The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Canucks going to trade up in the draft?

Nearly out of the question, I mean, it's going to be a better idea to trade down at this point.

We have assets like players and future picks to give up; obviously, next year's draft is going to be to die for, as well. The depth going into the second and third rounds is going to be quality-enforced.

Then again I overvalue picks. I'm sort of known to like the draft a little too much, in others' opinions...

I'm with you on overvaluing the draft and draft picks, I just find the drafting/scouting/development part to be so interesting. I love the draft speculation lol

Usually can't stand what you have to say but I agree with you here to some extent, though I still feel Hansen and Higgins could be moved for draft picks not in the first round. Vey, though unlikely, could be traded if JB feels the offer is right.

I wanted to see something at the deadline...with limited cap space to sign all of: Tanev, Matthias, Clendenning, Sbisa, Richardson, Corrado, Markstrom, and Sanguinnetti (though I feel he's good as gone, somebody somewhere will offer a better opportunity), I think we would've been well advised to move somebody for a pick (especially since we don't have one in the 2nd or 3rd) and teams seemed to be over-paying at the deadline. Richardson for a third would've appeased me lol.

Benning said yesterday he has not asked Higgins to submit a list of teams and he never will. Idk about hansen though.

Right now I'm thinking trading down to try and grab 2 2nds would be the best option. If we keep our pick I think Brandon Carlo would be the best option. I would love to try and trade down and grab Juulsen or Rasmus Andersson.

zacha konecny and sprong would be better choices imo.

I think with the move on Monday for SB, Jensen is expendable so it'll be something like our 1st(12th/13th overall) + Jensen for a 9th/10th overall.

Except as of now our pick is going to be 16 or higher, so we probably won't have a 12th/13th pick to trade. It will more likely be in the 16-22 range. We might be way better off moving down 5 or 6 picks to get an extra pick out of a team like Buffalo or Toronto. Moving an 18th for a 24th plus a 31st-40th if that option becomes available would be a good move.

Except as of now our pick is going to be 16 or higher, so we probably won't have a 12th/13th pick to trade. It will more likely be in the 16-22 range. We might be way better off moving down 5 or 6 picks to get an extra pick out of a team like Buffalo or Toronto. Moving an 18th for a 24th plus a 31st-40th if that option becomes available would be a good move.

2015 Van 1st Rnd (18th)

to Tampa Bay for

2015 NYR 1st Rnd (25th) (St Louis - Callahan Trade)

2015 BOS 2nd Rnd (46th) (Conolly Trade)

Would that work?

2015 Van 1st Rnd (18th)

to Tampa Bay for

2015 NYR 1st Rnd (25th) (St Louis - Callahan Trade)

2015 BOS 2nd Rnd (46th) (Conolly Trade)

Would that work?

Yeah obviously we don't know exactly where these picks will have landed by then end of the playoffs but this is the kind of trade I could see us making. Obviously it depends on a team picking below us really wanting to move up too. Although I suspect Benning will want a higher second rounder since he just traded ours away.

Heck we could end up trading down for the Rangers and Tampa firsts. Go from 16-18 for the 25+28 or something.

Heck we could end up trading down for the Rangers and Tampa firsts. Go from 16-18 for the 25+28 or something.

That would never happen even in a draft that wasn't this deep. Given that this draft is so deep, even 25+46 for 18th is a bit a stretch imo. Unless somebody drops severely, in which case I would just take them.

That would never happen even in a draft that wasn't this deep. Given that this draft is so deep, even 25+46 for 18th is a bit a stretch imo. Unless somebody drops severely, in which case I would just take them.

It's happened plenty of times before. Heck it's happened for teams that are looking to move up 2 spots before.

Also maybe you don't really understand the "deep draft" reference. The top 2 are exceptional this year and most of the top 10 are as good as last year's top 5, that doesn't mean that the players going in the second round are as good as lost years top 5 too though. There's still a big talent drop off later in the first round, and most GMs are saying that they don't feel the second round is that strong this year. That's why you have seen so many teams trade away late firsts and seconds at this deadline. They are not all retarded guys that have no idea what they are doing. These are extremely calculated decisions. Even if there are GM's that aren't publicly saying they don't think the later picks this year are that great, they are moving those picks without much problem.

It's happened plenty of times before. Heck it's happened for teams that are looking to move up 2 spots before.

Also maybe you don't really understand the "deep draft" reference. The top 2 are exceptional this year and most of the top 10 are as good as last year's top 5, that doesn't mean that the players going in the second round are as good as lost years top 5 too though. There's still a big talent drop off later in the first round, and most GMs are saying that they don't feel the second round is that strong this year. That's why you have seen so many teams trade away late firsts and seconds at this deadline. They are not all retarded guys that have no idea what they are doing. These are extremely calculated decisions. Even if there are GM's that aren't publicly saying they don't think the later picks this year are that great, they are moving those picks without much problem.

I understand completely. I'm not a child you don't have to talk down to me. When at all did I say the 2nd round will be like last years top 5? I know what I mean by deep draft.

So tell me, when in the last 10 years have 2 firsts been traded for 1 to move up less than 7 spots. If we're talking about top-10 picks maybe, but not in the late teens, early twenties. Also, maybe if a top 15 pick drops to 25 (like McCann did) I could see it happening. Maybe I shouldn't have said "never", as it obviously set off alarms for you. I should have just said I could never see it happening in such a heavy first round like this year's.

Also, the movement of later first round and second round picks has nothing to do with draft depth. Any draft, picks will be traded. Do you have a quote for that bolded part about many GM's saying this second round isn't deep? Maybe compared to next year it isn't. I've heard talk of next draft not being so top heavy but still deep into the rounds. I have yet to see an official statement, though.

Also, GM's "are moving these picks without much problem" because there will always be playoff teams buying players off bottom feeders for picks. That's why usually later picks are traded. Lower teams want to keep their high picks.

I don't see any valid argument in your statement.

I understand completely. I'm not a child you don't have to talk down to me. When at all did I say the 2nd round will be like last years top 5? I know what I mean by deep draft.

So tell me, when in the last 10 years have 2 firsts been traded for 1 to move up less than 7 spots. If we're talking about top-10 picks maybe, but not in the late teens, early twenties. Also, maybe if a top 15 pick drops to 25 (like McCann did) I could see it happening. Maybe I shouldn't have said "never", as it obviously set off alarms for you. I should have just said I could never see it happening in such a heavy first round like this year's.

Also, the movement of later first round and second round picks has nothing to do with draft depth. Any draft, picks will be traded. Do you have a quote for that bolded part about many GM's saying this second round isn't deep? Maybe compared to next year it isn't. I've heard talk of next draft not being so top heavy but still deep into the rounds. I have yet to see an official statement, though.

Also, GM's "are moving these picks without much problem" because there will always be playoff teams buying players off bottom feeders for picks. That's why usually later picks are traded. Lower teams want to keep their high picks.

I don't see any valid argument in your statement.

I'm not going to do your homework for you. But you are making it sound like the value of a second round pick this year is almost the same as a first because it's simply a "deep draft". I'm simply saying the second round as per several GM's this year is not that great, and the "deep" reference everyone keeps using for this draft applies to the top 15 or so picks, not every single round. So teams aren't going to be any more hesitant to to trade a second rounder to move up, and the later firsts are not being valued that highly. I'm more inclined to put more weight on the opinion of a guy like Benning or Bowman on the value of this year's picks over some random on cdc.

It's deeper than the top-15 or so picks. Trading the third and then the second, twice, during a rebuild phase, was CRAZY.

The Kesler trade was embarrassing and a huge, forced loss, but we STILL gave up our 2015 3rd as well? lul

The Garrison trade was a silly giveaway to Tampa Bay, but at least we got a valued 2015 2nd. But nope, let's give that up for Vey, healthy-scratch material... a slow, soft, playmaking winger who doesn't really fit here.

Then giving up another 2nd and picking up Zero-Goal Sven, who's useless to us now at deadline time and about as good as redundancies Jensen, Hunter and Vey long-term? LUL!

If Gillis performed these moves we'd have his HEAD by now.

It's deeper than the top-15 or so picks. Trading the third and then the second, twice, during a rebuild phase, was CRAZY.

The Kesler trade was embarrassing and a huge, forced loss, but we STILL gave up our 2015 3rd as well? lul

The Garrison trade was a silly giveaway to Tampa Bay, but at least we got a valued 2015 2nd. But nope, let's give that up for Vey, healthy-scratch material... a slow, soft, playmaking winger who doesn't really fit here.

Then giving up another 2nd and picking up Zero-Goal Sven, who's useless to us now at deadline time and about as good as redundancies Jensen, Hunter and Vey long-term? LUL!

If Gillis performed these moves we'd have his HEAD by now.

Kesler trade was embarrassing? Let's see you pull a deal and move a player with a NTC that has given you a list of ONE team that they'll go to. Right away you have absolutely zero leverage and any sort of typical return is out the window. Any GM who knows this is gonna take every opportunity they have to bend you over my friend.

and for the record we traded a 2014 2nd round pick (Roland Mckeown) for Vey. Trading a 2nd round pick for Baershci is totally fair...yeah he hasn't lived up to the hype yet but he's still young. Think of it this way: If we drafted a Baerschi clone with that pick you'd probably have to change your pants.

The way I see it we have our 1st then a potential two 2nds and a 3rd if we could find homes for Higgins Hansen and a goalie.

In the 1st I think we should go for the BPA it would be stupid not to. Especially if were picking in the 20's. I don't think we should trade up because we will need to draft those D we desperately need in the system.

Guys I would be stoked to welcome to the system from the 2nd round are.

R Pilon D (Would maybe even use a 1st on him if no one significant drops to us.)

N Meloche D

A Musil C

F Ahl LW

L Jesper D

Siegenthaler D

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=738676

The trades made this year say otherwise.

But I agree that it's a stretch to think we could get that much.

Also tampa's first went to the Flyers for....Coburn

Then giving up another 2nd and picking up Zero-Goal Sven, who's useless to us now at deadline time and about as good as redundancies

I think 2016 will have a deeper pool of prospects than this year, hard as that is for me to say; I'm glad the Canucks gave up this year's 2015 2nd rounder instead of next year's or the year after's. High value got us Sven Baertschi, and he's got loads of talent. To start picking out things like his goal scoring at a time when he had no motivation to play for a team that didn't want him is absurd. If you were picked to a team that you had no desire to play for, and the management didn't think you were going anywhere in the least - would you feel the motivation to play your best?

If need be, they can always pick up a 2nd rounder at the draft.

Just be patient, though. 2016 is going to be a great draft too.

However, if they start giving away 2016 draft picks, I'll be even more pissed off than BanTSN is right now.

Archived