The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do you like your study/work music?

FramingDragon

I don't want to turn this into another "What are you listening to?" thread but it'd be interesting to create one that can function as a playlist when the midnight oil is burning midst a mountain of papers.

I personally prefer music with little lyrics so as not to interfere with my train of thought. Anyways, here are some I am enjoying immensely at the moment:

^ Totally forgot to mention Trent Reznor/ Atticus Ross although I have majority of the three albums. Question about Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, was it just me or were there far too many filler tracks that don't hold up well when listening alone?

so amazing

felt like this was better than the actual movie,

Old school Trent

^ Totally forgot to mention Trent Reznor/ Atticus Ross although I have majority of the three albums. Question about Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, was it just me or were there far too many filler tracks that don't hold up well when listening alone?

I don't know, of the three that's the one I know the least - it was just the first one that popped up on yt. My fav is the Social Network but I didn't see the whole thing.

Tried again and for some reason it came up as the top result, go figure.

and I'll throw in one other suggestion (I love this kind of music) - Jon Hopkins' Immunity. Not typically a big fan of trance but this is fantastic imo, feels like a living breathing organism. Definitely higher energy than the other stuff I posted. Nice videos as well.

The intercom at work broke and the radio was plumbed through it so we sit here in silence. Just the clicking of keyboards is all the music I hear. Though do I really miss soft favourites for the workplace? No. Silence does me just fine. The strange thing is, no one seems to be able to fix the intercom...or wants to fix it.

I like my music to be softer, perhaps on the instrumental side when studying/reading.

When working, anything would do just fine, except overplayed pop songs and/or Christmas songs (when in season).

Music can be distracting and counterproductive though.

http://songza.com/listen/essential-funk-songza/

I don't know the lyrics for 90% of the songs so I don't find myself getting distracted by the lyrics, and having it playing softly in the background gives me something to bob my head to while I read over dry material...

I used to listen to a lot of vitamin string quartet when I studied. It's all covers of popular songs but without any lyrics.

Dude, thanks for that!

Google'd the link for the lazy.

https://play.spotify.com/user/vitaminstringquartet/playlist/7ldrkXwDl6M3raePetDLjB

Totally agree with the lack of lyrics. I cant do much of anything with someone singing so they have to be at a minimal.

Also, I'm not the biggest Pink Floyd fan but I enjoy to space out to them once and awhile but NEVER while trying to get anything done. Impossible.

I prefer either old skool synthpop from late 70s, 80s. Or retrosynth, synthwave.

Old skool

New skool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLWX3Hbb_wo

Genre doesn't really matter...what works best for me is to put on something I've never heard before (so I usually try and find a random playlist on 8tracks that sounds intriguing) because if I try to study to music and beats I already know I'll drum on the table to the song and sing and not get any work done.

Archived