[2015 NHL Draft] - Loïk Léveillé

Loïk Léveillé - #27 - Cape Breton Screaming Eagles, QMJHL

Position: D.

Shoots: R.

Height: 6'00"

Weight: 220

Birthdate: 1996-09-25

Birthplace: St-Jérôme, QC

A minute-munching defenseman that can be relied upon to provide defensive stability, as well as some offensive dynamic. Skates strikingly well, and is quick to notice small openings where he can initiate puck rushes and passing plays. Possesses solid puckhandling and individual skills. Can really protect the puck with his stocky frame and set of hands. All-in-all, a defenseman that offers a lot of positives at both ends of the ice, and can do all of the little things quite well. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)

Holy crap.

He's right handed, he's got a big body, he's ripping it up in the Q, and he's just 18 years old who can still grow a few inches and he's also 1 year AHEAD in his development than most 2015 draftees.

Oh, and wouldn't that make him eligible for the AHL since he's played 5 years now in Junior? Wouldn't mind using a second pick on him or a third if we had one. High risk. high reward type guy.

He fits all of our criteria, especially him being a year into his development than most 2015 draftees.

I talked about him in the 2015 draft thread most people were saying he's a bad pick because of his age, but I do think he's worth a late second or a third if he's still around.

I would prefer Andersson in the second though because of his stats in the SHL playing against men.

He's on a team with another interesting player in Svechinkov who could be a really good gamble albeit an older pick as well.

Where is he slated to go?

It really depends on who you talk to; some of the people I know think he has early second round potential, and others think he could be found in the fifth round.

So that area: 2nd - 5th Round

Honestly, I hate comparing prospects to NHL players, but L.L. reminds me a lot of Kris Letang. The explosiveness and offensive potential, the accuracy of his shots, and how he handles himself on the ice... it's there.

More on him:

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/prospectus-prospecting-around-the-q/

The major visible flaw, and there would have to be one for him to be a tier 5 prospect, is that his backward skating is lacking. He gets blown by wide often.

Prospects are prospects until they hit the NHL, so I don't tend to go by tier until they've had some time to prove what they are at the NHL level.

At the junior level, the playing stages are so mixed (what with the Q, dub, O, the SHL, KHL, MHL, etc. etc.) that really you don't know who's going to rise to the occasion and be that top player at the next level until they're on even terms.

Prospects are prospects until they hit the NHL, so I don't tend to go by tier until they've had some time to prove what they are at the NHL level.

At the junior level, the playing stages are so mixed (what with the Q, dub, O, the SHL, KHL, MHL, etc. etc.) that really you don't know who's going to rise to the occasion and be that top player at the next level until they're on even terms.

I didn't set the tier he's apparently in, but if backward skating is an issue, then I understand tier 5 in this case.

Of course he could be worth a look in later rounds, but there are hundreds of others to consider.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen this kid play a couple times, and I see what you're saying SNYPERS7. He certainly possesses some high-end skills at both ends of the ice. Consistency is always going to be an issue for players this age, but Leveille especially shows his inconsistency from shift-to-shift.

I would gladly use a 4th round pick on him due to his top-end potential, but I believe there will be better players available in the 2nd adn 3rd round (assuming JB get's us some more early/mid round picks)

Archived