The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(DISCUSSION) We could just be the cinderella team this year

Scorvat

Now at the beginning of the season we thought we would be lucky to make it to the playoffs. Great start, eventually slowed down. One thing i have noticed is this team has battled and i mean BATTLED to remain 2nd in the pacific. There were time this year id sit and think oh now here we go again (repeat of last year), but then the next game they would come out and surprise the s*** out of me. Their now starting to play more consistanly. They kind of remind me of the 2012 kings a little bit. A team that could roll 4 lines with scoring ability. And just the way they play as a team. This good character thing is really helping the whole group come together and just play for eachother. Which is appealing to UFAs (little off topic). I see a team that will THRIVE come playoffs time. They are going to play with so much emotion and shock a lot of teams. I think if we can avoid the kings we will have a really good shot at making a push for the cup.

What do you guys think? Are we the cinderella team of 2015?

I think any playoff run may depend largely on the health of miller. Unlikely he's gone that long but we'll see I guess.

Otherwise I can see it if they're able to maintain their play of late or find it again in the playoffs, especially when you consider that they're doing this with significant parts of the lineup hurt. The scoring is there lately, and some nights the defensive side is too but the inconsistency here is understandable given the injuries.

Edit: this would include miller finding an elevated level of play as well.

Everything will have to come together

Sedins line will have to be on point

Bonino line will have to produce like they did in the beginning of the year

Bottom 6 continues to play as strong

Miller stands on his head

Hamhuis playing his best, Edler staying strong, Tanev playing like he did, Sbisa staying consistent, Bieksa making better decisions

Honestly, I'm most worried about the defense. If the whole team can stay healthy, you never know. I see a 1st round exit but that's just my opinion

Now at the beginning of the season we thought we would be lucky to make it to the playoffs. Great start, eventually slowed down. One thing i have noticed is this team has battled and i mean BATTLED to remain 2nd in the pacific. There were time this year id sit and think oh now here we go again (repeat of last year), but then the next game they would come out and surprise the s*** out of me. Their now starting to play more consistanly. They kind of remind me of the 2012 kings a little bit. A team that could roll 4 lines with scoring ability. And just the way they play as a team. This good character thing is really helping the whole group come together and just play for eachother. Which is appealing to UFAs (little off topic). I see a team that will THRIVE come playoffs time. They are going to play with so much emotion and shock a lot of teams. I think if we can avoid the kings we will have a really good shot at making a push for the cup.

Honestly, I predicted the Kings to win the cup in 2012 when they acquired Mike Richards in that summer. They didnt have a great season but they had a BIG team, SKILLED team, PHYSICAL team, as well as a DEEP team, not to mention CLUTCH players, then they acquired Carter... The Kings started to gel, and i was p*ssed when they lost to the Sharks and they ended up as the eight seed playing the Canucks. After the Canucks they breezed through every other team.

I dont think the Canucks possess those factors that LA had at their disposal. I guess its good to be positive and supportive but i dont think the canucks make it out of the first round :(

Here is what I'm thinking. If we catch LA in round 1 and beat them, this team will start believing they can beat anyone, and once they start believing, I know how good they can be.

You never know, thats why the games are played.

Oh for sure. We beat a team like the Kings, Ducks, or Blackhawks in the 1st round these guys will have so much confidence. I actually believe this team "could" be better than our 2011 team.

When you're talking about a cinderalla team, you're talking about the Edmonton Oilers in the 2006-07 season. That was a Cinderalla team. The 2012 LA Kings weren't that. They were literally just a piece or two away from posing a serious threat and once they acquired Carter at the deadline, it was pretty much set in stone.

A Cinderella team is not bestowed that name by its fans during the season. Its said in hindsight by those in the greater kingdom of hockey once they actually accomplish something. Right now its just fairy dust and wishes.

The thing about the 2012 Kings was they actually had a stacked squad, and were expected to challenge for the Cup at the beginning of the season. They were a talented team who just happened to suck during the regular season, whereas we were expected to suck and we've done ok. I think this Canucks team is playing a lot closer to their ceiling than the 2012 Kings were. But, stranger things have happened for sure. But I think just making the playoffs is an accomplishment and bodes well for the future.

Everything will have to come together

Sedins line will have to be on point

Bonino line will have to produce like they did in the beginning of the year

Bottom 6 continues to play as strong

Miller stands on his head

Hamhuis playing his best, Edler staying strong, Tanev playing like he did, Sbisa staying consistent, Bieksa making better decisions

Honestly, I'm most worried about the defense. If the whole team can stay healthy, you never know. I see a 1st round exit but that's just my opinion

Bonino is a question mark for me. Him and Vey are the only 2 im unsure of when it comes what the team needs. If we could package these 2 with a pick to get a decent 2nd C who can win FOs and have a good all around game we would be that much better.

im not sure how deep we will go in the playoffs but i know we will be a real thorn in the sides of a team or 2 that is supposed to go deep. We will be a dark horse and teams are gonna fear having to draw us because of our depth. We will be the spoilers especially if we get near healthy. I think we could get into the 2nd round and if we get/make some breaks we could even squeak into the Turd.

Forget about winning the cup, I am not even sure we make the playoffs.

We play 13 out of our 16 games against the west which we have a 16-14-2 record against and 8 of those wins came from the oilers flames(start of season when they were worse) and the yotes. Point is in march we will truly find out if this team is for real in march when the schedule puts as against teams we will meet if we make the playoffs which I don't see happening with our injured d core.

Won't be able to make a run in the playoffs unless Miller is healthy and hot, and our injured defensive core gets back in the lineup.

Even if we are 100% healthy, if we run into a team like Nashville or LA, it is going to be tough.

We need a lot of help from other teams eliminating the tough opponents for us to have a shot.

Would need to be like the 1982 Cup run with all the right elements falling into place.

Bonino was super clutch for Anaheim in the playoffs, I'm thinking if/when we do make the playoffs he's gonna be a key role in the success of the Canucks. There are players who just play really great in the playoffs, and he looked pretty clutch at times last year.

Archived