The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bettman Provides Update on Expansion, Falling Dollar, World Cup of Hockey, New Advertising, KHL issues, Passing of Quinn

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/01/30/advertising-on-nhl-jerseys-bettman-youd-have-to-bring-me-kicking-and-screaming/

Ed Willes was at Rogers Arena this afternoon as NHL commissioner Gary Bettman swept through Vancouver. Here’s his report:

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman opened his press conference on Friday by saying: “If you’re expecting a major announcement, you’re going to be sorely disappointed.”

Say this for the man: He didn’t undersell his presence in Vancouver.

Still, in a 30-minute availability, Bettman touched on a variety of subjects of varying relevance and if he didn’t drop any bombshells, he was engaging, informative and his trademark condescension was kept to a minimum.

Here, such as they are, are the highlights:

seattleskyline-e1422656540702.jpg?w=460&

On expansion to Seattle: “I think the building situation remains uncertain. Based on my discussions with the mayor, and according to the mayor, it will remain uncertain for some period of time. As it relates to franchises, the three most important criteria are market, ownership and building. Until Seattle gets a handle on its building situation, I’m not sure, other than listening to their expression of interests, there’s much else to report.

“Just so we’re clear we’re not currently contemplating expansion anywhere. We are simply continuing to listen to expressions of interests in places like Seattle, like Las Vegas and like Quebec City.”

canadiandollar-e1422656603644.jpg?w=460&

On the impact of the falling Canadian dollar on the salary cap: “The cap isn’t falling off a cliff. In December I told the board (of governors) my rough estimate with the Canadian dollar at 88 cents, the cap would be $73 million. Last Saturday when I reported to the board, I said if the Canadian dollar was at 82 cents for the rest of the season, the cap would be $72.22 million or $72.23, And I said if the dollar was to drop to 80 cents for the rest of the season the cap would be roughly $71.7 million or $71.8.

“What that tells is maybe we’re dealing with a million or a couple of hundred of thousand differential. On a cap that’s over $70 million I’m not sure anyone should take that as a material difference.”

2014olympicgold-e1422656700417.jpg?w=460

On the new World Cup of Hockey versus the NHL’s participation in the Olympics: “The decision and the announcement of the World Cup had absolutely no bearing on the Olympic decision. That’s something we’ll have to do in good time with the Players Association. We’ll figure out whether it makes sense and whether or not the circumstances are right to continue doing. As everyone knows, it’s a bit of a balancing act but we have gone to the last five (Olympics).”

seguinswisshockey-e1422656771930.jpg?w=4

On the possibility of adding advertising to NHL sweaters: “I’m in no rush to put advertising on our sweaters. I like the history and tradition and the way they look. I’ve repeatedly said we wouldn’t be the first and you’d probably have to bring me kicking and screaming.”

hcsochifans-e1422656824172.jpg?w=460&h=3

On the economic crisis in Russia and the future of the KHL: “I’ve never viewed it as competition to the NHL. Hockey you want to thrive everywhere. I’ve always had questions in my own mind about the viability from an economic standpoint of what they were doing. Obviously the decline of the ruble has exacerbated that.”

patquinn-e1422656881375.jpg?w=460&h=307

On his attendance at Pat Quinn’s funeral in Vancouver: ” I viewed Pat not only as a friend, but someone who was an integral part of the NHL and the NHL family. He was a great hockey mind. He was somebody who excelled at all levels of the game. The game is better because of his presence. I wanted to pay my respects. He’s missed.”

I don't care how patronizing the author of this article was, the narrative in my mind was already set before I read it. I couldn't read Bettman's responses without hearing his nasally voice and seeing his head weaving and shaking like a damn bobblehead in my mind.

The guy is a clown, but whatever.

I don't care how patronizing the author of this article was, the narrative in my mind was already set before I read it. I couldn't read Bettman's responses without hearing his nasally voice and seeing his head weaving and shaking like a damn bobblehead in my mind.

The guy is a clown, but whatever.

I am pretty sure he's very happy about the KHL part... and just trying to be nonchalant about it.

Main points to take from this:

• Cap won't go down too much because of dollar
  • Expansion is not really finalized in any location, Seattle needs to sort out building issue.
  • Is not exactly celebrating at the bad health of the KHL
  • Advertising on sweaters not happening anytime soon
  • World Cup of Hockey unrelated to whether they go to the Olympics
  • He respected Quinn a lot

Main points to take from this:

• Cap won't go down too much because of dollar
  • Expansion is not really finalized in any location, Seattle needs to sort out building issue.
  • Is not exactly celebrating at the bad health of the KHL
  • Advertising on sweaters not happening anytime soon
  • World Cup of Hockey unrelated to whether they go to the Olympics
  • He respected Quinn a lot

Bettman would sound like a complete idiot if he took an arrogant spin on this. The economy is undergoing a currency war, where every country is de-valuing their money (sometimes deliberately) and lowering interest rates in order to try and boost their export economy. But when everybody does it, it's hard to expand the worldwide NHL market. The situation with the Canadian dollar might not be the exact same scenario as Russia, but what's happening right now is that the global economy is very unstable, which is probably making Bettman very nervous. Notice how he sorta tried to brush off the Canadian dollar question.

I used to hate Bettman as a kid because people told me he didn't care about Canada. Then I grew up and realized that he has been probably one of, if not the best, commissioners in NHL history.

It's not like he don't care about Canada. But he cares about the $$$$$ more which can only result if more people watch hockey in the states thus we have Arizona, Dallas, and Florida (They should be moved, Tampa is already getting the job done).

Archived