The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What prospects make the team next year?

50CON14

Forgive me if this has been done over and over again but i can't find one of these thread anywhere.

Question is pretty simple, what prospect do you think will make the team next year and if so what role / line do they take on. Personally i see either Virtanen or Shinkaruk making the team next year and going on the 3rd line with Horvat while either Mccann or Gaunce take on the 4th line centre and play the role that Horvat is playing now.

What do you think?

Guance, Corrado and Virtanen - maybe, others need AHL time to prove themselves.

It also means we're most likely parting ways with Richardson, unfortunately. We should definitely trade away Richardson or Higgins at the deadline for a 2nd 3rd or whatever we can get. We have too many forwards.

There are wishlists and there is the reality of contracts and these discussions focus on the former at the expense of the later.

Which prospects make the big club depends so much on who is waiver exempt and who is not. Correctly if I am wrong but I believe the only prospects that are waiver exempt this year that won't be next year are Corrado and Jensen. If that is the case then those two have the best shot at cracking the Canucks lineup full time next season. Gaunce and Shinkaruk are both waiver exempt which most likely puts them back in Utica for a second season unless they are playing so well that they have to call them up. Benning has stated numerous times that he doesn't like to rush prospects so if you take him on his word I expect those two to be back with the Comets.

As for Virtanen and McCann they will both be 19 next year so it is either Vancouver or back to juniors for both. Who knows if they will be ready for the jump to the NHL by next year.

I'm thinking that Archibald/Jensen/McCann/Virtanen might make the team. Hell even Pedan if he can get his crap together. He's been pretty good so far since the AHL all star break.

As much as I love Virtanen, I'd be okay having him in the WHL for 1 more season. If he can make the team, that's great.

Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Grenier/Cassels/Subban etc all need 1 or 2 more years of the AHL.

IMHO.

NHL:

Gaunce→Has played very well in his rookie year in the AHL. Has size, strength, very good positioning, maturity and very good hands.

Just needs to work on acceleration if he hasn't already.

Corrado→Has maturity and poise.

Needs to work on strength to avoid the injury bug he's suffered this season.

AHL:

Jensen→Needs to crack 25-30 goals based on his skating ability and skill set.

Not a 4th line NHLer so Jensen has to work on consistency.

Shinkaruk→Will have a much better pro season next year based on the growing pains he endured this season.

Needs to work on strength and fine tuning his game and scoring touch.

Cassels→Will adapt to Green's system as a first year pro.

Love Cassels' edge but his temperament needs discipline. Green will see to it.

Subban→He will have a decent first season under Green. Has tremendous skill and very mature.

Needs to continue to work on his strength without losing a step in his skating.

CHL:

Virtanen→Will have a great training camp in September. However, he will be back in Calgary.

Like Shinkaruk, Virtanen has to focus on fine tuning his game so he can return to his pre-draft scoring ways. Not having his current overage teammates will definitely help with getting more offensive starts.

McCann→Will turn a lot of heads in training camp. Going back to S.S. Marie will give him a golden opportunity to make Team Canada for the first time.

McCann needs to add more strength. Having mono last summer hurt him so he will be that much better this year.

Jensen and Corrado should be locks next year. Dorsett and Richardson are gone imo. Great players but we have young guys that can step up. I'd like for Grenier, Archibald, Zaleskwi to get a shot.

corrado will make the team most likely take webers spot and I think Jensen might be the 13th forward like vey next year, but that might be in jeopardy with his recent play. Dorsett is staying imo.

Gaunce: won't be surprised if he gets a bottom six spot next year.

Shinkaruk: probably going to stay down in Utica for a while, depending on how he grows this summer. Needs to get stronger still.

Jensen: probably have a spot with the canucks next year or traded

Virtanen: big question mark. Not everyone can make the NHL at 19 like Horvat. I don't think virtanin's game is as well rounded so i won't be surprised to see him in the WHL for another year. Hard to guess since he didn't get to participate in training camp this year.

McCann: another year in junior/AHL (not sure of his age)

Subban: still going to develop in junior/AHL

Markstom: Canucks or traded next year

Corrado: Canucks next year

There are wishlists and there is the reality of contracts and these discussions focus on the former at the expense of the later.

Which prospects make the big club depends so much on who is waiver exempt and who is not. Correctly if I am wrong but I believe the only prospects that are waiver exempt this year that won't be next year are Corrado and Jensen. If that is the case then those two have the best shot at cracking the Canucks lineup full time next season. Gaunce and Shinkaruk are both waiver exempt which most likely puts them back in Utica for a second season unless they are playing so well that they have to call them up. Benning has stated numerous times that he doesn't like to rush prospects so if you take him on his word I expect those two to be back with the Comets.

As for Virtanen and McCann they will both be 19 next year so it is either Vancouver or back to juniors for both. Who knows if they will be ready for the jump to the NHL by next year.

Basically this one answers the question. Jensen and Corrado will make the team because of the said waiver rule. Both have basically rounded out their game as much as they could in the AHL and are almost ready to make the jump.

I think us being patient with these prospects is a very good thing.

Watching how former Detroit prospects Nyquist and Tatar both on pace to get about 30 goals this season... and I remember when Tatar was drafted (didn't even know of Nyquist), I was thinking, this guy has very little chance to make the NHL and be a consistent contributor because there has been so many European, smallish players who had the skills but didn't quite get to complete the other aspects of the game. The Wings was really patient with it and didn't bite at the temptation to add his skill to the lineup too soon.

Shinkaruk and Gaunce need to be developed similarly. They need couple more years in the AHL with call ups here and there before they are ready I think.

Although a lot of impatient people on this board have already given up on Shinkaruk, I don't think so. When he was picked, Shinkaruk basically gave me the similar feeling as I had for Tatar. Both are smallish, but have the NHL skill. Their skill alone isn't enough to make consistent impact at the NHL like Patrick Kane but if they can round out their game, they could be consistent 30 goal scorers at the NHL level.

Virtanen in my opinion still has few things that he needs to work on before he makes the team but could make the team in two years but the skill and physicality puts him ahead of Shinkaruk and Virtanen's skill and skating puts him ahead of Gaunce.

My top 10:

1. Jacob Markstrom....It's play or trade. Odds 100%

2. Frank Corrado....mentally and physically ready. Canucks are gonna make room to see if he can replace Bieksa long term. 85%

3. Niklas Jensen...has the physical tools. Adds much needed speed....definitely needs to round out his game to stick long term. 75%

4. Jake Virtanen ...physically ready...probably gets an apprenticeship and back to junior like Anthony Duclair this year. 50%

5. Brendan Gaunce....has the size strength and smarts.....foot speed is the only thing holding him back. 35%

6. Hunter Shinkaruk...tough pro transition this season. Gonna want him to step up huge offensively in the AHL before advancing. 25%

7. Cole Cassels...could really suprise at camp. First year pro most likely Utica. 20%

8. Andrey Pedan...would need to have a couple injuries to get in. Beastly physical tools. 20%

9. Jared McCann...would have to be lights out at camp. Log jamb in front and needs to muscle up. 10%

10. Jordan Subban....needs to gain pro experience. 5%

Archived