The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Decisions at the Trade Deadline

JamesB

Strategy for the Trade Deadline  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There has been a lot of talk about the trade deadline. I won't repeat all the arguments here (just a few of them :) ), but I thought it would be interesting to do a poll to get a sense of the overall CDC opinion.

Here are some comments on the options.

1. Stand pat is pretty much self-explanatory. This could be the result of a strategic decision to stand pat or it could be the result of trying to make another move but being unable to do so.

2. Be Sellers. Being a seller obviously trades off current performance for future performance. Not only does the team get additional picks or prospects, but it does worse than it otherwise would in the current year and gets higher draft picks (in all rounds) in the current year.

3. Be Buyers. Buyers are the opposite of sellers. The team acquires a current quality roster player in return for a giving up some of its player pipeline AND weakening its draft position. The Canucks did this a lot with both Nonis and Gillis with, in my view, pretty small benefits in current performance and big costs in a weak player pipeline which has come back to bite us in the rear end.

4. The term "hockey trade" has become popular in the media. (So what are type 2 and type 3 trades? Basketball trades? :) ) But what it means that two teams make an exchange that both teams hope will make them generally better without an obvious time tradeoff. Maybe the teams trade a forward for a D, or a team might trade one very good player for two pretty good players, etc. One motivation for the Canucks to make a hockey trade is that next year they will have too many Ds and too many goalies who are not waiver exempt. They have to make some moves or lose players for nothing. And the Canucks will also have a cap problem next year if they re-sign Tanev. These issues do not have to be resolved now, but the trade deadline usually provides some opportunities for hockey trades.

The Canucks are in an awkward spot, They have tried to define success as making the playoff and they have better than a 50-50 shot to do so. And making the playoffs has big financial implications for the team owners (probably at least 7 or 8 million and possibly a lot more). One more good roster player could push them over the top.

On other hand, pretty much no one expects them to get past the first round of the playoffs and a lot of people would rather be sellers now and try to build a genuine contender down the road, especially as this year's draft is, by all accounts, very deep. And Benning's biggest strength is thought to be his ability to scout young players. Let's give him draft picks to work with.

Thanks for reading.

Sell off every pending UFA to the highest bidder.

Shawn Matthias C 1,750,000 UFA

Derek Dorsett RW 1,633,333 UFA

Brad Richardson RW 1,150,000 UFA

Lets not kid ourselfs, we won't be going far this year. But at the same time, making the playoffs puts a few million into the owners pockets for the 1st round home games, so I doubt they will sell.

Sell off every pending UFA to the highest bidder.

Shawn Matthias C 1,750,000 UFA

Derek Dorsett RW 1,633,333 UFA

Brad Richardson RW 1,150,000 UFA

Lets not kid ourselfs, we won't be going far this year. But at the same time, making the playoffs puts a few million into the owners pockets for the 1st round home games, so I doubt they will sell.

Id Re-sign Dorsett and Matthais

SELL:

Richardson

Lack

Higgins

Hansen

Id Re-sign Dorsett and Matthais

SELL:

Richardson

Lack

Higgins

Hansen

It is possible to sell a player then re-sign him as a UFA (I think). However, I admit that I cannot think of examples when it actually happened. But that is what I would like to see with Dorsett and Matthias, There is a chance each guy might be worth a 3rd round pick and Benning might get some pretty good lottery tickets with two 3rd rounders.

I'd do a hybrid of sell/hockey trade personally.

At minimum before next season we need to move a goalie, one of Higgins/Hansen (I prefer to keep Hansen if we're keeping one) and likely one of our D.

I'd add in one of our pending UFAs as a serious consideration to move as well, even if I think they've done well. It's a bit of a crapshoot for what will be available come free agency but I think we'll be able to snag at least one good deal if we move some older, more expensive players.

If nothing else, it'll make room for our younger players on top of giving us more picks to try and grab something special at the draft.

why would we move a young power forward thats cheap we have a bunch of third liners being out played by kass vey, horvat and kenins.

Our vets dorsett, richardson, mattias, hansen, higgins one of the swede goalies salaries add up to almost 11 mill in cap space

of thoughs vets i keep dorsett and mattias unless u can get a 2 nd rounder for one of them and resign in offseason.

plus we have just grabbed mcmillan who cost us nothing he might replace another vet.

benning is so smart finally we have youngsters on entry level deals playing and contributing so excited what team will look like in 3 yrs

I asked before, why do you guys want to trade Kassian so bad? He is what this needs going forward, he can be a decent 3rd liner. I don't get it, most of you fans just keep saying," trade kassian now, get a young player" and my answer to that is WHY? Since Kassian will not fetch us a top 6, it would be absolutely pointless to trade him.

The only trades with Kassian that will benefit this team would be: 1. Power forward for power-forward Eg chissan 2. Yakupov for Kassian(numbers match) 3. A mid 1st rounder

Again, I hope Benning doesn't under value Kassian because of the media and fanbase who are wanting him gone. Oh the irony, come playoffs they will be again begging for a powerforward lol.

It is possible to sell a player then re-sign him as a UFA (I think). However, I admit that I cannot think of examples when it actually happened. But that is what I would like to see with Dorsett and Matthias, There is a chance each guy might be worth a 3rd round pick and Benning might get some pretty good lottery tickets with two 3rd rounders.

Keith Tkachuk was traded in Feb 2007 from stl to Atlanta. Then he was reacquired prior to free agency and re-signed by stl.

Keith Tkachuk was traded in Feb 2007 from stl to Atlanta. Then he was reacquired prior to free agency and re-signed by stl.

I thought of this too. Surprisingly that whole episode didn't amount to much for StL. Pretty much Ian Cole. They almost ended up with Bogosian as well, but I think the league gave them a call, because they had to trade that 1st rounder back to Atlanta for Tkachuk's rights. The Bluews were supposed to get a conditional 4th for that, but it was never exercized.

It's interesting looking at trade history combined with drafts, for sure. TO's in particular is great for a laugh.

Archived