The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The phone call that killed Gretzky-to-Canucks

Heretic

Apparently, Mr. McCaw made the mistake of pushing Gretzky to sign right now instead of waiting until the morning...else The Great one would have probably finished his career with the Canucks.

Edit: for the record I'm not saying I wish we had Gretzky back then - I doubt we would have had enough pieces for a Cup run....I just thought it's interesting how things tun out. As other have posted below, we probably wouldn't have gotten the Sedins...etc...

----------------------

If not for one pushy phone call back in 1996, Wayne Gretzky would have been a Vancouver Canuck.

Back in the summer of 1996, John McCaw, then owner of the Canucks, thought his team would be able to sign the Great One as a free agent after he had spent a half-season with the St. Louis Blues. The late Pat Quinn, then Vancouver’s president and general manager, was in charge of the negotiations.

“The Canucks had (Gretzky) signed at night verbally, and he (told Quinn), ‘Look. I’ll sign the papers formally in the morning,’ Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman told Sportsnet 590 The Fan’s Brady & Walker, Friday.

“McCaw got on the phone to Quinn (Vancouver’s president and GM) and said, ‘We want this done tonight.’ “

LISTEN: Elliotte Friedman talks Brodeur, Jets and how Gretzky nearly signed with Vancouver

Quinn told McCaw that Gretzky was committed and not to worry.

“No, no, no. We’re doing this tonight. I want it formalized. No questions,” McCaw instructed Quinn.

Quinn called Gretzky back and asked him to sign the papers that night.

Gretzky replied with: “I told you I’d sign them the morning.”

“Nope,” Quinn said. “I need to have it tonight.”

The whole deal blew up over that, Friedman explained.

Gretzky, we know, also considered signing with the Toronto Maple Leafs that off-season, before finally signing with the New York Rangers, where he would play the final three seasons of his career.

“It was a difficult summer. At one point I thought I was going to be a Vancouver Canuck and it fell through the wayside,” Gretzky said on the same radio show in 2013. “Everything happens for a reason, and I ended up signing with the New York Rangers… and truly enjoyed it.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/wayne-gretzky-vancouver-canucks-new-york-rangers-toronto-maple-leafs-pat-quinn/

&^@# McCaw, I think the guy was even considering to move the team at one point. No loyalty to the team, just wanted to make money and failed.

If only we had an owner who was willing to spend during the WCE era (remember, there was no salary cap), we would have a cup or two by now.

guys calm down, even if he did come to Vancouver he was in his twilight years, would not have made much a difference like he did with Edmonton. He would have brought people to the games and would have been a pleasure to have but his best days were behind him.

Who knows if we signed him and he became a star and made Bure stay maybe we would have been a bit better and then got a lower draft pick and miss out on drafting the sedins.

1. The wheeling and dealing began when Vancouver sent defenseman Bryan McCabe and a 2000 first-round pick [Ed. Note. -- This pick was acquired as part of the Pavel Bure trade to Florida.] to the Chicago Blackhawks (which became Pavel Vorobiev, who did next to nothing) for the fourth overall pick (which landed with the Rangers and became Brendl).

2. Brian Burke then sent the No. four selection and a pair of third-round picks to the Tampa Bay Lightning for the top overall pick. [Ed. Note. -- According to Burke, this wasn't easy.]

3. Next, Vancouver sent the top pick to the expansion Atlanta Thrashers for the No. two selection and a conditional 2000 third-rounder. The deal was that the Thrashers would take Stefan, leaving the Canucks to take the Sedins in sequential order. http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2010/10/16/looking-back-at-the-1999-draft-and-how-vancouver-drafted-the-sedins/

Had Gretzky come here and made an impact, and made Bure stay we would not have drafted the sedins. Even if Bure was still traded, if gretzky played well we would not have dropped to the third overall pick making drafting the sedins almost impossible.

Like Gretzky said everything happens for a reason.

guys calm down, even if he did come to Vancouver he was in his twilight years, would not have made much a difference like he did with Edmonton. He would have brought people to the games and would have been a pleasure to have but his best days were behind him.

Who knows if we signed him and he became a star and made Bure stay maybe we would have been a bit better and then got a lower draft pick and miss out on drafting the sedins. Just like he said everything happens for a reason.

It's funny to hear you tell other people to calm down, Mr. You Need to Provide a Source Immediately or You'll Get Banned.

frack McCaw, I think the guy was even considering to move the team at one point. No loyalty to the team, just wanted to make money and failed.

If only we had an owner who was willing to spend during the WCE era (remember, there was no salary cap), we would have a cup or two by now.

While McCaw was far from an deal owner, he ate the bills and kept the team through some lean times when his heart was not in it. Things could have gone a whole lot worse than they did.

Archived