The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat Talk (CT edition)

avelanch

People have been asking for the prospects thread to be moved to CT, but that's not how it works, so here's a thread to discuss everything Horvat for you CT folks.

Bo Horvat
Center
Born Apr 5 1995 -- Rodney, ONT
Height 6.00 -- Weight 206 -- Shoots L
Selected by Vancouver Canucks round 1 #9 overall 2013 NHL Entry Draft

Taking on the hardest assignments in the NHL (Crosby, Towes, final minutes of play, defensive zone draws, etc.) and succeeding on the regular. Potential next Captain of the Canucks, he's surpassing everyone's expectations right now. I know I'm not the only one with a Horvat jersey already, and it's just going to increase in numbers from here on out. We got something special on this team right now.

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/3/10/reasonable-expectations-for-the-future-is-bo-horvat-a-top-6-c

Came across that article that was written a year ago.

It is laughable now.

All in all, Bo Horvat simply is not a player you build your future around, and is certainly not a player you draft with the 9th overall pick when there are players available that are clearly better bets to become impact pros - players like Valeri Nichushkin and Max Domi, and to a lesser extent guys like Josh Morrissey, Alex Wennberg, Nic Petan and Hunter Shinkaruk (thank god he fell to 24th). He's a guy you should feel comfortable taking in the 2nd or 3rd round, as coaches will always give him a second look since he does the defensive stuff well. He more than likely won't make an impact in the next few seasons though.

I think by as early as next season we'll see him play the Kesler role. We're seeing glimpses of WD using him in that role now.

Who knows what kind of added progression he'll make with another summer of off season training.

It's just a shame that guys like Shinkaruk and Jensen aren't pushing their way for roster spots on this team. Horvat needs a better supporting cast of younger plays to play with that have more skill in order to maximize his offensive potential.

People have been asking for the prospects thread to be moved to CT, but that's not how it works, so here's a thread to discuss everything Horvat for you CT folks.

Taking on the hardest assignments in the NHL (Crosby, Towes, final minutes of play, defensive zone draws, etc.) and succeeding on the regular. Potential next Captain of the Canucks, he's surpassing everyone's expectations right now. I know I'm not the only one with a Horvat jersey already, and it's just going to increase in numbers from here on out. We got something special on this team right now.

Thanks for this an official Horvat thread on CT. He has certainly earned it.

And he has exceeded my expectations. I started a thread earlier this season commenting on how guys who kind of equals in prospects camp are now in vastly different places in the organizational depth. For a long time, for example, Horvat and Shinkaruk was always talked of in the same breath -- guys who might develop at the same pace. But there is a world of difference between them. Horvat is a good bottom 6 NHL center right now -- at age 19. It would not surprise me to see him at 2C next year. Skinkaruk on the other hand continues to struggle and would appear to have no chance of being the Canucks next year.

I also mentioned Dane Fox who was down on the K-wings and, at that time, really struggling. Fox has improved his performance since then and now leads the K-wings in goals scored. Probably he moves up to Utica next year.

But Horvat is really in a different league from the other prospects (literally). Let's hope Virtanen can follow a similar path. Given the success the Canucks have had with Horvat, I think they are more likely to give Virtanen a shot with the big club. Like Horvat he already has the size, strength and skating skills (speed and strength on his skates) to play in the NHL.

By the way is Donald Brashear still on here?

I am still waiting for an apology for your disparaging comments on my opinion that Bo would be here doing just what he is doing back in October/ November.

It's okay to be wrong Donald...just apologize and everyone will welcome you back.

One thing I have noticed about CDC is that it would not be a good idea to hold your breath waiting for an apology.

I look forward to this actually useful thread being quickly replaced by some thread with no substance now that it's legit to talk about Bo in Canucks Talk.

But man, Horvat's on fire right now. I'm waiting to see if he regresses from this current pace, and then what he does from there over the next 1-3 years, but man.

:towel:

Archived