The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Many of our Goals Are by "New" Canucks?

Canucks for Stanley Cup

I just ran some numbers after noticing lately how many Canucks goals have been scored by new players on the roster.

For this purpose, I defined a new player as one who was not on the roster as of the beginning of last season. This includes players that were in the Canucks organization but weren't on the NHL roster at that point - guys like Bo Horvat and Frank Corrado.

Percentage of goals scored by new players:

Last 2 games: 86%

Last month (14 games): 61%

All season: 47%

While the last 2 games are quite remarkable in that regard, it's easy for a stat to be skewed by such a small sample size (hat trick by Matthias). More surprising though, is the last month of games. Vrbata certainly has been a big part of these stats, but I don't think I would have expected more than 6 out of 10 goals to be from guys who weren't on the team at the start of last season. We made some changes this past year, but I didn't think it was that much!

How many of our goals are being scored by guys under 27? probably half as well which is good to see.

I won't be surprised to see some people getting Kenins Jerseys pretty soon haha

I really hope guys like Virtanen, Shinkaruk and McCann develop as well as Bo Horvat. Hopefully none of those players get traded since I really want to see our draft guys succeed. Unless they traded those blue chip prospects for prospects of similar or better value like Mantha.

McMillan, guy is terrible. Hasn't done anything since we picked him up.

Yeh, sounds like another gem in the sidelines

I can't believe how lucky we have been with Kenins though. He looks a real gem and the commentator was not far away when he confirmed his style as reminiscent of Bren Gallagher. Let's hope he continues to develop. I am absolutely amazed at his close passing control in tight situations.

Thanks OP, that was a question I found myself wondering the other day and now you've done the legwork.

How many of our goals are being scored by guys under 27? probably half as well which is good to see.

I won't be surprised to see some people getting Kenins Jerseys pretty soon haha

Because Canucks For Stanley Cup started this I decided to look into the < = 27 years old goals scored.

Last Season:

Total Goals 191

Scored by <= 27 57

Or %29.8

This Season:

Total Goals 153

Scored by <= 27 59

Or %38.6

We're only 55 games into the season and the < = 27's have contributed more goals than last season. Jannik Hansen was included last season, and excluded this season. *Also included in last years totals were players on the roster at the beginning of the season.*

I really hope guys like Virtanen, Shinkaruk and McCann develop as well as Bo Horvat. Hopefully none of those players get traded since I really want to see our draft guys succeed. Unless they traded those blue chip prospects for prospects of similar or better value like Mantha.

I agree. I'm tired of seeing youth traded away.

edit*

Thanks OP, that was a question I found myself wondering the other day and now you've done the legwork.

Because Canucks For Stanley Cup started this I decided to look into the < = 27 years old goals scored.

Last Season:

Total Goals 191

Scored by <= 27 57

Or %29.8

This Season:

Total Goals 153

Scored by <= 27 59

Or %38.6

We're only 55 games into the season and the < = 27's have contributed more goals than last season. Jannik Hansen was included last season, and excluded this season. *Also included in last years totals were players on the roster at the beginning of the season.*

edit*

Nice work. I was thinking about similar things. I also wonder how this compares with other teams. I am not going to do the work but I am guessing that even the 38.6% number for this year is on the low side compared to other teams. The youth movement will need to continue.

Yeh, sounds like another gem in the sidelines

I can't believe how lucky we have been with Kenins though. He looks a real gem and the commentator was not far away when he confirmed his style as reminiscent of Bren Gallagher. Let's hope he continues to develop. I am absolutely amazed at his close passing control in tight situations.

Yeah me too, I hope he stays in the lineup.

I lol'd when he scored. All of his goals have been identical.

Makes you wonder why the second unit power play doesn't have the likes of horvat, kassian and matthias as a group, hell, throw kennins in there too, and put Kass on the point as a pp quarterback... There ya go, a pp that can score..

Horvat, Vrbata / Mattius. Sedins / Kassian or Burrows as the front line. if you get horvat / Vrbata . Mattius, you get a line who can win face offs, shoot the puck and crash the net

Makes you wonder why the second unit power play doesn't have the likes of horvat, kassian and matthias as a group, hell, throw kennins in there too, and put Kass on the point as a pp quarterback... There ya go, a pp that can score..

That is one thing that really makes me frustrated, the fact that he doesn't change up our second unit and fill it in with the guys who are hot right now.

Last Season:

Total Goals 191

Scored by <= 27 57

Or %29.8

This Season:

Total Goals 153

Scored by <= 27 59

Or %38.6

edit*

With 14 days to trading deadline an 13 more losses to count out our next 5 games will decide the fate of some of the players on the team except the core .It is great to see young guns comming in an contributing to the team.Really looking forward to the day Virtanen,maccann ,join this team down the road

Archived