The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour-Eklund] Kane on his way out

Provost

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Evander-Kane-On-way-out-from-source-Price-is-very-high-Who-is-in/1/66105

Doesn't mention us. Would be a very interesting move if it ends up being true.

There are a couple of reasons why we shouldn't go in on it even though he is exactly the type of player we need:

1. If he is being traded because of disciplinary issues, there will be teams that ignore that and pay full market price for him... and he should be discounted.

2. If it is disciplinary reasons, being scratched last night while in Vancouver probably bodes poorly for what his behaviour would be if he lived here. Too many friends and opportunities/temptation to screw up. This is probably the worst destination for him in that regard.

In my perception Kane hates playing in Winnipeg, and is why he's doing everything he can to get traded. Also he has said he would love to play here, so I think if he was traded here he just may put everything he has into being the player he can be.

Something to think about.

Would give up quite a bit for E.Kane. BC boy who loves Vancouver. He obviously would want to play here and may tell his agent that Vancouver is a top choice.

Given that, Kassian + would be needed. I'd consider throwing in Jensen for sure. Don't think we would have the cap space for him though (Do we?)

In my perception Kane hates playing in Winnipeg, and is why he's doing everything he can to get traded. Also he has said he would love to play here, so I think if he was traded here he just may put everything he has into being the player he can be.

I totally buy that as a possibility. I do think that you have to price in the risk that won't happen when making a trade offer for him. I don't think Winnipeg is going to do that because there will be other teams who pay full freight on his trade value.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards this being closer to the truth. Contrary to what others think, I think he'll clean up his act under a microscope, not wanting to be embarrassed.

Pure rumor based on healthy scratch. As a fan of both the Jets and Canucks, but living in Winnipeg, I can tell you the reasoning behind why he was scratched. Fairly simple actually.

Kane, while playing incredibly solid two-way hockey on the third line with Adam Lowry has been asked to step up offensively due to the fact that he is getting paid like a first line player. While he has a really solid wrist/snap shot, he doesn't do a whole lot else offensively. He's not creating plays, he's not dangling, and he has't been hitting the target like he did back in 2011. Combine this with the fact that the Jets were on a 4 game losing skid going into Vancouver, Paul Maurice made a decision to scratch Kane and move Byfuglien back up front to light a fire underneath the team, and his key players, to let them know that this won't continue.

No trade involving Kane is likely to happen during the season. Come the off-season, I'd first expect Bogosian to be shipped out first. Once they see what the return is for Bogo, combined with how Petan and Ehlers develop, then we can see where, when, and who Kane gets traded to.

Archived