The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

One of my favourite Canucks still..

Creasecrasher

Watching the game tonight i was reminded of one of our best players that never really gets the respect he deserved. Yes sometimes he would float and piss us off.. but when he was on his game he was one of the best.

http://sabreslegends.blogspot.ca/2009/03/alexander-mogilny.html

On a side note...any one else remember "Mike Peca".

I think Teemu Selanne does! I also loved AM , but he didn't come cheap. Saying that, they did get Morrison for him.

Why the quotes on Mike Peca? Is that some famous impersonator of the real Mike Peca? Did Mike Peca talk in the 3rd person and was quoting himself?

I was excited to see the Mogilny move, I thought there might be a golden age with Bure, Linden and Mogilny all on the top line. Clearly didn't turn out that way, but oh well.

Watching the game tonight i was reminded of one of our best players that never really gets the respect he deserved. Yes sometimes he would float and piss us off.. but when he was on his game he was one of the best.

http://sabreslegends.blogspot.ca/2009/03/alexander-mogilny.html

On a side note...any one else remember "Mike Peca".

FWIW, I had a conversation several years ago with Troy Crowder, who for a short time was a teammate of Almo in Vancouver.

Crowder claimed that the "floater" label was undeserved and that he had never played with a more committed, or hard working player. The point being, those of us who juts watch from the stands, or from our couches, don't really have enough insight into what really goes on and often, our impressions of players is based on imperfect observations.

What I also found interesting is that TC wasn't a big fan of Pavel and Gino. He said that although Pavel was a hard worker, he was also a "me first" kind of player who would get upset with teammates and coaches when things weren't going well.

Gino, he said, was not the sharpest knife in the drawer and was basically Pavel's sidekick.

Karma for the stupid move by Keenan to dump him after a season he was voted team MVP and had like 35 goals. Just because he was in Linden's camp in the dressing room.

One in a long line of Canucks' miscalculations on whether to retain players. People like to bring up Willie Mitchell and Chritian Ehrhoff, but the tradition started long before that.

Not resigning Arturs Irbe and Cliff Ronning stand out as the dumbest moves to me. Letting Mike Santorelli walk isn't looking great either.

One in a long line of Canucks' miscalculations on whether to retain players. People like to bring up Willie Mitchell and Chritian Ehrhoff, but the tradition started long before that.

Not resigning Arturs Irbe and Cliff Ronning stand out as the dumbest moves to me. Letting Mike Santorelli walk isn't looking great either.

Completely agree on those other players too. Don't forget Larionov. Quinn was great mostly, but I'll never forgive him for both letting Ronning just walk away, and his bungling with Igor, and dragging his feet in paying off the Soviets. So Larionov chose to play a year in Switzerland so that Sovintersport would not continue to draw a portion of his salary. When he was available again, Quinn didn't even bother to try and re-acquire him. I can only imagine, but having him tutor Bure longer, and having him playing with Bure in '94, may have just pushed us over the edge that Final.

Completely agree on those other players too. Don't forget Larionov. Quinn was great mostly, but I'll never forgive him for both letting Ronning just walk away, and his bungling with Igor, and dragging his feet in paying off the Soviets. So Larionov chose to play a year in Switzerland so that Sovintersport would not continue to draw a portion of his salary. When he was available again, Quinn didn't even bother to try and re-acquire him. I can only imagine, but having him tutor Bure longer, and having him playing with Bure in '94, may have just pushed us over the edge that Final.

It's worse than that. They didn't "let him walk away" so much as they thought they could do better.

They went out and signed Alexander Semak, thinking he would be an upgrade over Ronning. Semak played 18 games for the Canucks in the '96-'97 season and amassed a whopping 3 points. Ronning OTOH, would go on to play 10 more seasons, (Mostly with Phoenix and Nashville) averaging around 50 pts per season...

It doesn't get much press, but it was one of the more spectacular blunders in Canucks' history.

It's worse than that. They didn't "let him walk away" so much as they thought they could do better.

They went out and signed Alexander Semak, thinking he would be an upgrade over Ronning. Semak played 18 games for the Canucks in the '96-'97 season and amassed a whopping 3 points. Ronning OTOH, would go on to play 10 more seasons, (Mostly with Phoenix and Nashville) averaging around 50 pts per season...

It doesn't get much press, but it was one of the more spectacular blunders in Canucks' history.

It was one of the only times that I have been disgusted with the team. Ronning basically begged to stay here and they told him where to go... Not sure if Semak was brought in as a replacement; as i remember (keeping in mind that memory is just internal rumor) they thought they were going to land The Great One.

Add Larionov

If you're talking favourite players then we must add big boy Dana Murzyn. Too slow to catch anyone bud he'd mow you down in front of our net. Mean crosschecks to the back as Kirk yells out timber. I Can still visualize Theo Fleury beating him too the outside and breaking in on Kirk only to see big Dana take a step inside to position himself for the last second desperation belly slide and inevitably knock the puck off Theo's stick with not a moment to spare. Loved that big slow moving ox. He sure wouldn't make it in today's game though.

I got to chat with one of my favourites last game I attended. Thanks Jyrki. Was also a big fan of Gelina's...he was exciting to watch. :)

And in response to Gino "not being the sharpest knife"....he played his role and it wasn't to calculate people's taxes. When you're paid to deliver and take blows (to the head), I'd imagine it gets a little cloudy at times. Besides, I'd likely question someone who says that about someone else more so than the subject they speak of.

FWIW, I had a conversation several years ago with Troy Crowder, who for a short time was a teammate of Almo in Vancouver.

Crowder claimed that the "floater" label was undeserved and that he had never played with a more committed, or hard working player. The point being, those of us who juts watch from the stands, or from our couches, don't really have enough insight into what really goes on and often, our impressions of players is based on imperfect observations.

What I also found interesting is that TC wasn't a big fan of Pavel and Gino. He said that although Pavel was a hard worker, he was also a "me first" kind of player who would get upset with teammates and coaches when things weren't going well.

Gino, he said, was not the sharpest knife in the drawer and was basically Pavel's sidekick.

Troy's comments here shed a light on how disfunctional the team was during this time. Bringing in to similar-type star players, who have their own seperate entourages, will only work to divide the lockerroom during losing periods. Add in the Messier/Linden fiasco, and you have a doomsday on your hands. I hate what Messier did here, but I hate the idiot who thought that bringing that fossil into town was a great idea more.

Ronning and Larionov are in my top 5 favourite canucks. I wass really disappointed when they left/were let go.

I so enjoyed watching Cliff turn people inside-out as he practically ducked between their legs...at his best, he was pretty amazing. And a very sportsmanlike player, which gets votes from me.

Troy's comments here shed a light on how disfunctional the team was during this time. Bringing in to similar-type star players, who have their own seperate entourages, will only work to divide the lockerroom during losing periods. Add in the Messier/Linden fiasco, and you have a doomsday on your hands. I hate what Messier did here, but I hate the idiot who thought that bringing that fossil into town was a great idea more.

I don't know for sure that it's ever been confirmed, but the Messier to Vancouver fiasco might have been more a case of sour grapes on the Canucks' part, rather than what they thought was a good hockey move.

The story goes, that after the Canucks botched the deal to bring Gretzky to Vancouver, they were desperate to make some sort of splash, just to save face. McCaw and/or Quinn (I don't think we'll ever know for sure what PQ's thoughts were) were convinced that the Gretzky camp were just using negotiations with the Canucks as leverage for a better deal with the Rangers. (which is the reason for the ill-advised late night "take it or leave it" phone call to Gretz)

When Gretzky did indeed sign with NY, the Canucks specifically targeted Messier, not because they thought it was a great move, but to get back at the Rags, for what they thought was shady dealings on the Gretzky front.

Idiotic indeed, if true....

The funny thing about the Linden team of the 90's is that everyone now regrets how the team was torn apart... but that wasn't the feeling around the city back then. It was very much like it is today where it was time to rebuild and trade everyone in a lot of people's opinion.

As someone alive and a Canucks fan during those years, fans were fed up with that team. They won the Smythe in 91-92, and 92-93 and were unable to espace the 2nd round both years. Then they have an off year in the regular season and were one goal away from being eliminated in the first round. Going in to game 5 in Calgary most people thought that'd be Quinn's last game as the Canucks coach. It was sickening. Half my friends were still Flames bandwagoners from the '89 cup win.

Coming back in the series and getting to the finals only took the pressure off that team until the next season, when anything less than going back to the finals was a failure. We had the best goal scorer in the league, if we couldn't win the cup, it was because everyone else on the team wasn't good enough. After the cup loss, the next year after we're swept out by Chicago. The year after that, out in first round to the Avs.

No one wanted to watch another year of the same guys have the same disappointing season.

Gelinas was our best player in a year we couldn't even make the playoffs. That's how bad the team had gotten. Gelinas had 4 goals in 24 games the year he was traded. Suddenly Ronning was too small. Linden wasn't a good enough leader (The Avalanche series for most fans from that era was a brutal declaration that our window was slammed shut. Linden was no Sakic. By 1997 the '94 run was ancient history), Linden wasn't a top 6 forward anymore. McLean wasn't a number 1 anymore. Everyone was only getting older and worse. Every core member of that team that was a big part of the team's earlier success became the anchor that sunk it to the bottom of the standings.

Time is flat circle.

Archived