The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Clendening | D

Junkyard Dog

6', 190lbs, Right handed defenseman.

Drafted 36th overall in 2011 by the Blackhawks.

Traded for Gustav Forsling today.

As of now has 118 points and a +18 rating in 185 AHL games. 2 points and a +1 rating in 4 NHL games.

Talent Analysis (From Hockey's Future)

Clendening is an offensive defenseman blessed with superb puck-moving ability and on-ice vision. His excellent puck skills are one reason why many scouts are so high on Clendening. He can see plays develop and follows them quite well. He can also be found frequently jumping into plays too. Clendening's ability to move the puck and patience with it makes him an ideal quarterback on the power play. He makes very good decisions with the puck and distributes the puck very well. Clendening can also control the tempo of the game from the blue line. He is an excellent skater with good speed that can keep up with many of the faster opposing forwards. He also transitions quite well too. One area where Clendening will need to improve is keeping his feet moving more consistently. While he is known for his offensive prowess, Clendening is also solid defensively. He doesn't shy away from the physical side of the game and plays with a good deal of intensity. However, Clendening could stand to utilize his intensity and grit more to the benefit of his team. He possesses a very good shot and can get pucks to the net by taking quality chances.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/adam_clendening/

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=20714

Something I would like to point out. It is from the trade thread.

I think a big part of the reason why CHI traded him was because Clendening is a upcoming RFA and they don't have the depth or space for him to be re-signed and to make the bigs.

Kind of like the Vey deal.

6', 190lbs, Right handed defenseman.

Drafted 36th overall in 2011 by the Blackhawks.

Traded for Gustav Forsling today.

As of now has 118 points and a +18 rating in 185 AHL games. 2 points and a +1 rating in 4 NHL games.

Talent Analysis (From Hockey's Future)

Clendening is an offensive defenseman blessed with superb puck-moving ability and on-ice vision. His excellent puck skills are one reason why many scouts are so high on Clendening. He can see plays develop and follows them quite well. He can also be found frequently jumping into plays too. Clendening's ability to move the puck and patience with it makes him an ideal quarterback on the power play. He makes very good decisions with the puck and distributes the puck very well. Clendening can also control the tempo of the game from the blue line. He is an excellent skater with good speed that can keep up with many of the faster opposing forwards. He also transitions quite well too. One area where Clendening will need to improve is keeping his feet moving more consistently. While he is known for his offensive prowess, Clendening is also solid defensively. He doesn't shy away from the physical side of the game and plays with a good deal of intensity. However, Clendening could stand to utilize his intensity and grit more to the benefit of his team. He possesses a very good shot and can get pucks to the net by taking quality chances.

A lot of what we are currently missing in our lineup.

CHI rationale for trade: with Rundblad, TVR, Johns, Pokka, Hawks have many young RS D. Clendening will need waivers next season, would he...

...be guaranteed a spot on CHI blueline? Perhaps not. So VAN was looking for immediate but young pro-ready blueline help and had an asset...

...(Forsling) CHI was interested in. CHI parlayed one asset for a younger asset who is probably a couple of years away from playing.

And VAN gets a young D with offensive upside to put in their lineup now and help them battle for a playoff spot.

I like the fact Jimbo was on TSN today for a chat and didn't give a hint about any trades in the works. Then boom he does a deal with Chi-town to exchange prospects with the Canucks new right-handed D-man near ready to step into the line up in the big show.

Just what the twins need for the power play.

I like this trade. Vey and Clendening are good pick ups who have better AHL numbers then any of our other prospects.

Exactly what I thought too. Gonna miss Forsling, and I think he'll be a stud down trushoad but Eddy - Glenny is making me salivate.

As well as Forsling had played on the PP at the WJC, this is a great trade. Clendening can do most things Forsling can, but I think what separates him is that he is a good skater, and Forsling is not. Forsling is a PP QB, but he's not a puck mover because he can't skate the puck - Clendening can QB a PP and he can also skate the puck out. He's also a RHD, and a former 36th overall.

Yet another pickup of a prospect sitting in a log jam on the verge of being waiver eligible by JB (Vey from LA) - a product of a GM who keeps a roster/depth chart of every NHL team to take advantage of opportunities like this.

Extremely happy with this trade. Been very impressed with Clendening over the last year and have been dreaming about snagging him.

Also I enjoy the vindication of picking out relatively obscure players on other teams and then seeing JB pull the trigger to deal for them. Makes me feel like I actually know what I'm talking about! :lol:

The Blackhawks are really stacked with young defencemen, Runblad or Van Reimsdyke would have been nice but now we see what Clendening can do with more of an NHL look. I'd say he's less rounded out than Runblad and needs to work on his defensive game, but his puck moving ability is exactly what this future top 6 neefs.

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Clendening

Sbisa - Corrado

I like the fact Jimbo was on TSN today for a chat and didn't give a hint about any trades in the works. Then boom he does a deal with Chi-town to exchange prospects with the Canucks new right-handed D-man near ready to step into the line up in the big show.

funny you mention that, he actually did mention something about being fine with trading prospects for more developed young players....

Archived