from helicopters.

Decades of habitat destruction and human encroachment have left BC’s mountain caribou on the edge of survival. Instead of protecting critical food and habitat for caribou, such as the lichen rich interior forests, the BC government has now placed the blame on wolves. Over 180 wolves are now being targeted for aerial killing in the next two months. These highly social and intelligent animals, icons of our natural heritage, should not be killed because of government negligence. Killing all the wolves in BC won’t bring the caribou back in the absence of habitat protection.

Wolves are highly social and intelligent animals and research shows that predator kill programs increase reproductive rates in wolves and destabilizes pack structure causing more predation of livestock and other non-native prey.

It is the view of Pacific Wild that this announcement is scientifically unsound and that wolves are being used as a scapegoat to divert attention from the fundamental problem of ongoing habitat destruction and displacement caused by human encroachment.

"This is not management, it’s a tax-payer funded kill program of one of our most iconic species.” said Ian McAllister, Conservation Director for Pacific Wild. "This is not only a horrific day for wolves in British Columbia but a sad day for public engagement and policy that will surely bring international condemnation to our borders."

*(PLEASE NOTE you are NOT donating to Pacific Wild when asked after you have signed the petition - you are donating to change.org)

Please consider DONATING to Pacific Wild's Save BC Wolves Indiegogo campaign here.
Learn more and support the campaign to end the wolf kill and educate the public about this issue.

Go to: www.pacificwild.org to learn more and take action

Share through social media: @pacificwild #saveBCwolves

Connect with us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter

Contact Pacific Wild: info@pacificwild.org

Pacific Wild is a B.C. based non-profit wildlife conservation organization and a leading advocate for changes to wolf management in British Columbia. www.pacificwild.org

This is a terribly subjective article. Wolves are terrible to most environments and do nothing but drive out native animal species and kill everything they see. The have no predators except humans. This is there country without our conservation. Im sorry for you, but I am a hunter and I have seen the effects of the wolves.

Caribou will thrive for many reasons:

1. Coyote, Fox, and Eagle populations will rise as there will be a major whole in competition without wolves.

Therefore, rabbits and other small animals will no longer be a cause of loss of food for the caribou.

2. There will be no competition with Caribou for control of land, allowing populations to grow.

Where's the "Don't kill the pine beetles" rant?

You never see anyone defending pine beetles. Should we just let mother nature take its course and let pine beetles ravage all of our trees? Or wolves kill all the caribou? And if so, then human beings are part of mother nature too. We are mammals. So we've developed tools (rifles) and should we be able to just kill whatever we want?

Just because wolves don't have the ability to be reasoned with (like humans do) doesn't mean they are free to do what they want. Culling animals is done in almost every country in the world. Lions are shot every year in Africa in order to reduce the population along with many other animals. Otherwise male lions would ravage everything in sight.

That being said, I think you just posted this to get a reaction. It would be like if I posted an article from PETA on here. It's an interesting form of trolling. Doubt you actually give a crap about wolves :)

This is a terribly subjective article. Wolves are terrible to most environments and do nothing but drive out native animal species and kill everything they see. The have no predators except humans. This is there country without our conservation. Im sorry for you, but I am a hunter and I have seen the effects of the wolves.

1. Coyote, Fox, and Eagle populations will rise as there will be a major whole in competition without wolves.

Therefore, rabbits and other small animals will no longer be a cause of loss of food for the caribou.

2. There will be no competition with Caribou for control of land, allowing populations to grow.

Guess we should be killing killer whales to then eh? They have no predators, salmon population would go up if they were gone.

You never see anyone defending pine beetles. Should we just let mother nature take its course and let pine beetles ravage all of our trees? Or wolves kill all the caribou? And if so, then human beings are part of mother nature too. We are mammals. So we've developed tools (rifles) and should we be able to just kill whatever we want?

Just because wolves don't have the ability to be reasoned with (like humans do) doesn't mean they are free to do what they want. Culling animals is done in almost every country in the world. Lions are shot every year in Africa in order to reduce the population along with many other animals. Otherwise male lions would ravage everything in sight.

That being said, I think you just posted this to get a reaction. It would be like if I posted an article from PETA on here. It's an interesting form of trolling. Doubt you actually give a crap about wolves :)

Ya i totally just posted this to get a reaction. You caught me... Seriously tho Donald, grow up and actually post something intelligent instead of spewing hate from your basement

Guess we should be killing killer whales to then eh? They have no predators, salmon population would go up if they were gone.

You're failing to take into account a perspective that looks at the entire ecological system. While I don't necessarily condone the mass culling of animals, I'd like to hear if you have any other solutions to deal with the endangerment of the caribou. Increasing food sources for them as presented in the article is a dead end - there's no point in doing so if there are no animals to eat it. Fact of the matter is if the wolves wipe out the entire caribou population, they'll likely run out of food themselves and end up dead.

Your killer whale example is also horrible. There's a serious lack of information regarding their abundance, and also a serious non-lack of salmon in the world.

Edit: I understand your stance, and I respect it. It's an ethical dilemma with a lose-lose outcome. I won't claim to be completely educated on the issue, because I'm not. But given the superficial details, I personally take the "for the greater good" stance. There are millions of these in the world every day. Let me say I'm just glad I'm not the one in charge of making these decisions.

Come back when you have a clue of what you are talking about.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/10/031029064909.htm

http://wolvesandtheirhabitat.weebly.com/the-role-of-the-wolf-in-the-ecosystem.html

Exactly.... Where are all the idiots who protested a controlled logging to control the pine beetle 20 years ago? I saw the damage of that first hand, the should be held financially responsible for the 1000s of jobs they cost in logging towns.

As someone who is hired to kill wolves yearly(right before calving season) I see no problem in this as long as wolves are not endangered. They are one of the most intelligent, elusive predators out there. There is a reason why the government is paying farmers a bounty on each head & why in BC they are considering making wolves open.

I'm sure everything - including wolves - did just fine before human intervention in the natural world. They regulated their own populations, since as the caribou population went so did the wolves since the caribou are their food source.

If human encroachment and other related factors are causing issues for the caribou, the trick there is to let that happen naturally, If any intervention is needed, it's to limit human encroachment while trying to fix the source of the problem we helped create, not trace the issue to the other end of the line and cut that end shorter.

Sad.

I have heard it told that the wolf and killer whale are one and the same. They have similar markings, behaviours, hunt in packs etc. and some stories say they can transform between the two forms. This is known as Kwii-hi-tsep.

Welcome to the concept of apex predation. Do you know what happened in Yellowstone Park when all the wolves were taken out?

Your first point doesn't make sense to me - the way it's worded.

that´s what a civilized country do...

debate about the possibility to kill some animals that are probably putting the enviroment in danger.

while here in Brazil they would simply kill the animals, complain and cry on TV and in the end people will blame the president...

at least in Canada they make a proposition, while here they kill 1st and then think later...

Au contraire

Archived