The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] 3 trades

ABNuck

2 positions that I feel we have plenty of depth/surplus: BU Goalies and bottom 6 forwards. Current needs are a top 6 forward and a top 4 D-man...plus if we can gain some trade depth for the future it would certainly make a few trades worthwhile. So let's try the following:

1st deal:

To BOS - Higgins/Markstrom

To VAN - Eriksson

(Bruins get capspace & can trade Svedberg, we get a top 6 F)

2nd deal:

To AZ - Kassian/Richardson/Burrows/2015 1st/2015 2nd

To Van - Yandle/Korpikoski/2015 1st

(Yotes get bigger & can move Vermette or Hanzal, we get a top 4 D + a way higher 1st round pick)

3rd deal:

To CAR - Sestito/Stanton

To VAN - 2015 2nd

(Canes get some toughness & a decent NHL D-man, we get a way higher 2nd round pick)

Leaves us with:

SEDIN/SEDIN/VRBATA

ERIKSSON/BONINO/MATTHIAS or HANSEN

KORPIKOSKI/VEY/MATTHIAS or HANSEN

DORSETT/HORVAT/JENSEN/McCANN or ZALEWSKI

EDLER/TANEV

HAMHUIS/YANDLE

SBISA/WEBER/CORRADO

Top 5 2015 1st

Top 5 2015 2nd

I know some of these deals seem to favor the Nucks but we're also trading with teams in desperation mode and may be able to take advantage of that. I know the obvious fleecing deal would be the AZ deal (taking their 1st) but I just don't feel that a high 1st is partcularly important to them...especially if they get our 1st plus can move one of their centreman to possibly get a 2nd 1st round pick this year (move to a bubble plyoff team and fleece them for their 1st).

I also realize that this requires getting a couple guys to waive their NTC's but hey, JB got Kesler to do it so who knows?

Thoughts?

1st trade I wouldn't do. Boston don't need Markstrom, and Higgins isn't much of an upgrade for Eriksson. Eriksson is way better and is useful for Boston. And if we are trading Markstrom/Higgins in a package, I want a few picks in there. Not a vet for a vet type trade unless it helps us in the future. Eriksson would just steal roster spots to our forthcoming prospects.

2nd trade is a no no. AZ will not want to trade their 1st rounder considering it could be a top 10 pick this year. They don't need Richardson and Burrows as again they will just steal spots from their younger upcoming prospects. Kassian hasn't proven jack. They wouldn't want to trade Yandle for two rental players in Richardson and Burrows. Exchaning our 1st for their 1st would be stupid on their part because they are going to have a much higher overall pick anyway with their 1st rounder. To add to that, Richardson is an upcoming UFA and I don't think Richardson would want to sign with them considering they aren't a playoff team and that there is a chance he might be bounced off their depth chart when youth starts piling on roster.

3rd trade Why would the Hurricans want Sestito? And as much as I love Stanton, isn't worth a 2nd round pick alone. At least not as of yet. Sestito I bet won't fetch a 6th or 7th rounder or and 8th or 9th (if there was even one now) considering that the player picked would have a much higher potential than Sestito himself.

No to these trades.

1st trade I wouldn't do. Boston don't need Markstrom, and Higgins isn't much of an upgrade for Eriksson. Eriksson is way better and is useful for Boston. And if we are trading Markstrom/Higgins in a package, I want a few picks in there. Not a vet for a vet type trade unless it helps us in the future. Eriksson would just steal roster spots to our forthcoming prospects.

2nd trade is a no no. AZ will not want to trade their 1st rounder considering it could be a top 10 pick this year. They don't need Richardson and Burrows as again they will just steal spots from their younger upcoming prospects. Kassian hasn't proven jack. They wouldn't want to trade Yandle for two rental players in Richardson and Burrows. Exchaning our 1st for their 1st would be stupid on their part because they are going to have a much higher overall pick anyway with their 1st rounder. To add to that, Richardson is an upcoming UFA and I don't think Richardson would want to sign with them considering they aren't a playoff team and that there is a chance he might be bounced off their depth chart when youth starts piling on roster.

3rd trade Why would the Hurricans want Sestito? And as much as I love Stanton, isn't worth a 2nd round pick alone. At least not as of yet. Sestito I bet won't fetch a 6th or 7th rounder or and 8th or 9th (if there was even one now) considering that the player picked would have a much higher potential than Sestito himself.

No to these trades.

/thread

waiver trash for a top 40 pick

brilliant

Not saying I agree with the trade, but...

Waiver trash? Are you serious?

Stanton was picked up on waivers, but that was because Chicago had no room for him at the time. Stanton is a good #5 D-man with potential to get a bit better.

1st proposal-pretty much as stated by Theoddcanuckling.

2nd proposal-(a) Is there any reason to think Burrows would waive to go to the Coyotes?

(B) Is there any reason to think Higgins would include the Coyotes in his choice of teams to go to?

(c ) Does Yandle have a ntc? If so, would he come to the Canucks?

(d) As the original poster indicated this deal seems to favour the Canucks. It's hard to imagine Arizona doing this deal. Even if one doesn't value the switch in picks highly, imo Yandle is worth more than the players being sent to Arizona.

3rd proposal-It would be nice for teams to give us 2nd round picks, but the Stanton/Sestito pair is worth more like a 4th imo, a low 3rd if lucky, and all of that value is on Stanton. Sestito has next to no trade value (some teams would probably consider him to have negative value) and Stanton, having been waived last year and having had a steady season, hasn't been good this year.

I dont think these trades would work even in NHL 13 BeAGM.

First trade would never happen. we would have to give up more

Second Trade would NEVER EVER EVER EVER happen. Yotes have the potential PICK to select McDavid WHYYYY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHYYYYYYY would they want burrows, richardson or kassian? They arent competing for a spot in the playoffs, and are super close to landing mcdavid or echiel.

3rd trade is sooooo off value i dont know where to begin. maybe saying that sestito isnt even worth a 6th round pick and stanton could go for a 3rd at most (thats being generous)

Thanks for the input guys but remember the MOST important factors in all of this...we're trading with desperate partners. No one can state with any certainty that any of these teams wouldn't bite a little on these proposals due to their desperate state.

1] BOSTON - MUST make capspace or they'll lose some of their young talent (currently they can't sign them all)

2] YOTES - Have PUBLICLY stated that they'll part with just about anyone currently on their roster (ie/ rebuild mode) so 2 - 1st round picks and 2 - 2nd round picks plus Kassian (former 1st round pick) plus veterans to fill spots for 2-3 years while they wait for the youth to develop might fit the bill perfectly.

3] CANES - Have you seen them play? Seriously? They suck bad, real bad. I think they're the worst "team" in the NHL...they need something. Their D-core is the worst in the League, they have ZERO toughness. I think an NHL D-man and a tough guy might be EXACTLY what they need to kickstart something. If they don't change their profile they will turn into the Oilers...pleantly of high draft picks and no team.

So I'd say these proposal are at least worth "proposing" to the suitors.

Thanks for the input guys but remember the MOST important factors in all of this...we're trading with desperate partners. No one can state with any certainty that any of these teams wouldn't bite a little on these proposals due to their desperate state.

1] BOSTON - MUST make capspace or they'll lose some of their young talent (currently they can't sign them all)

2] YOTES - Have PUBLICLY stated that they'll part with just about anyone currently on their roster (ie/ rebuild mode) so 2 - 1st round picks and 2 - 2nd round picks plus Kassian (former 1st round pick) plus veterans to fill spots for 2-3 years while they wait for the youth to develop might fit the bill perfectly.

3] CANES - Have you seen them play? Seriously? They suck bad, real bad. I think they're the worst "team" in the NHL...they need something. They're D-core is the worst in the League, they have ZERO toughness. I think an NHL D-man and a tough guy might be EXACTLY what they need to kickstart something. If they don't change they're profile they will turn into the Oilers...pleantly of high draft picks and no team.

Sestito and Stanton won't improve them in anyway. If YOU are the worst team in the NHL, then why the hell would you give up a potential high 2nd round pick with good players for a waiver wire pick up and waiver wire dump in Sestito?

3] CANES - Have you seen them play? Seriously? They suck bad, real bad. I think they're the worst "team" in the NHL...they need something. They're D-core is the worst in the League, they have ZERO toughness. I think an NHL D-man and a tough guy might be EXACTLY what they need to kickstart something. If they don't change they're profile they will turn into the Oilers...pleantly of high draft picks and no team.

ABNuck, you're not answering the objections from other posters at all. You've repeated your points as if you haven't seen what the objections are.

Trade 1-This is a bad deal from both sides. Boston gets worse now and the Canucks give up younger assets for older ones. Theoddcanuckling stated "And if we are trading Markstrom/Higgins in a package, I want a few picks in there. Not a vet for a vet type trade unless it helps us in the future. Eriksson would just steal roster spots to our forthcoming prospects." Your post doesn't answer those concerns. To be clear, I'm saying this is not a good trade for Vancouver. It doesn't matter that Boston has cap trouble-Markstrom is a young asset and should bring a young asset in return.

Trade 2-you didn't answer my points about no trade clauses. You also didn't state why Arizona is desperate in a way that causes them to want to make their team worse both now and in the future. What kind of desperation would cause a team to deliberately make itself worse?

Trade 3-You talk about how bad a team Carolina is and say that they need defence and toughness.

You ignore statements that Tom Sestito has no value. Remember, if the Hurricanes thought he had any value at all, he was available to them recently on waivers. They wouldn't have had to give anything up for him. They didn't want him.

Calgary recently waived one of their enforcers. He also went unclaimed. Carolina didn't want him.

If guys who can't play aren't claimed on waivers, why do you ascribe value to them? Clearly the Hurricanes don't.

If they want Sestito now, it is really simple. They can offer the Canucks a 7th rounder for him. They could get him for less if there was anything less they could offer in trade. They can also wait until the summer when Sestito will be an UFA that passed through waivers unclaimed and who since then has done nothing at all in the AHL. He's worth nothing. The Canucks don't want him and so far neither has anyone else wanted him.

There is no need to offer a real asset for him. They can have him for essentially nothing.

They have plenty of defencemen, but I'll grant you that Ryan Stanton, at least the Stanton of 2013-2014, might help their 3rd defence pairing. It isn't clear, but he might. The Hurricanes aren't going anywhere this year-there's no chance of them making the playoffs.

Let's make this clear. The Hurricanes are already 20 points out of a playoff spot and have 36 games left. If this horrible team turned it around and got 60% of the available points the rest of the season, they would miss the playoffs.

They are not in a playoff race. They cannot make the playoffs. They are contenders in the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes.

There's no reason to make a bad hockey trade to try for short term improvement.

If they do want to improve by getting a player for that pick, they have 29 possible trading partners, and until the draft to make a deal. Can anyone even suggest that Stanton is the best offer they'd get for that early 2nd round pick in a deep draft?

Sorry, ABNuck, but imo these proposals are among the most unrealistic I've seen on here.

Your post quoted above did nothing to even try to answer the reasons people are objecting to your proposals.

2 positions that I feel we have plenty of depth/surplus: BU Goalies and bottom 6 forwards. Current needs are a top 6 forward and a top 4 D-man...plus if we can gain some trade depth for the future it would certainly make a few trades worthwhile. So let's try the following:

1st deal:

To BOS - Higgins/Markstrom

To VAN - Eriksson

(Bruins get capspace & can trade Svedberg, we get a top 6 F)

2nd deal:

To AZ - Kassian/Richardson/Burrows/2015 1st/2015 2nd

To Van - Yandle/Korpikoski/2015 1st

(Yotes get bigger & can move Vermette or Hanzal, we get a top 4 D + a way higher 1st round pick)

3rd deal:

To CAR - Sestito/Stanton

To VAN - 2015 2nd

(Canes get some toughness & a decent NHL D-man, we get a way higher 2nd round pick)

Leaves us with:

SEDIN/SEDIN/VRBATA

ERIKSSON/BONINO/MATTHIAS or HANSEN

KORPIKOSKI/VEY/MATTHIAS or HANSEN

DORSETT/HORVAT/JENSEN/McCANN or ZALEWSKI

EDLER/TANEV

HAMHUIS/YANDLE

SBISA/WEBER/CORRADO

Top 5 2015 1st

Top 5 2015 2nd

I know some of these deals seem to favor the Nucks but we're also trading with teams in desperation mode and may be able to take advantage of that. I know the obvious fleecing deal would be the AZ deal (taking their 1st) but I just don't feel that a high 1st is partcularly important to them...especially if they get our 1st plus can move one of their centreman to possibly get a 2nd 1st round pick this year (move to a bubble plyoff team and fleece them for their 1st).

I also realize that this requires getting a couple guys to waive their NTC's but hey, JB got Kesler to do it so who knows?

Thoughts?

1st - Boston has Malcom Subban, Markstrom doesn't make sense for them. They have lots of 3rd liners as well, need scoring not an overpaid penalty killer.

2nd - Kassian (very little value right now) Burrows (overpaid) and Richardson (UFA to be - unlikely to resign) plus a mid round 1st for a high 1st and one of the best defenceman in the league? Good grief. Also you thing Az is desperate? They are salivating at the thought of the absolute randsom they'll get for Vermette, Michalek, Yandle, and maybe Hanzal.

3rd - Canes are NOT in desperation mode, they are in the Eichel race so their 2nd is = to a late 1st round pick. We'd be lucky to get that for Bieksa, let alone an AHL goon and a 6th/7th defenceman.

All deals refused by the other teams. + 1 to Barzal this thread should be closed.

OK OK OK I give up, you guys win...probably why I'm not an NHL GM. I think just about ANY proposal made on here will be (underlyingly) for the benefit of the Nucks...otherwise I'd be on another board suggesting we fleece the Canucks. All good points made guys but I will stand by MY point that these are 3 desperate teams and I think we'll see sometime between now and the summer that some fleecing of these teams will happen...I was just hoping that we could be the ones to do it.

OK OK OK I give up, you guys win...probably why I'm not an NHL GM. I think just about ANY proposal made on here will be (underlyingly) for the benefit of the Nucks...otherwise I'd be on another board suggesting we fleece the Canucks. All good points made guys but I will stand by MY point that these are 3 desperate teams and I think we'll see sometime between now and the summer that some fleecing of these teams will happen...I was just hoping that we could be the ones to do it.

Well I wouldn't call Boston a desperate team. While they are in the 2nd wild card spot, they are also 7 points above the next team below (albeit with less games in hand).

In fact, Carolina and Arizona are more likely to be rebuilding than be desperate to move up in the standings. Therefore, they are going to want assets that will help them longterm. While Stanton might be alright for Carolina, I think Carolina's more likely to want to keep their pick. Arizona will also not want to trade their first rounder if they want to rebuild.

Simply put, none of these trades make sense for the opposing team, desperate or not. Boston's not going to want to downgrade and Arizona and Carolina are likely going to want to keep their picks.

Archived