The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin O'Leary Hits New Low

nucklehead

http://www.trueactivist.com/what-this-one-percenter-says-about-the-worlds-poorest-3-5-billion-people-is-not-fantastic-news/

Earlier this year, Oxfam released a shocking statistic on global wealth inequality and rising poverty: the wealth of the world’s 85 richest people is now equal to that of the world’s poorest 3.5 billion people. Most of us would fail to find anything positive in this alarming news, but most of us aren’t as filthy rich as Kevin O’Leary.

In an episode of The Lang and O’Leary Exchange, the Canadian venture capitalist gave an illuminating demonstration of how obscene wealth can cause an empathy deficit.

“This is fantastic news and of course I applaud it,” he proclaims to his open-mouthed co-host Amanda Lang. When she protests that an African living on a dollar a day wouldn’t share his opinion, O’Leary simply argues that Oxfam’s data should inspire the world’s poorest people to be the next Bill Gates.

He goes on to say: “It’s a celebratory stat, I’m very excited about it,” and: “If you work hard, you might get stinking rich.”

What planet is this man living on?

guys this happend a couple years ago im pretty sure.. kevin o leary hasnt done that show for over a year now , and he came out explaining he was just tired of all these stats comming out made to make the rich feel guilty for becomming a success.

They should feel guilty, most of them abuse the low labour costs over seas to help them profit big time and cut down on their costs. Equality should be everyone benefits in terms of the business relationship rather then to short cut their workers into producing cheaply made goods for them to profit 100%+ off the mark up.

O'Leary literally came from nothing. His arrogance was quite in fact earned.

He is also a huge philanthropist and is spending obscene amounts of money in green and renewable energy. He actually had a show where he was funding both the production of but also research of everything from tidal to wind power but also developed and patented a new form of flexible solar panel capable of generating over 40% more energy per panel.

He's rude, he's arrogant but he's also spot on in a lot of ways and isn't afraid to spend money on worth while ventures where most wouldn't.

Old news lol, he said this a long time ago.

he's not even on that show anymore he's on shark tank full time now

This. I loled for the same reason.

Anyways he's always been a brutally honest guy which makes him great for TV since few people are as loose as he is with his words. Sometimes what he says makes you laugh pretty hard other times it feels too offensive.

They should feel guilty, most of them abuse the low labour costs over seas to help them profit big time and cut down on their costs. Equality should be everyone benefits in terms of the business relationship rather then to short cut their workers into producing cheaply made goods for them to profit 100%+ off the mark up.

Depends on what industry the millionaire or billionaire works in..

As much as pains for me to say this, but we wouldn't have half the stuff we have now at the price if it weren't for those laxed labour laws in third world countries especially in places like Africa and Asia..

Be thankful for what you have, and don't be a hater..

O'Leary literally came from nothing. His arrogance was quite in fact earned.

He is also a huge philanthropist and is spending obscene amounts of money in green and renewable energy. He actually had a show where he was funding both the production of but also research of everything from tidal to wind power but also developed and patented a new form of flexible solar panel capable of generating over 40% more energy per panel.

He's rude, he's arrogant but he's also spot on in a lot of ways and isn't afraid to spend money on worth while ventures where most wouldn't.

^Basically this..

Is that why he left Dragon's Den too?

I guess so, probably making way more money on shark tank.

they have Vij on Dragon's Den now lol, not sure why I heard his net worth is "only" 10 million (correct me if i'm wrong)

which is till a ton of money for most people, but say someone comes on the show wanting a $500,000 investment there is no way he can get in on that he's not going to invest 5% of his total net worth

I guess so, probably making way more money on shark tank.

they have Vij on Dragon's Den now lol, not sure why I heard his net worth is "only" 10 million (correct me if i'm wrong)

which is till a ton of money for most people, but say someone comes on the show wanting a $500,000 investment there is no way he can get in on that he's not going to invest 5% of his total net worth

Makes sense. The show won't be as interesting without Kevin though. Nothing against bringing in new dragons, but you need personality (and not just intentionally critical) to make it all work.

He's a smart, crude buisness man. His demenure is very marketable and he plays up to it. Look at Simon Cowel, Donald Trump, Bill O'Reilly.... controversial tv personality arn't liked and are assholes, but they are entertaining and they make loads of money.

This. I loled for the same reason.

Anyways he's always been a brutally honest guy which makes him great for TV since few people are as loose as he is with his words. Sometimes what he says makes you laugh pretty hard other times it feels too offensive.

I'm not so sure he is brutally honest. Sometime the line between the perception that someone is 'brutally honest' or 'just saying things for shock value' can be pretty blurry.

I often wonder whether O'Leary truly believes the full extent of what he says, or believe are part of what he says but goes for the big home run that will get people's attention and make him relevant. If you can't be smart, be loud and offensive.

Archived