The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Van could be interested in defenseman, Matt Bartkowski.

Odd.

The Vancouver Canucks were dealt a serious blow when it was announced that defenseman Kevin Bieksa would miss six-eight weeks after undergoing hand surgery.

The veteran blueline was second on the team in ice time and third in both hits and blocked shots.

Currently tied for the eighth and final playoff spot in the West, the Canucks can't afford to lose further ground to the Sharks or Jets or let the Flames pull away.

As such, Canucks GM Jim Benning may be forced to enact a deal or two ahead of the NHL's March trade deadline in order to shore up his roster for the expected, but not yet certain, postseason push.

It was revealed on a recent episode of TSN's Insider Trading, via NBC Sports, that Bieksa's absence has the team scouring the NHL landscape for blueline help, and, more specifically, they have been talking to the Boston Bruins and GM Peter Chiarelli about Matt Bartkowski.

"We'll keep an eye on the Vancouver Canucks obviously with Bieksa out for a long period of time (6-8 weeks after hand surgery). They're reaching out to teams and looking for help defensively.

"They've connected with the Boston Bruins with some interest in Bartkowski, but if they're going to make that move the Bruins are going to likely have to add a d-man themselves."

Interestingly, two Bruins scouts were spotted at Rogers Arena on Tuesday, according to Ben Kuzma of The Province.

As Kuzma notes, the Bruins are rumored to be seeking help on the wing and a potential Bartkowski deal for the Canucks and Benning could start and end with winger Zach Kassian headed to Boston.

"Boston has blueline signing priorities in RFAs Dougie Hamilton and Torey Krug, but UFA Matt Bartkowski, 26, is expendable. His expiring $1.25 million US contract is attractive and with his underachieving four assists in 20 games this season, he won't carry much contract leverage. The Bruins have been looking for a gritty winger and could covet Zack Kassian, 24, who has a year left at $2 million, in return for Bartkowski, who has fallen off his top-four form of a year ago."

The 26-year-old Bartkowski has appeared in only 20 games for the Bruins this season, managing just four assists; significantly lower numbers than he managed in 64 games last season. Kassian has battled a finger injury and has found the back of the net just two times in 25 game appearances.

With the unproven Frank Corrado next in line to replace Bieksa on the Vancouver blueline and facing limited defensive depth that could leave Benning and the Canucks in dire straits should another injury befall them, a Bartkowksi-Kassian deal may be a fit for both sides.

I really don't want Bartkowski. I really hope we don't trade Kassian for Bartkowski. But when you look at Kassian's trade value, it's an all time low.

Please Benning, no!

http://www.hngn.com/articles/64440/20150128/vancouver-canucks-rumors-bruins-matt-bartkowski-zach-kassian-deal-eyed-after-bieksa-injury.htm

It is?

Okay. lock it up then.

Relax. This is fresh content worth discussing. You have an article quoted in, plus you have your own input on it. You've done absolutely nothing wrong.

My question is: Do we really need another 'depth' defenseman?

Kassian should just be kept because trading him is not worth it. What you're getting in return for Kassian is junk, but at least Kassian adds a physical presence, along with some untapped offensive playmaking abilities. We really don't have a player of his type in the farm, I think.

I'd say no on Bartkowski, but really, it depends on what we're trading away.

Our roster has some good players, but the supporting cast is still too weak for a deep playoff push. It's hard to let go of decent players like Higgins and Richardson in favor of the unknown.

lol

No problem, but this will get mini modded to hell and your intelligence questioned.

It's the CDC way apparently

haha lol.

I'm still fairly new around here, so it'll take sometime until I get used to everybody. So Elvis apparently is the mini mod? Like moderator but a lesser rank? :P

im just teasing .

EDIT: BACK on topic:

Anyone here would do a Kassian-Bartkowski type deal? No way in Jupitar would I ever do that.

Eh, this is fine.

Yes!!!

Thanks for posting the recent article!

I'd like Krug + instead but as long as it isn't just Bartkowski this couldn't be the worst deal in the world.

Benning has a plan and I'm all for letting him implement it, however long it does take

In GMJB we trust!!!

Bartkowski is a pending UFA who is completely expendable to the Bruins and has been playing like crap. Even if you absolutely hate Kassian you should be hoping Benning is not this stupid. Bartkowski is a 5/6 dman at absolute best and needs babysitting even more than any of our other D including Corrado.

This is the kind of move that will turn us into the Calgary Flames of a few years ago in a hurry.

Bobby Sanguinetti and Frank Corrado are both reasonable options ahead of going and acquiring a guy like Bartkowski. If he is our playoff hope savior we may as well throw in the towel now. We don't need more depth dmen. We need QUALITY not QUANTITY.

Morrow or Hamilton are the only dmen on Boston I would want at this point. Even Krug is not going to have enough defensive protection in our current D to be effective so no to him too.

Bartkowski is a pending UFA who is completely expendable to the Bruins and has been playing like crap. Even if you absolutely hate Kassian you should be hoping Benning is not this stupid. Bartkowski is a 5/6 dman at absolute best and needs babysitting even more than any of our other D including Corrado.

This is the kind of move that will turn us into the Calgary Flames of a few years ago in a hurry.

Bobby Sanguinetti and Frank Corrado are both reasonable options ahead of going and acquiring a guy like Bartkowski. If he is our playoff hope savior we may as well throw in the towel now. We don't need more depth dmen. We need QUALITY not QUANTITY.

Morrow or Hamilton are the only dmen on Boston I would want at this point. Even Krug is not going to have enough defensive protection in our current D to be effective so no to him too.

Right on, Wally ..

Even though we have been discussing it all day in the other thread...lol.... Its dumb and we don't need another depth Dman.

Bartowski has been a healthy scratch half the season and adds nothing.... BUT. Kassians value is at an all time low, Don't expect to get heaps for him as he is right now.

Bartowski + 2nd rounder in this years draft is where I can see Z.Kass' value atm.

Bartowski

GP: 20
0 GOALS
4 ASSISTS

While Zach's production has been rubbish, I would rather keep him till he has more value and/or he gets to the level we expect...Rather than grabbing this guy ^

One report says his hockey IQ is questionable. I don't see how a poor mans Sbisa helps us. Doubt Benning would do this unless more was at play.

Archived