The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cory Conacher Talk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What's his skill sets like?

Is he a speedy player? Good hands? Lots of tools, but just too small?

If he's able to be a Gallagher type player who is willing to go to the dirty areas, finish every check and get greasy goals, I don't see why he won't have a future in the NHL.

• 3 weeks later...

Conacher fan here. Good trade, glad we have him.

Green has him with Baertschi and Friesen. Against Chicago, Conacher took some bad penalties but they were all errors of commission, not omission. He was taking the body all over and really aggressive. Chicago was huge on D and they obviously felt that they had to intimidate and hit that line (and the Gaunce, Bancks Hamilton line) which is relatively small. After every whistle there were late hits, face washes, very physical. But CoCo (and Friesen was an agitator too) just kept coming back for more. He is short but compact and a workout warrior I'm told. Explosive skater who seems like he will thrive in the heavy forecheck system here in Utica. His numbers were not great in Chicago series but he was a force out there every shift. He is one of those players who every time he touches it you get that feeling of anticipation that something good is going to happen.

Right now I think he and his linemates are still working on the chemistry part and he was a little prone to trying to do too much out there and got in trouble at times (penalties, off sides, out of position, stuff like that) but again it came from him playing with a lot of fire. If they find just a little more rhythm they could end really up lighting it up in the playoffs. Clearly our best offensive line and they got tons of ice time in Game 5.

Conacher fan here. Good trade, glad we have him.

Green has him with Baertschi and Friesen. Against Chicago, Conacher took some bad penalties but they were all errors of commission, not omission. He was taking the body all over and really aggressive. Chicago was huge on D and they obviously felt that they had to intimidate and hit that line (and the Gaunce, Bancks Hamilton line) which is relatively small. After every whistle there were late hits, face washes, very physical. But CoCo (and Friesen was an agitator too) just kept coming back for more. He is short but compact and a workout warrior I'm told. Explosive skater who seems like he will thrive in the heavy forecheck system here in Utica. His numbers were not great in Chicago series but he was a force out there every shift. He is one of those players who every time he touches it you get that feeling of anticipation that something good is going to happen.

Right now I think he and his linemates are still working on the chemistry part and he was a little prone to trying to do too much out there and got in trouble at times (penalties, off sides, out of position, stuff like that) but again it came from him playing with a lot of fire. If they find just a little more rhythm they could end really up lighting it up in the playoffs. Clearly our best offensive line and they got tons of ice time in Game 5.

Thanks for the insightful post Hobart! :)

Just a curious question, do you live in Utica?

Oh and how would you compare Cory Conacher to Dustin Jeffrey while he was here? Thank you!

I live in Clinton, NY about 9 miles from the Aud. You may know this already but the Comets are named for the Clinton Comets who were ECHL champs and played at the historic Clinton Arena from 1949 to 1973. A lot of them settled in the area and helped with youth hockey and bringing the NJ Devils organization here in the 90s. Clinton also has the oldest collegiate rink in the US at Hamilton College. This is hockey country as even Utica College games sell out the Aud. Colgate is 20 minutes from me and I try and catch a couple of their games each year as well.

Jeffrey wasn't quite as explosive as Conacher but he was a well rounded, complete, veteran player who probably did more at the defensive end. Jeffrey was a little bigger and would muck around the net as well as the corners very effectively. Conacher does it too, and is more than willing to get dirty, but he is a smaller package and open ice suits him a little better. Conacher was AHL MVP I believe a few years ago (maybe it was the playoff MVP) and he can score. I think for a lot of AHL guys the thing that keeps them out of the NHL is their finishing. I think they look at Conacher as a younger prospect who can score but they had to give up something good in Jeffrey to get him. I'd say the puck control and forecheck game here in Utica didn't suit Jeffrey quite as well. He is more of a straight line guy although it is a close call.

I live in Clinton, NY about 9 miles from the Aud. You may know this already but the Comets are named for the Clinton Comets who were ECHL champs and played at the historic Clinton Arena from 1949 to 1973. A lot of them settled in the area and helped with youth hockey and bringing the NJ Devils organization here in the 90s. Clinton also has the oldest collegiate rink in the US at Hamilton College. This is hockey country as even Utica College games sell out the Aud. Colgate is 20 minutes from me and I try and catch a couple of their games each year as well.

Jeffrey wasn't quite as explosive as Conacher but he was a well rounded, complete, veteran player who probably did more at the defensive end. Jeffrey was a little bigger and would muck around the net as well as the corners very effectively. Conacher does it too, and is more than willing to get dirty, but he is a smaller package and open ice suits him a little better. Conacher was AHL MVP I believe a few years ago (maybe it was the playoff MVP) and he can score. I think for a lot of AHL guys the thing that keeps them out of the NHL is their finishing. I think they look at Conacher as a younger prospect who can score but they had to give up something good in Jeffrey to get him. I'd say the puck control and forecheck game here in Utica didn't suit Jeffrey quite as well. He is more of a straight line guy although it is a close call.

I know the goalie for colgate (Charlie Finn) Heard he's ripping up the NCAA and went to NJD development camp last year. For anyone who doesn't who Charlie Finn is an undersized goalie but has won at every level. He is currently undrafted by i'm sure he will be one of the top collage UFA's in a couple of years. He's got mad game.

Forgot he was a Vancouver boy.

Colgate had a good season and lost in ECAC final to Harvard this year I believe. It is great going to those Colgate games. The rink doesn't hold a lot of people so you are right on top of the game and they have a fantastic schedule.

Archived