The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sekera to Kings for First and McKeown

MusclePharm

Holy...Well, LA's in win now mode so I guess it's fine. I guess Voynov's not coming back.

Makes the Garrison trade look pretty bad too, IMO.

lol, that's one way of looking at it.

Today, the Garrison trade doesn't look great. At the time though it did, just because we ate no salary and didn't have to use a buyout on him. Hindsight's 20/20. Nobody expected Garrison to blossom on Tampa.

Yes, because these games we had againt the metro division really matter.

However, I think Matthias' contract expectations have more an impact on this. You can't tell me that the Canucks don't have an idea.

They'll likely stand pat or do some other minor 'hockey trade', and then may trade Matthias' rights at the draft if terms cannot be met? Speculating though. They could also retain him.

I think it could be a good opportunity to be both buyers and sellers with the many vets on the roster. They could move the Higgins, Hansen, Burrows etc for a pretty decent price and get some NHL ready players in return who can fill those spots as wel as the aging vets going into the playoffs.

Today, the Garrison trade doesn't look great. At the time though it did, just because we ate no salary and didn't have to use a buyout on him. Hindsight's 20/20. Nobody expected Garrison to blossom on Tampa.

I still don't think Garrison could have been considered a legit buyout candidate. Still, seeing how much a guy like Sekera fetched.

a legit whaaaat?

Maybe top 4 but 1 season over 30 points and a career minus player without any significant physical aspect to his game is not a legit top 2 man

differing opinions on this one I guess.

I think the Kings are just trying to do what they can due to injuries and suspension to make the playoffs.

He's played on Buffalo/Carolina during their bad years.

Stats don't mean everything. Ask any Buffalo or Carolina fan about his value.

Dean Lombardi is a top GM in the NHL. He knows what he's doing.

Dan Hamhuis has only had two seasons with over 30 points (in a much longer career then Sekera)... But there IS no doubt he's a top 2 D-man.

LOL @ the notion that price dictates whether we should be sellers or not

Rather than the playoff position we are in

I would rather think bigger picture than what playoff position we are in. Like what moves continue to retool this team for the future and being a legitimate cup contender.

Costly rentals for average players do not change our fortunes this year and only cost future assets

Holy cheese nuggets! Boy does LA overpay on this one. Wow!

It doesn't really matter if LA overpays,they are a now team...They've got Quick and Doughty who are in their prime and two of the best in the business.....Kane is now out for Chicago...If the Kings can get by the Ducks,I would reckon that they are the favourite to win the SC again.

I can help with this.

Effectively Sekera just net a 1st and a 2nd or a 1st and Vey, or a 1st and a 35-40 point rookie however you want to look at it

Our team is currently winning games against huge teams in the standings. Doing it without 3/4's of our top 4 D men and more.

If people don't think that dangling a Tanev/Bieksa/Matthias and or Higgins to a team from the East in the playoffs or on the bubble won't net a solid return worth actually trading them for....you're insane

If Bieksa, Tanev, Matthias nets us anywhere near a 1st and or a 30-40 point scoring rookie while allowing us some decent cap space all while we're STILL winning games against marquee opponents on an AHL defence then it doesn't or shouldn't matter about our playoff position because we can fill those holes with our depth and we need the youth to finish the retool for when the twins and...Bieksa/Hamhuis move on or retire

This is a business first and a sport second. Money and continued income vs pleasing fans.

If the market is saying prices are as high as they'll ever be for diminishing assets you pull the trigger and claim this was always a year to gauge the teams ability to compete and assessing the roster over a season.

You don't sit back and think it's ok, these players will do us just fine anyways as they get older. You make trades for long term success

Great analogy.....

Couple things, for Vey to be a 40 point rookie he would nearly have to be a point a game for the remainder of the season. Secondly, what do you honestly believe the value of Higgins and Bieksa are? Neither are ufa's at seasons end and they're hardly contributing much this season. And finally in my opinion a player like Tanev is a guy we would look to keep as long as the price doesn't get ridiculous, not to mention he is a rfa so there is absolutely no rush to even consider trading him, most importantly because he is our best defender and we ourselves are llooking to be a playoff team, thus we need him.

As for SM I would like to retain him however I would like to see a deal get done before Monday.

LOL @ the notion that price dictates whether we should be sellers or not

Rather than the playoff position we are in

LOL @ you not understanding the market and asset management for an organization.

If you could, for example, get a top 20 1st rounder and a decent prospect in return for Higgins + our 2nd rounder... you do that deal in a heartbeat.

Dropping one of our bottom 6 guys (when we have excess) will not make the difference in our playoff fortunes. Another 1st rounder may very well make a BIG difference in the coming years, especially if it is from a team that is maybe just in the playoff picture right now and maybe falls out of contention and turns that pick into maybe a #12 or something.

Yeah if Sekera fetched all that, what would Tanev get us? 1st rounder and an B+ prospect?? Maybe to Tampa for their 1st and Connolly?!?!? Any other suggestions

We'd be fine without Tanev btw. Corrado will fill in nicely.

To be more exact... we will be fine without Tanev at the cap hit he will have next year and beyond.

Every negotiation his camp has played hardball. That means they will be asking for around $5 million this time, if not more since he has been playing top pairing minutes.

Realistically he will end up signing at somewhere between $4 - 4.5 million I would think. There are a lot of better uses for those cap dollars than Tanev in my opinion. At $3.5 million he would be a great deal... above $4 million and it is getting iffy.

Kings vs Habs Finals.

It's like two nuclear superpowers loading up knowing they'll eventually face eachother in the playoffs.

Until the Queen's get roughened up and tossed aside by our Canucks in the first round. Payback time for that brutally fixed series the nhl forced us into.

LOL @ you not understanding the market and asset management for an organization.

If you could, for example, get a top 20 1st rounder and a decent prospect in return for Higgins + our 2nd rounder... you do that deal in a heartbeat.

Don't worry you won't

If sekera can get that, so can Bieksa. I say trade KB to Detroit for a 1st and a prospect, then use that money to re-sign tanev

Hmmm

There must be an assumption that Ken Holland has completely lost his mind-or am I missing something?

Why would he trade for a 33 year old who is injured for most of the rest of the season, who has had a poor year clearly on the downside of his career and who makes a couple million more than Sekera?

Why shouldn't Sekera, still playing well, 5 years younger than Bieksa and so far as I'm aware still healthy, have more trade value than Bieksa?

Archived