The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Winter blizzard: N.Y., N.J. declare states of emergency

tera_ha

• Up to 90 cm of snow headed for Northeast U.S.
  • New York considering travel ban on all main roads
  • Nearly 6,000 flights scheduled for Monday and Tuesday cancelled
  • Could be one of worst storms in N.Y. since record-keeping started in 1872
  • Biggest snowstorm recorded in Central Park 68.3 cm in February 2006

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/winter-blizzard-n-y-n-j-declare-states-of-emergency-1.2931446

haha

One of the greatest films, from top to bottom, to be released.

Spectacular acting, realistic visualizations and satisfying conclusion. The directing was one of the best too. It could very well challenge Dr. Strangelove on thinking about the consequences of our actions.

Highly underrated movie - shoulda drafted Kopitar.

One of the greatest films, from top to bottom, to be released.

Spectacular acting, realistic visualizations and satisfying conclusion. The directing was one of the best too. It could very well challenge Dr. Strangelove on thinking about the consequences of our actions.

Highly underrated movie - shoulda drafted Kopitar.

Agree its almost as good as Strangelove

Reminds me....just makes me want to share one of my favourite all time memories, being in NYC during Hurricane Sandy and standing in Times Square....almost alone about 2-3 AM. I could see maybe a dozen other people. That's a one in a million, I will probably never experience something like that again. Like something from a movie. The bright lights, everything about it, but nobody there but me, or almost nobody but me anyway.

http://antagonie.blogspot.ca/2012/12/apocalypse-week-death-by-global.html?m=1

There are, undoubtedly, ways of graphically depicting the destructive effects of climate change in a way that marries visceral thrills with thoughtful explication of why this is happening and how it can be stopped before time runs out, but we would do better not to look to the mind behind the unspeakably tedious American Godzilla to find those ways.

In fact, there was no small amount of concern at the time of the movie's 2004 release that The Day After Tomorrow would end up hurting the environmentalist causes it was nominally supporting, on account of being so incomprehensibly stupid and spitting out bad science at a rate that can hardly be quantified ; nothing as spectacularly garish as Emmerich's next disaster movie, 2012, which bases its entire drama on the existence of "mutated neutrinos", a concept that reveals a profound misunderstanding about the nature of mutation, or neutrinos, or probably both.

But there's something awfully special about TDAT's apparently earnest belief that ice ages occur in something like the fashion of a sci-fi freezing ray, creating a wall of instant-death freezing air that can, literally, be outrun.

A trite script - and "trite" really isn't doing justice to the degree to which The Day After Tomorrow has not a single thought, character, or line of dialogue that hadn't been run into the ground by the beginning of the '80s - is maybe the worst of the film's sins, but hardly the only one: of far greater concern to the film's actual purpose, which is neither dramaturgy nor consciousness-raising, but exciting the more prurient part of the audience's brain by demolishing things through the best CGI that 2004 money could buy.

Greatest movies about the consequences of our decisions imo:

2012, Day After Tomorrow, World War Z and Avatar. Impeccable acting, amazing visuals.

Honourable mention to Avengers. A great contemplation of the pros and cons nuclear warfare and shwarma.

http://antagonie.blogspot.ca/2012/12/apocalypse-week-death-by-global.html?m=1

Greatest movies about the consequences of our decisions imo:

2012, Day After Tomorrow, World War Z and Avatar. Impeccable acting, amazing visuals.

Honourable mention to Avengers. A great contemplation of the pros and cons nuclear warfare and shwarma.

All of those are awful movies. The only reason to watch them was effects, which are quickly getting dated.

Like they are really really bad. Hopefully I'm too tired at work to pick up on some serious sarcasm in this thread.

But the Day After Tomorrow being considered a good film is almost as bad as global warming itself. In fact that movie being considered good makes me want to increase global warming as humanity has no hope.

All of those are awful movies. The only reason to watch them was effects, which are quickly getting dated.

Like they are really really bad. Hopefully I'm too tired at work to pick up on some serious sarcasm in this thread.

But the Day After Tomorrow being considered a good film is almost as bad as global warming itself. In fact that movie being considered good makes me want to increase global warming as humanity has no hope.

there is only one person in this thread who wasn't sarcastic about their opinions, it's easy to pick out with fresh eyes. (take a guess)

I can't think of a $&!#tier one two punch of movies by one director with that big a budget than Day After Tomorrow and 2012.

there is only one person in this thread who wasn't sarcastic about their opinions, it's easy to pick out with fresh eyes. (take a guess)

I can't think of a craptier one two punch of movies by one director with that big a budget than Day After Tomorrow and 2012.

Paul W.S. Anderson.

/thread

Archived