The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) (proposal at a new Draft format)

I like, I really do! Only thing I don't like about it is that teams who are usually contenders could easily have a bad year and end up with the top pick.

Otherwise, I really like it!

Similar to Nashville. They weren't really a contender before but were abnormally weak last year with Rinne gone.

Good point

How about all the non playoff teams go into a tournament to establish seatings for the draft....... you win to get the #1 pick (no more tanking)

That wouldn't work cause the best teams, the teams that just miss the playoffs, would have a good chance of getting the 1st overall. Like say LA misses the playoffs by 1 point. Edmonton now has to play LA to be able to get a high pick. Edmonton loses, and gets stuck with the 14th pick, while LA goes on to draft McDavid.

sorry but it just wouldn't work. teams who are fringe playoff teams would always get the top pick and lower level teams would never get the players needed to develop a franchise.

I like, I really do! Only thing I don't like about it is that teams who are usually contenders could easily have a bad year and end up with the top pick.

Otherwise, I really like it!

The chances are still small. It's like the actual lottery. Chances are very small, but if you win, you win big time. You hit the lotto with a top 3 pick.

I like either this idea or the idea of making it all even. The lottery as it works today, just isn't, exciting, fun, or really do much. It needs to be reformed to make it a fun event and stop tanking

My idea for anyone who cares. 14 teams miss the playoffs. Last place gets 14 balls, 2nd to last gets 13 and so on until the 14th place team gets 1 ball. My math says that is 105 balls. First ball picked gets #1, which means the worst team in the league gets slightly over a 10% chance. Pick a 2nd ball, if it is the same team discard it, if it is a different team they get #2. Keep on picking until all 14 teams have been picked. This way the worse teams have a better chance off getting a good pick, but all teams have a chance of improving their pick, even the # 14 could conceivably get #1.

So what do teams like Phoenix do the improve? They cannot attract top talent, they have near crippling financial restrictions. How do you teams like this improve if they are not allowed to draft at the top of the draft. Phoenix struggles just to retain the top talent that they do end up drafting. Such teams need the life line and that is the draft. The NHL needs parity, they have already taken steps to reduce the rewards for tanking.

Archived