The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade deadline ~~ UFA's Richardson, Dorsett, Matthias ~ which one goes?

Nuckstove

i think Hansen can be moved out now sadly as kenins a younger cheaper version, an Higens can go now also with the emergance of Horvat all reasonable attempts should be made to resign Mathias.Dorset may be moved also to clear space as Virtanen will be trying to make club next year so we make room next yr or yr after.Still not sure about Kassian since he is only 40% of Higgens salary cap,he may be around till end of next yr as no decent offers have come in on him and it looks like he loves his tough love home an seems to be working right now.Our foray into this yrs Playoffs are questionable yet an may be short lived if can get there an be bounced in 4 or 5 games if face the Kings .Blackhawks have bolstered up for another run same for ducks an kings we are poor sisters in the pacific this year.

Lol @ trading Matthias. He has worked his ass off for us all season long. Finally gets placed in a top 6 role. 2nd in goals on our team. If anything, he deserves a multi-year extension with us.

I like Dorsett's game. He has good offensive instincts while still playing a "stiff" game.

I say Richardson is odd man out with the emergence of Horvat, and Gaunce waiting to break into the NHL next season.

I agree with all that...both Matthias and Dorset are having career high years.

The three UFA's: Richardson, Matthias, Dorsett

Their future with the Canucks will come down to a business decision. It would be great to keep all 3 but it will depend upon:

• The Cap
  • Negotiations with the 3 UFA's
  • Negotiations with other players like Tanev
  • Will other players like Higgins be moved?

I think that Richardson is the most expendable because of Horvat's development. Although, Richie brings some good intangibles with respect to mentoring young players.

Dorset is somewhat duplicated by Kenins but you really can't have enough players with that skill set and Kenins doesn't fight.

Matthias has a profile (big, fast, versatile, good on PK) that is very desirable. I expect that he would be asked after the most of the three by GM's looking to add a nice piece. He may also be asking for the most money of the three because of this and he would get big bucks on the open market. Having said that, this is a breakout year for him and he doesn't have much history of performing well so like Tanev last year, he may be persuaded to take a shorter term contract (1-2 years) at a moderate salary. He will still get $3.5M imo which may be the reason why we see Higgins (or somebody like him) moved in the off season.

Why on earth would we trade any them. We would have to give up solid assets to acquire rentals of their quality. Were making the playoffs and hey if we can't sign them in the offseason at least we didn't give up our future. If they can't be traded for younger players with upside who can play NOW they won't be traded. IMO Richardson is very valuable to this team for the Playoffs, we should remember Horvat though playing well is 19. What would be the point of trading them for picks now then having to then turn around and pay for rentals. Especially for the prices we have seen. Keep them and if they walk they walk so be it.

I could see Higgins and a redundant prospect Jensen/Gaunce being moved at the deadline for a top 6 fwd under contract for a few more years.

With the trade deadline 3 days away and the Canucks with 3 UFA's in Dorsett, Richardson, and Matthias, as well as only $2.4 million in cap space, there's no way we can sign all three in the offseason and still be under the cap. Do we sell one of them on Monday for something in return or do we just let one or more walk this summer?

We discuss this and more in our latest podcast episode right here!

http://nuckstove.podomatic.com/entry/2015-02-27T14_50_26-08_00

Richardson is as good as gone, he's having a career year and his value is at an peak even with the injury we'll get a second from someone.We keep both Dorsett and Matthias

If I'm on another team the only strong candidate for me to pick up would be Matthias. Shawn has been on a bit of a run here recently and has been playing really good hockey. He could be the piece I'm missing to put together a push for the cup.

The only other candidate would be Dorsett, who definitely brings a physical presence to the ice and is good for an assist or goal every now and then. Is he going to push my team over the top? Eh, I'm not so sure. Unless there's an injury that he could fill, I wouldn't trade for him.

Richardson. Why would I trade for Richardson? I mean the kid has shown flash over the past 2 years, but trading for an injured UFA? Kind of a tough sell.

Now, I would move any of these guys if I know they're not coming back next year, but they'd have to over-pay me for Matthias.

Archived