The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Coach Willie...or Won't He?

Warhippy

Simply put.

Coach Willie has an exemplary resume. The guy wins. Period. All he's ever done is be successful in hockey. Happy to have him aboard.

But recent issues with line up, roster ice time etc have sent this forum aflame.

He has been VERY vocal in the media regarding consistency and it being rewarded where as failure will basically be punished by dwindling ice time or benching.

He has by some accounts given Vey better starts or at least mroe sheltered, more PP time etc. He has NOT sat Higgins Hansen Sbisa, Bieksa or any number of players with very casual play over the last few months though which goes against what he says. But he has done this to Sestito and Kassian.

Kassian played 2 great games, got benched for 2 games now. Probably deservedly so for his remarks to the media.

But this shows that Willie D possibly plays favorites or at the very least shows dissatisfaction with players.

Tonight we play a tough and physical Jets team with possibly the softest line up we've had in a decade. Our only tough guy on the blue line is out with injury, our toughest forward (when he plays tough) is currently riding the pine

Is there fear Willie D is playing favorites? Is Willie D over his head?

What do you think? And no this is not a Kassian thread, this is a pre season to present day thread regarding Coach Willie D's comments to the media vs his actions on the ice.

Does Coach Willie D play favourites and allow the country club mentality to persist? Or is he just finding his feet in the NHL?

All you need to know - Willie has been making it work with this teams’ sub-par roster. If it wasn't for him and we had practically any other coach, we'd be out of a playoff spot. He can only do so much coaching, the rest is on the players and from what we've seen, Willie has done a phenomenal job.

Faith and trust rarely exist in vancouver.

Hes a rumour what if Willie D knows what hes doing?

Its a tough concept but it is possible. This guy has had players like Kass many times beforr in his career just not on the stage that vancouver the fans and media present.

Trust and Faith

Would Calgary be where they are without Bouma, Bollig and Enggland? No way.

I know WD doesn't care for fighting but you need some big bruisers in your lineup (especially at home) so the opposition at the very least knows it's not going to be an easy night, that you must have your head on a swivel and no liberties will be allowed while playing against us (kess on dorsett). I Love skill but my lineup has muscle too. Insert Kass and Sestito to join Dorsett and Bieksa. Hey now we're not so easy to play against. Get in on the forecheck and lean on them.

Daniel. Hank. Burrows

Matthias. Bonino. Vrbata

Dorsett. Horvat. Kassian

Sestito. Vey. Hansen

Sit Sestito for Higgins vs the smaller and quicker teams.

I wouldn't say Kassian played two great games, more like 2 semi decent games where he didn't look like he should be playing in the New Zealand Ice Hockey League.

Attitude is infectious and one could argue that Kassian has been improving of late, however his public comments would suggest he does have certain attitude issues which may impact the team as a whole.

Slightly lesser player + Good attitude >>>>>>>>> Better player + Negative (self entitled) Attitude

Just my opinion but probably Coach WD's too!

My problem with Willie D is he needs to make players accountable for bad play. For instance, guys like Burrows, hansen, Vey, higgins , etc etc should also be benched if they play bad. No wonder Kassian keeps saying," I don't know what to do." Kassian is right in that sense, if other guys play bad they should also be benched. A fair rotation needs to be set up. For example. a game were Higgins is -2 0 shots; he deserves to be in press box. It should be best players get to play, regardless of seniority. Look at the elite coaches of the league, they always bench top guys if they are not going. Should be no different here, but it seems like Willie D and Linden are trying to create a seniority comes first enviornment. Hence, this makes guys like Kassian the odd man out. Hey, I ask you guys this question. Who will be the next odd man out, when Kassian is traded? Who will the fans blame next? Will it be another young player like Vey?

That is the problem I have with Willie D, at the moment, no accountability what so ever with the veterans. Its becoming a cake walk for veterans;therefore, a unfair environment to work in is being created by Willie D, and this is why Kassian is left clueless.

So we trade Kassian for nothing. Than fanbase can pick on another young player like Vey. lol

From what I have read in the Kassian's interview, and Willie's interview about the consistency in his play. When Zack said that "I don't even know what the hell is going on". To me, I think he does not understand what the coach wants from him and the coach said he knows. I think Zack is not a bright guy and it is plain to see because he is a visual guy as he is an artist as he likes to draw from one of his profile feature somewhere.

So what I am suggesting is that the coach has to find a way to get through him by holding a one on one video session of his recent games (last 4 games) with Willie and go through all details on what he did right and wrong. The best approach in the session is to let Zack making comments about his play on the ice during the video session on what he is thinking so that Willie learn a thing or two from Zack's mentally and to understand him better. Willie could ask him if he is doing the right thing on a specific play and what assignment he missed. To find out what Zack is thinking and to correct his thinking through the video by pointing out if he said he is doing right and the coach thinks differently then Willie needs to point this out shift by shift.

This is like a mirror and I think it should help him to see in a different light. I think he cannot see himself that he is not being consistency when he think he did the job done and the coach sees differently. Willie needs to show Zack on a few play where it hurts the team and why he could not trust him and make him understand that why the coach benches him because of the trust issue.

I don't think the coach has tried this approach to Zack yet. Drawing X and O on the board does not help Zack and the best way is the video session where the poetry in motion is there. Once Zack get it, he can be a light out for the team, gaining the trust between both individual. He is a skilled player and he just needs some guidance. Just my two cents.

Is there fear Willie D is playing favorites? Is Willie D over his head?

What do you think? And no this is not a Kassian thread, this is a pre season to present day thread regarding Coach Willie D's comments to the media vs his actions on the ice.

Does Coach Willie D play favourites and allow the country club mentality to persist? Or is he just finding his feet in the NHL?

5 questions. 5 answers.

No.

No.

I think he's doing fine.

No.

No.

People need to stop reading more out of his decisions - stop trying to micro manage him and just enjoy the game.

Try following another team for a month and you will find the exact same thing. Willie D did not invent this whole playing favourites notion nor is he the first coach to give his veterans the leeway they earned/deserved. Benching journeymen pros does not accomplish anything.

Try following another team for a month and you will find the exact same thing. Willie D did not invent this whole playing favourites notion nor is he the first coach to give his veterans the leeway they earned/deserved. Benching journeymen pros does not accomplish anything.

Your wrong, Quenville benched Kane back in the day and Richards has been benched on Hawks before.

I'm having serious doubts about whether Willie D is the right coach for this team. He plays favorites, the vets mail in a lot of games, can't seem to make adjustments to the powerplay etc.

I know it's awfully early,being half a season in. But I haven't liked what I've seen from our coach so far.

Again,

I am not saying Coach Willie D doesn't know what he's doing. In fact I made it very clear how successful he's been in his career.

I want to know if people think he plays favorites or at least holds things against players.

If he is truly holding everyone accountable why he hasn't sat anyone else.

And if he is actually allowing the country club casual attitude of our established core to continue

Archived