The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Harris Wittels, co-exec producer of 'Parks and Recreation' dead at 30; suspected drug OD.

Dazzle

Heartbreaking news: Earlier this afternoon, comedian and Parks and Recreation co-executive producer Harris Wittels was found dead in his home in Los Angeles. The exact cause of death has not yet been confirmed, but it's believed to be a drug overdose. Wittels has spoken about his struggles with sobriety many times in both his standup and podcast appearances, most notably during an episode of You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes in November.

In addition to his work on Parks and Rec, Wittels has written and produced for The Sarah Silverman Program and Eastbound & Down, and he was also the mastermind behind Humblebrag. Wittels was 30 years old. His fellow comedians have taken to Twitter with a huge outpouring of grief and remembrance.

Yet another comedian dead and he was only 30. Just a few years older than I am.

It just doesn't matter how talented or rich you are - both of which he must be. The dark reaper will come and get anyone.

It's another reason to enjoy everything that's around you, because you might not ever get to see it again. Depression needs to get nuked from this world.

Yet another comedian dead and he was only 30. Just a few years older than I am.

It just doesn't matter how talented or rich you are - both of which he must be. The dark reaper will come and get anyone.

It's another reason to enjoy everything that's around you, because you might not ever get to see it again. Depression needs to get nuked from this world.

Where does it say he was depressed? It said he overdosed.

Wonder if his character will have one last appearance in the series finale next week. They've been cycling cameos of a lot of past characters, but he already had one last week. I'm sure they'll mention something in his honour before it airs or after it ends.

I urge anyone on here with a sense of humor and that is not familiar with Harris Wittels to check out any Comedy Bang! Bang! podcast that he's apart of, especially the ones titled Farts and Procreation alongside Adam Scott and Chelsea Peretti.

Also check out podcast U Talking U2 To Me? with Adam Scott and Scott Aukerman. The episode with Harris when they "review" (they hardly ever get to the album, just talk nonsense) The Joshua Tree.

And, of course, Harris' podcast, Analyze Phish.

All can be found on Earwolf.

I only discovered Harris' comedy about a year ago. Hearing Harris' comedy and wit reminded me so much of my friend in university who was bipolar and ended up taking his own life back in 2004. So incredibly quick witted; coming up things that, as Aziz Ansari put it, were a step above other comedians.

Archived