The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Anyone else think Free Agents will go cheap at the deadline?

Here's what I'm thinking:

There are a lot of teams which are planning on tanking for the draft, and who want to unload their free agents for draft choices. Toronto for one... they want to get rid of their high priced and useless bunch.

Everyone want to get their fingers on a 1st round pick which is in the lottery... the team which wins McDavid is going to be set for 10 years.

But in my opinion, those 1st rounder picks are going be like rare diamonds... no GM is going to want to part with them and then have their pick turn out to be the one which wins the lottery.

So the price which will need to be paid in free agents to move up in the draft is going to be HIGH.

Thats going to translate to the costs for 2nd rounders and 3rd rounders too.

So while there are a lot of people on these boards who are thinking Vancouver should be offloading anyone and everyone, and who expect golden choices in return... good luck, it ain't gonna happen.

I think the price of a 1st rounder or moving up is going to double over what it might usually be.

This also means there may be some bargains out there... hope Benning might keep his eyes open for some player deal which does not involve draft picks.

I just hope Benning doesn't go after rentals, only to lose them in FA.

Derek Roy is a great example of BAD HOCKEY TRADES. Giving up a prospect for a rental that plays less then 20 games and then runs away in FA.

Higgins, Richardson, etc are the guys we need to trade to get decent picks or high risk/high reward players.

After reading the title I was come in and flame you by saying they never go cheap and never will.

But you actually make a lot of sense. However, they are others ways to pay for rental, either past 1st rounder or you can expect more 2016 1st rounder traded than 2015. Also, all it take is two teams that enter in a bid war, and suddenly the prices are right up there again.

But I agree you might see more trades this year, with team offloading UFA and contender might get better prices, but still, they won't be that much cheaper I believe.

Higgins, Hansen, Richardson, Lack, Sbisa, and Weber need to go. Time to clean house.

This isn't cleaning house, moving peripheral players, even damn good ones doesn't really change things all that much.

Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler, these are the guys who would equal "cleaning house" if they were moved.

Kesler was on that list too.

I agree with OP. This is a buyers market for sure.

The 8 teams that will make the playoffs in the east are essentially already sorted out. In the west we already have 4 teams all but guaranteed as well. The only area of question is SJ, Van, Cgy, Wpg, Min, LA, Dal vying for 4 spots and I expect at least 2 of those teams to fall out enough by March 1st. So really we will have 12 sellers and 5 either way teams. It is going to be a very saturated market for shipping out vets and upcoming ufas.

That said that also means I really don't want to fall out of a playoff spot (aside from wanting playoffs in general), because guys that we would likely think about moving out in that case (Matthias, Dorsett, Richardson, Higgins, Hansen, Weber, lack, etc.) wont garner much return this year and are more valuable on the roster than off. I only see maybe 1 or 2 assets there that could get us a 2nd in a sellers market, let alone a year like this.

Once Tanev and Bieksa come back, we may move a D-man...but then again, we're probably more likely to just send down Corrado. We can never seem to have enough defensive depth.

Kassian may get moved, but then again, with his current struggles there's not a lot of value there to contenders.. He's more likely to be used as a chip to land a more productive player from a selling team.

I just hope Benning doesn't go after rentals, only to lose them in FA.

Derek Roy is a great example of BAD HOCKEY TRADES. Giving up a prospect for a rental that plays less then 20 games and then runs away in FA.

Higgins, Richardson, etc are the guys we need to trade to get decent picks or high risk/high reward players.

Agreed. We're in no position to trade for rentals, we should be trading our own.

Archived