The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evander Kane to have season ending shoulder surgery; out 4-6 months

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets-evander-kane-needs-shoulder-surgery/

The tumultuous week of Evander Kane has concluded with what should be a season-ending decision.

Winnipeg Jets coach Paul Maurice announced Friday that Kane needs surgery on his shoulder. The usual timeline for recovery from the procedure is four to six months.

Kane was placed on injured reserve Thursday, hours after Sportnet's Chris Johnston reported an incident with Jets teammates that led to Kane skipping Tuesday's game versus the Vancouver Canucks.

Maurice explained Kane's absence from the Canucks game as a "coach's decision."

LUKE FOX

FEBRUARY 6, 2015, 12:32 PM

The tumultuous week of Evander Kane has concluded with what should be a season-ending decision.

Winnipeg Jets coach Paul Maurice announced Friday that Kane needs surgery on his shoulder. The usual timeline for recovery from the procedure is four to six months.

Kane was placed on injured reserve Thursday, hours after Sportnets Chris Johnston reported an incident with Jets teammates that led to Kane skipping Tuesdays game versus the Vancouver Canucks.

Maurice explained Kanes absence from the Canucks game as a coachs decision.

With Kane and his team seemingly at odds, the young forward was reportedly on the trading block at a lowered price.

Surgery should squash the trade chatter until the off-season.

In 37 games this season, the 23-year-old scored 10 goals and 12 assists while playing through some pain.

Winnipeg recalled forward Patrice Cormier from the AHLs St. John's IceCaps Thursday to fill Kane's roster spot. It is the fourth time this season Cormier has been called up by the Jets, but he has yet to play in a game.

The Jets, trying to maintain a wild-card spot, have lost five consecutive games.

Winnipeg (26-18-9) hosts Chicago Friday night at 8 p.m. ET.

Well he's off the market for now and that'll just lower his value even more come the offseason.

Even though he has attitude problems (which I really hate about him), I wouldn't mind if JB got him. JB likes buying low and right now, this is as low as Kane's value will ever be. He's lost his step but has a knack of scoring and his history shows. Contract is pretty rich but not crazy. Maybe send Higgins back from some cap relief? Idk, but this could very well be another low-risk, high-reward deal.

Lack scoring and this could be go either way if he's traded. I wouldn't mind a Higgins + Jensen trade.

I think that we should wait and see how we are doing closer to the deadline, and if we are out of the picture, we could actually trade at the deadline for him.

As you stated, this injury and his recent attitude issues have put Kane's price the lowest it has been in years. With that said, the moment he is healthy, his value will come back up somewhat as it means he has resolved some issues that had been hindering his production.

If it becomes clear that the Canucks are not making the playoffs this year (which I still hope we do), I wouldn't be against trading for Kane at the deadline, even though he won't be able to play until next season. This gives the Canucks a chance to try out some of their other rookies to fill the voids left by whatever players are going the other way, and it will really help expedite our re-build/re-tool.

Might be the best time to "buy low" only problem is it doesnt help us now/ this year

We don't need help now or this year. We never did, we were always going be either a bubble wildcard team, or in contention for a Top 10 draft pick.

Personally, based on the trend, we're more likely to hit a T10 pick than come anywhere near the playoffs, and I'm quite fine with that. This team is broken, and needs an absolute overhaul. It's just time for a change, a big change.

It's been about a decade of the "same kind of team" and it's just not working any more.

You guys think Higgins + Jensen would be fair? Now I'm not one to overvalue as Kane is such an overrated player and his value is low. Some people think he can get 3-4 pieces but that'll never happen. A team would be doing a favour for Winnipeg just by getting him and for the Jets to get a replacement (Higgy) plus a solid prospect (Jensen) imo is more than fair.

Nucks can try him on the 2nd line besides Bonino come next season and see if he picks it up. If he doesn't, oh well.

As soon as it was speculated he needed surgery I knew they'd shut him down and do it now. The last few days have completely ruined his trade value. Good luck with the surgery Evander, you'll be lifting stacks of cash on your back again in no time!

In Dreger's report that he posted this morning he suggests that the Canucks will still have interest in Kane. http://www.tsn.ca/dreger-report-any-takers-for-injured-kane-1.201337

If it is allowed to trade an injured player then I think we should trade for him ASAP. Give up a roster player and a prospect or something, next years 1st whatever it takes (just not this years 1st), and then bring up Jensen (if he's not the one traded) and let him play. Hopefully this move will make us weaker and allow us to miss the playoffs. We miss the playoffs we can grab a top 15 pick from this years draft (preferably a d-man). Kane is only 23 and with the prospect that we could potentially grab in the top 15, this would help us tremendously going forward.

Yeah I know you should never be trying to miss the playoffs but if you are looking at the future of this team then IMO this is the way to go.

Also his value will most likely never be lower. We wait until the off season then there will be several more teams in the bidding which drives his price up. I don't think that the Jets will want to wait until the off season to unload him cause the hole Kane leaves in their lineup may cost them their playoff spot. If they can trade him now and get a roster player or two in return then I think they would do that to try and help their playoff push.

This is all dependent on whether you can trade an injured player. But with the way everyone is talking it sounds like you can.

Perhaps his locker room issues were the result of a perception by his teammates that he wasn't doing enough while requiring shoulder surgery. I am on the fence on whether I would want him here, I think he needs a Capt Serious type around to keep him on the straight and narrow.

You guys think Higgins + Jensen would be fair? Now I'm not one to overvalue as Kane is such an overrated player and his value is low. Some people think he can get 3-4 pieces but that'll never happen. A team would be doing a favour for Winnipeg just by getting him and for the Jets to get a replacement (Higgy) plus a solid prospect (Jensen) imo is more than fair.

Nucks can try him on the 2nd line besides Bonino come next season and see if he picks it up. If he doesn't, oh well.

I think that is more than fair. I think the Jets may be interested in Kassian as well since he fits in with their style of play. I would prefer to dump one of our plethora of 6/7 defenceman instead of Jensen though.

Kassian and one of Sbisa/Stanton/Weber, or Higgins and one of Sbisa/Stanton and Weber. Maybe toss in a 3rd for next years draft since Jensen is worth more than any of those defenders.

That's an Oilers lineup. You should really put an old guy on the wing to keep the young players level and make sure they don't get overwhelmed.

I don't think he meant to play that line next year. Think he meant in 5 years down the road, that could be our first line.

That's an Oilers lineup. You should really put an old guy on the wing to keep the young players level and make sure they don't get overwhelmed.

Bo's a special player, his demeanor and maturity remind me of Toews. I think Bo CAN be that presence of wisdom DESPITE his age. There's a reason he's so highly coveted.

We have seen many celebraties from Vancouver/Lower Mainland do very well in their respective professions. What many of them have in common is class and being respectable.

However, it appears that we might have bred our first prima-donna in Kane. You could even add Lucic's name next to Kane's. Both are Vancouver Giants alumni, who have played for one of junior hockey's greatest coaches.

What has happened to Kane? He appeared to be a down-to-earth guy when he was with the Giants. Any negative influence from his Atlanta days? Not having any decent mentorship? Overpaid for having just one 30-goal season?

Let's hope his long-term injury and his recovery make him grow up. However, I don't want his negative image in Canucks colours. He's a potential dressing room divider. Like Kesler was.

Archived