The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is Horvat capable of replacing Richardson for 3rd line center?

Odd.

Sedin/Sedin/Vrbata

Higgins/Bonino/Burrows

Matthias/Richardson/Kassian

Dorsett/Horvat/Hansen

Vey

Most of this year, our lines looked like the above. Recently, Horvat has been playing pretty swell(excellent) hockey. That "fourth line" to me, has been the turning point in games recently. Yesterday, Horvat's goal really gave the team momentum to push for more goals and we won 5-0 against the Penguins.

But when you look at the future, we have Richardson, Matthias, and Dorsett that are all UFA's. It's preferred to keep at least 2 of the 3. Matthias and Dorsett provide grit and toughness in our bottom 6. They are guys that are fast at skating, grind it out, get to the dirty areas, and provide skill. Matthias is under-rated here for his skill set. He's great and he's definitely a keeper.

But when you look at Richardson, he's a center, he's injured at the moment, and he's 30 years old. Richardson is not a 4th line center. He's a 3rd line center. And when you see his age, compared to Horvat who is 19, there is a 11 year age difference. If we want youth to slowly come and join our team, we need to off load guys like Richardson and replace him with players that are capable of filling his role. I think Horvat is more than capable of doing that. We save more cap space, we will then be younger as team, and actually begin the process of "youth movement" into our line-up. Richardson's presence will be missed, and as much as I like him as player however, he's someone that looks to be the odd man out.

Would you guys let Richardson walk if Horvat is capable of filing that 3rd line center role? He's deserved his minutes, 19 years old, and compared to Richardson, Horvat provides more skill. Maybe getting a pick or a young high risk, high reward type player out of Richardson come trade deadline? Either that, or Benning can let him walk if he is 100% sure that Horvat is capable of 3rd line center role.

Thoughts to this? Any ideas? Should we offload either Matthias, Dorsett, or Richardson?

discuss.

I would prefer to keep them all but if we can't then I think that Richardson is the odd man out. If were certain that we can't resign Richardson then I think we should trade if to a contender for a 3rd or 4th round pick. He provides depth and defensive awareness and would fit perfectly into a 3rd or 4th line role for a contender pushing for the cup.

Is he capable? Hell yea. Will he? Nope.

Bo is developing beautifully and there's no point in rushing him and forcing him in a position where he shouldn't be. 4th line is honestly the best case for him this season and it's shown as games have come and gone. And some times like yesterday, Bo's line technically was the 2nd line out there. Anyways, less is more.

Can he?

Yes

Will he?

No

Let him play out his season. Don't rush the kid. Ease him into some 2nd PP unit time.

Next season he can replace Richardson, this season he can learn the ropes.

Right on. Around here, one of our players score a few goals in quick succession and CDC goes rampant about replacing another player with him. Horvat is doing very very nicely. He appears to get what is going on out there. He has lots to learn yet so let's not put him into a situation where too much is expected of him all at one time. Richardson is good at the dot so don't scratch him off just quite yet. He is also good at the PK. Bonino is the one that is a mystery to me. He is in a drought right now and as second line center needs to pick it up.

Last night against the Pens was the best hustle I have seen from everyone in a long time. Even big Kass made a mark out there. How about two games in a row like that now. Good game

The best thing I like about your post is you left Vey sitting in the press box.

Well Ya vey is a guy who you use to plug a hole in your line up with or to spark a line. Who would take out?!

Horvat is flourishing in his role so there's no point in risking putting too much on his plate. Leave it to the veteran Richardson when possible

I think he already has really. By playoff time, Bo will be really impressing

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Matthias-Bonino-Vrbata

Dorsett-Horvat-Hansen

Higgins-Richardson-Kassian

Dorsett has incredible chemistry with Bo, wouldn't want them split. Plus Dorsetts heart and grit will be great in the post season.

That line will be played a ton. We basically have 2 very good 3C's

I wouldn't mind seeing him try. In such a deep draft this year we need to do everything we can to move up so packaging our veterans and late round picks would be nice. I'd also be really nice to potentially free up the fourth C role for Gaunce next year.

Richardson is underrated and underespected. Consistently, over the last 2 years he has payed well in whatever role we put him in. 4c, 3c, left wing, PK etc. On often occasions his line seems to be the best when the Sedins are off. Richardson brings a lot to this team. Horvat will need time before he can replace him

Bo was lined up against some of the best players in the world last night, and did just fine. Wish I could find out who his faceoff wins were against. Who cares what line it is...just give him minutes if he plays like that. Its too early to call him a 2nd line C, but last night, he looked that way.

Archived