The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis will be a GM in the league again one day.

messier's_elbow

Hopefully for a division rival...?

I mean he did a fantastic job at first, but he was just as terrible at the end. Not sure what happened there. As his mistakes added up he seemed way in over his head.

I cant help but wonder if his being a former player agent made his job that much more difficult, he had an impossible time making deals.

I never hated gillis, he was put in a tough position with a goalie controversy

He put himself in a tough position. By telling the public he is confident he could trade Lu and then not being able to make the deal happen.

Then he states trading Schneider was the plan all along.

He threw Cody under the bus. He said we were only jacking up his minutes to deal him.

Gillis notoriously never shared anything with the public. And whenever he did, it was arrogant garbage.

Good riddance.

I do hope he finds another GM job. And I hope it's to a team in our division.

I think of GMs who have been able to get new jobs, - Burke, Nonins, and feaster come to mind. These guys got jobs through connections and not necessarily resumes. If you look at the Linden, Shanahan or even the Yzerman hirings, they all have connections within the organization to land their gigs. Gillis unfortunately, burned every bridge there is. He sent out a few offer sheets in his early days that got him a bad rep. I don't think we was able to trade with a team outside of Florida following that.

Gillis wasn't as bad as some but his record doesn't exactly shine. He traded away picks for years, lost numerous player trades and overpaid for every free agent that signed here. If we're being straight he walked into a team with the twins just entering their prime, a solid goaltender in Luongo and a strong D core with the likes of Ohlund, Mitchell and Salo. He's not exactly a GM that changed the fate of franchise. Hell he didn't even hire Vigneault, just rode him and eventually hired the disaster that was Torts.

I did like Gillis more than the do nothing Nonis; and when the option was Gillis vs. the in-house Tambellini, I wanted and would still take Gillis.

Gillis only used the offer sheet route once, with St Louis. Although rumor was he threatened to put an offer sheet on Bernier if Buffalo wouldn't trade him. I don't see how this burned bridges as he did make deals with several teams including Buffalo (Hodgson/Kassian) the team he supposedly threatened to sheet.

When you have a contender, trading picks for pieces that help now isn't uncommon in the least. At least MG wasn't moving first rounders for rentals like others do. What is uncommon is re-signing any of those rentals and Gillis re-signed two. I don't know about overpaying every free agent either. Both Hamhuis and Garrison turned down higher offers to play here. Samuelsson and Malhotra were both pretty reasonable deals. I think many Nuck fans have become spoiled by the lengthy history the team has of players taking less than market value here and it's skewed their idea of what market value actually is.

How Gillis handled Schnieder and Luongo alone is enough to guarantee that he'll never get another job. Handled the situation so poorly made us look really bad. It was an embarrassment, and now UFA's aren't as likely to sign with us anytime soon.

His drafting record outside of 2013 didn't help. The thought of almost taking Rodin in the first round still haunts me.

He made some boneheaded moves (David Booth, Keith Ballard, etc.), but you have to keep in mind they were a team making a Stanley cup push and were in a position to give up draft picks and young guys to fill in those holes. I think he made some pretty solid moves for us that haven't panned out until this season (Matthias, Horvat, Kenins, heck maybe even Kassian). Hindsight is always 20/20 and I wouldn't say he was a "fantastic" GM, but to say he was awful isn't justified.

How Gillis handled Schnieder and Luongo alone is enough to guarantee that he'll never get another job. Handled the situation so poorly made us look really bad. It was an embarrassment, and now UFA's aren't as likely to sign with us anytime soon.

His drafting record outside of 2013 didn't help. The thought of almost taking Rodin in the first round still haunts me.

Well, a guy named Ryan Miller signed with us this past summer so I'm not too worried about UFA's not wanting to come here.

It's a different regime, so basically a clean slate here.

His downfall was his arrogance. His success got to him, and it rippled down into the on-ice "product".He didn't know how to handle success, and it was his demise.

I tend to agree with this.

In fact, I kind of doubt he'll ever be an NHL GM again, simply for the fact he burned too many bridges with his arrogance. Other GMs didn't want to deal with him. It will be hard for him to make trades going forward, for any team.

But I could easily see him in another management role. Assistant GM, Director of Player Personnel, etc... He definitely has a connection with the players. Or maybe President - overseeing everything, but not being the guy working the phones.

This guy is hated and pitchforked out of town but he is coming out looking a lot better recently. He didnt hire Torts the owners did. He messed up the situation with the goalies but the new cap penalties screwed him. He got Horvat out of the deal though which might end up being his greatest move of all. Matthias and Markstrom arent looking like bad pieces for Lu either. When he wasnt pissing away picks on guys like Derek Roy (pukebaby) he was making decent draft picks and his only real horrible pick was Mallet. Cassels, Gaunce, Corrado and Jensen all look like future NHL players as well. Jurys still out on Shinkaruk but I have faith.

Yes but a broken clock is right twice a day!

On the whole I think Gillis fell flat on his face.

I liked Gillis and think he did an excellent job here. We needed a breath of fresh air now and I'm more than happy with our new tag team of Linden & Benning. But in general I was very pleased with what he accomplished here.

He lost me at the point when he couldn't put an end to the Schneider / Luongo 'problem' in time before it exploded in his lap. CDC has said on multiple occasions that no team wanted to trade with him because he had burned all his bridges and so on, but I don't think it was really the case either. He gets a free pass on the 'Tortorella experiment' from me. Again, I dunno who had the final word on the matter, but it didn't really look like he was ever happy with the signing of Torts and just seemed to play along on that one.

On another note, i blame Torts for a lot of stuff that happened last year. He was a real mess around here and you could sense that from day one that it was gonna go bad at some point. Hindsight of course, but to me it felt like a short experiment right from the beginning.

Lastly... why did OP make this topic all of a sudden!?

Everyone says his drafting. The team was built to win he traded drafts to make the team better at the time and give the club more depth as most team going all in do. The scouts are the guys that recommend players nonis was the moron that went off the board. Week drafts and later to last first round picks. Gillis did a good job and untill he lost direction and the owners started pulling weirdo moves. They wanted torts they wanted out from the Louie contract that they help get done. Gillis drafted Horvat gillis brought in the support pieces that got this team to 3 president trophies and game 7 in the scf. It like blaming Louie for the teams inability to score..... But that's the way van fans role.

Archived