The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning updates on Canucks Injuries and Goalie situation

Robongo

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/jim-benning-updates-miller-injury-goaltending-situation-1.214155

gist:

Miller on his way back to Vancouver to get an MRI in the next couple days, called up Markstrom.

Wanted have depth this year in the goaltending position for this exact reason and is confident in both goalies going forward

Lack was the starter at the end of last year so he's confident he will be able to carry the load.

Isn't sure if Willie will start Markstrom, but management feels comfortable with him as Rollie and Clouts have worked with him and he's made great strides in his game.

Doesn't think that from now until the end of the year waivers will be a problem for Markstrom

Feels that with so many guys out, once we start getting some of our guys back they will give us a big boost and it'll almost be like they've made trades just by getting guys healthy. 2-3 weeks and hopefully all of our guys will be back (sans Miller)

Nick Bonino has been skating and they hope he will play tomorrow, Tanev has been making good strides and could join us for the last game of the road trip. No word on anyone else

Callups have played admirably and praised Travis Green for having them prepared so well.

Tom Sesito shut down because it wasn't a good fit for Tom or for the Canucks/Comets so they are parting ways.

Opinion on Zack hasn't changed. They know what he can do , but it's only about consistency. Looks to Jim that Zack is learning to be consistent and he's been playing better. Needs him to continue improving.

Constantly talking to other teams leading up to the trade deadline. If something makes sense to help our team now and into the future they will look at it hard. They have a lot of young players coming up and won't be dealing them.

-----

Miller's injury didn't look good by the way he was apparently limping very badly and in a knee brace post game. Minimum out 4-6 weeks and It's very possible that it's a tear and he's done for the season and playoffs. Hopefully not the case, but that's my feeling atm. The positive is we get to see the strides that Markstrom has made in his game (Unless Willie pulls a Tortorella :lol:)

Why is it so hard for Zack Kassian to earn some praise from the GM/coach for his play?

I would suspect they want to see him string more than 2 good games together at a time before they start praising him in fear that he sits back on his laurels. I have no doubt if Kassian continues to play this consistent, he will receive praise eventually.

Kassian has been playing great since coming back, there is no doubt. Whether he can continue that momentum is up to him. If he does, he will solidify his roster spot and earn some deserved praise.

That's not much of an update on Miller since we kinda knew he'd be heading back to get checked out. Was hoping for something more substantial based on your thread title.

I believe it is suspected to be a minimum of 4-6 weeks for Miller, and that is pre-MRI. If they find something worse, it could be longer.

Why is it so hard for Zack Kassian to earn some praise from the GM/coach for his play?

Their comments on Kassian always beat around the bush... "blah blah blah good, but blah blah blah consistency.. blah blah blah"

Agree 100%.

The whole "consistency" argument to my way of thinking is a coach/GMs "go to" phrase fro when you have nothing specific.

The doghouse appears to be spacious indeed.

Their comments on Kassian always beat around the bush... "blah blah blah good, but blah blah blah consistency.. blah blah blah"

Firstly, WD has mentioned a few times about Kassian making good plays. Second, it's called pro sports. Do you want a Semin type player or a Parise/Sedin?

He's gotta be a consistent player without the puck (D/physical play).

That's not much of an update on Miller since we kinda knew he'd be heading back to get checked out. Was hoping for something more substantial based on your thread title.

don't shoot the messenger. Changed the title just for you mr moderator ;)

I would suspect they want to see him string more than 2 good games together at a time before they start praising him in fear that he sits back on his laurels. I have no doubt if Kassian continues to play this consistent, he will receive praise eventually.

Kassian has been playing great since coming back, there is no doubt. Whether he can continue that momentum is up to him. If he does, he will solidify his roster spot and earn some deserved praise.

Exactly. Ever since the CoHo trade, we knew Kassian had the talent and natural athleticism to be dominant. He can be a 50-60+ player. But he never will be until he learns how to be consistent. That's the most frustrating thing with Kassian for me personally. You see flashes of how he can be a serious impact player, and then reverts back to his old ways. The classic 2 steps forward, 1 step back kind of player. I can just imagine how frustrating it has to be for a Coach or a GM trying to connect with him and get him on the right track.

Or maybe the problem with Kassian is? Wait for it? Consistency? And that's why they keep saying that.

Just maybe.

I believe it is suspected to be a minimum of 4-6 weeks for Miller, and that is pre-MRI. If they find something worse, it could be longer.

Benning was certainly cautious on making any kind of predictions even when asked directly about his "Markstrom/end of season" comment. They likely won't know until the swelling goes down a bit and the MRI is done what he has unless Miller heard a pop or something to indicate a tear.

It's quite possible it is bad, but equally possible it's just a strain and he'll be back in a month.

don't shoot the messenger. Changed the title just for you mr moderator ;)

Just aiming at the title-maker! :ph34r:

But it's less misleading now, thanks.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/jim-benning-updates-miller-injury-goaltending-situation-1.214155

gist:

Miller on his way back to Vancouver to get an MRI in the next couple days, called up Markstrom.

Wanted have depth this year in the goaltending position for this exact reason and is confident in both goalies going forward

Lack was the starter at the end of last year so he's confident he will be able to carry the load.

Isn't sure if Willie will start Markstrom, but management feels comfortable with him as Rollie and Clouts have worked with him and he's made great strides in his game.

Doesn't think that from now until the end of the year waivers will be a problem for Markstrom

Feels that with so many guys out, once we start getting some of our guys back they will give us a big boost and it'll almost be like they've made trades just by getting guys healthy. 2-3 weeks and hopefully all of our guys will be back (sans Miller)

Nick Bonino has been skating and they hope he will play tomorrow, Tanev has been making good strides and could join us for the last game of the road trip. No word on anyone else

Callups have played admirably and praised Travis Green for having them prepared so well.

Tom Sesito shut down because it wasn't a good fit for Tom or for the Canucks/Comets so they are parting ways.

Opinion on Zack hasn't changed. They know what he can do , but it's only about consistency. Looks to Jim that Zack is learning to be consistent and he's been playing better. Needs him to continue improving.

Constantly talking to other teams leading up to the trade deadline. If something makes sense to help our team now and into the future they will look at it hard. They have a lot of young players coming up and won't be dealing them.

-----

Miller's injury didn't look good by the way he was apparently limping very badly and in a knee brace post game. Minimum out 4-6 weeks and It's very possible that it's a tear and he's done for the season and playoffs. Hopefully not the case, but that's my feeling atm. The positive is we get to see the strides that Markstrom has made in his game (Unless Willie pulls a Tortorella :lol:)

Miller out for the season and playoffs... There goes our chances of making it there and/or getting past first round.

He did praise him before saying he wants him to continue what he's doing.

Ya.. I too wonder when the sample size will be big enough for Zack Kassian... I mean 8 in 8 is pretty good.

Markstrom should get some starts, even in Buffalo coming up. We need to get a look at him before asking Lack to start 23 straight.

I didn't think that Tanev made the trip... haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I'd rather he take the extra 2 days than potentially fly in for the last game of a roadtrip.

Bonino is needed right now, if only to push Vey or McMillan out.

100%

This game is as mental a game as anything. They don't want to send the message to Zack that he's made it. They may believe that he's the type of personality that will take that sort of praise and be satisfied. Some guys need the tough love to motivate.

Ya.. I too wonder when the sample size will be big enough for Zack Kassian... I mean 8 in 8 is pretty good.

Markstrom should get some starts, even in Buffalo coming up. We need to get a look at him before asking Lack to start 23 straight.

I didn't think that Tanev made the trip... haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I'd rather he take the extra 2 days than potentially fly in for the last game of a roadtrip.

Bonino is needed right now, if only to push Vey or McMillan out.

I would assume after about 15 games or 1 month the sample size will be big enough. All players go though good and bad streches but usually they only last 1-2 weeks

Archived