The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ranking Prospects and Waiver Issues

JamesB

As has come up in other threads, the Canucks will have some tough decisions next fall as several young players will no longer be waiver exempt. This makes the ranking of prospects very interesting. I will use the standard definition of prospects as current rookies, guys who would be rookies if they played on the Canucks this year and young guys fighting for a roster spot. I have given my list below for FORWARDS only and have indicated which guys are not waiver exempt next year.

My top 3 are standard. Then it gets interesting and I have some questions after the list.

1. Horvat

2. Virtanen

3. McCann

4. Baertschi (not waiver exempt)

5. Kenins (not sure) (See edit below. Still not sure)

6. Vey (not waiver exempt)

7. Jensen (not sure) (See edit below. .)

8. Cassels

9. Gaunce

10. Shinkaruk

11. Grenier (not waiver exempt)

Questions:

1. How many of these guys make the team next year? I think 4, with 5 as the max.

2. Which guys make the team?

3. Who gets moved?

There are already 8 forwards under contract: Sedins, Vrbata, Burrows, Bonino, Higgins, Hansen and Kass. And there are two UFAs people expect to be back (Dorsett and Matthias). That makes 10 and does not leave much space for the young guys. There are either 3 or 4 additional rosters spots, depending on whether the team carries 7 or 8 D. Some guys have to go, maybe in trade for draft picks before the draft.

Horvat will be on the team. And so will Baertschi. And I think Kenins and Vey will be back. That means Jensen and Grenier would probably go (or would clear waivers and be sent back to Utica). And it means Virtanen will be back in Junior (along with McCann).

But I am guessing that Kass and maybe Higgins get moved.

There are similar issues on D, but this is enough for one post.

Thanks for reading

EDIT: I read in a couple of places that Jensen would not be waiver exempt next year. Based on age alone, however, he should be exempt for 5 years, starting with the year he was 18 at the start of the year. That would take him up to 22, which be next year. As for Kenins, I think he was signed at age 22, which means that his exemption expires after 70 professional games or 3 years. Next year would be his 3rd year, so his exemption would expire part way through the season.

I'm in the same boat. People need to get moved, and I don't know if they want to trade Jensen, but where does he fit on the RW?

Kassian will get moved at the draft hopefully for a 2015 and 2016 second ala Connolly.

Even then we need to move people and I think they want to keep Matthias. Richardson should be traded if possible, I like his game but no room again.

Literally 4 or 5 players need to be moved / let go.

I wish Ritchie was healthy cause he could have been moved at the deadline.

Biggest danger/fan's fear is squandering some of these assets with no return.

Assuming JB (&TL) must have considered the implications. Maybe they've already agreed with another GM(eg:Nonis) to swing a 4 for 2, or 3 for 1 around DD?

That guy OWES us one, with all his past childish games. Would make sense, as TO wouldn't want pieces now, to mess up draft position.

Something like Vey, Bonino, Sbisa, +aging prospect for Kadri & a pick, for example.

I think many people are going to be kinda disappointed with the lineup next year if they are expecting 4-5 young guys in it. I have a feeling the lineup will look eerily similar to how it is right now. Maybe 1-2 guys gone and 1-2 new guys in. But any more than that is pie in the sky thinking.

Can anyone explain how come Jensen is not waiver exempt?

I thought it was 5 seasons from being drafted or 3 seasons from playing 11 + games

5 seasons would bring us to 2016/17

and he played 17 games in 2013/14 so three years is 2016/17 still

am I missing something?

I think many people are going to be kinda disappointed with the lineup next year if they are expecting 4-5 young guys in it. I have a feeling the lineup will look eerily similar to how it is right now. Maybe 1-2 guys gone and 1-2 new guys in. But any more than that is pie in the sky thinking.

Well Baertschi will be here next year unless we want to lose him to waivers. Same deal with Kenins and Vey. But other than that you're right. Won't be that much different.

Jensen still has one more year of waiver exemption-elgibility. Since he signed when he was 18 it is 5 years of waiver exempt and it has only been 4.

Kenins signed when he was 23 so that is 3 years of waiver exemption and he has only had two so one more year left for him too as long as he doesnt play 60 games

I'm pretty sure Jensen is exempt from waivers next season. Corrado is not. Kenins i'm not sure about. It is his first year of being under contract with the organization but he was signed as a free agent. I think it's safe to say that Kenins makes the team next year. Corrado is the big question mark because one of his years of eligibility was burned up by playing him over Ballard in the playoffs 3 seasons ago. One of the d​umber moves of the Gillis regime Virtanen and Mccaan have to play in the NHL and can't play for Utica until the 2016-17 season. Grenier will have to go through waivers if he is re-qualified. Baertschi has to make the big club or he will be claimed on waivers.

Can anyone explain how come Jensen is not waiver exempt?

I thought it was 5 seasons from being drafted or 3 seasons from playing 11 + games

5 seasons would bring us to 2016/17

and he played 17 games in 2013/14 so three years is 2016/17 still

am I missing something?

Its which one appproaches first the 5 years or 3 seasons from playing 11+ games

From your list, these waiver exempt player will almost surely be on the team next year

Kenins

Baertschi

Clendening

"Young" guys from this season on next season roster

Kassian

Stanton

Vey

Horvat

Comets next year

Gaunce

Shink

Cassels

Subban

Back to Jr

Virt

McCaan

Traded/Released

Jensen

Grenier

Corrado

Jensen still has one more year of waiver exemption-elgibility. Since he signed when he was 18 it is 5 years of waiver exempt and it has only been 4.

Kenins signed when he was 23 so that is 3 years of waiver exemption and he has only hd two so one more year left for him too

Thanks!

Its which one appproaches first the 5 years or 3 seasons from playing 11+ games

They both end up the same, 2016/17 so one more season of not having to pass through waivers (2015/16).

Guest Dasein

Pretty much

It depends on how you look at it. Leaving aside the posters who continually put up the rosters full of rookies, it still represents a significant change over the course of only one full season.

If two of our older players on the wrong side of 30 years old go, and it's not applicable to the discussion which ones since everyone has their own opinion who it could/should be, and they are replaced with 22/23 year olds, then we are substantially younger.

Already we are looking at a lineup with well over 1/2 of our players likely under the age of 27.

Bonino

Matthias

Horvat

Kenins

Baertschi

Jensen

Tanev

Corrado

Kassian

Clendening

Vey

Sbisa

Stanton

Baertschi is obviously a lock to get qualified/signed so he's a Canuck for sure. What happens from there is up to him. And Vey needs to stay so we didn't waste what we traded for him (2nd for each of them - SB from CGY and LV from LA). We can move them after that if needed (but doubtful). Unless Bo does something incredibly stupid he'll be a Canuck next year. Jensen and Corrado will be up and downers. Grenier signs 2 way or he's gone. Kenins is good but a dime a dozen, take him or leave him...he signs a 2 way or bye-bye. Rest are AHL or JR. If JB was shopping Kass for real then I think he would have been gone by the TD so he'll still be a Nuck. I think Hansen and Higgins will be dealt on DD15 (and Lack too). Now that the TD has passed, Richie/Matthias/Dorsett will be signed.

So that gives us 10 vets (signed + whoever/whatever roster players we get back for trading H/H/L...PMD + rights to Beleskey please? EDIT: I keep making this mistake...Beleskey is UFA not RFA so we don't need to trade for his rights...my bad) so basically 3 spots available (I think based on our disastrous year on D that JB will carry the extra D) for Bo, Sven, Vey...roster set.

Baertschi, Beleskey, Bonino, Burrows, Dorsett, Horvat, Kass, Matthias, Richardson, Sedins, Vey, Vrbata

From your list, these waiver exempt player will almost surely be on the team next year

kenins lock

baerchi lock

clendenning lock

"Young" guys from this season on next season roster

kass lock

Stanton should be back

Vey might be on 3rd or 4th if higgins gone

horvat lock

Comets next year

gaunce could possibly be on fourth line next yr

shink 50/50 depends on training camp and how hard he trains this summer

casseks yes

subban yes

Back to Jr

virtanen no he will get nine game audition then play at world juniors then back to juniors

mccann back to juniors and worlds j championships

Traded/Released

Jensen traded

Grenier utica or claimed

Corrado on team

Baertschi is obviously a lock to get qualified/signed so he's a Canuck for sure. What happens from there is up to him. And Vey needs to stay so we didn't waste what we traded for him (2nd for each of them - SB from CGY and LV from LA). We can move them after that if needed (but doubtful). Unless Bo does something incredibly stupid he'll be a Canuck next year. Jensen and Corrado will be up and downers. Grenier signs 2 way or he's gone. Kenins is good but a dime a dozen, take him or leave him...he signs a 2 way or bye-bye. Rest are AHL or JR. If JB was shopping Kass for real then I think he would have been gone by the TD so he'll still be a Nuck. I think Hansen and Higgins will be dealt on DD15 (and Lack too). Now that the TD has passed, Richie/Matthias/Dorsett will be signed.

So that gives us 10 vets (signed + whoever/whatever roster players we get back for trading H/H/L...PMD + rights to Beleskey please?) so basically 3 spots available (I think based on our disastrous year on D that JB will carry the extra D) for Bo, Sven, Vey...roster set.

Baertschi, Beleskey, Bonino, Burrows, Dorsett, Horvat, Kass, Matthias, Richardson, Sedins, Vey, Vrbata

wow not sure how kenins is a dime a dozen 10 points in 15 games hits passes scores 200ft player your a horrible judge of character

^ ^ ^ Admittedly I have made mistakes before (I once gave away Brad Larsen - in Jr. - for 2 nobody's) but generally I have a pretty good sense of a player's future abilities. And guys who skate 200 ft and chip in 3 goals in 15 games (they all can pass and skate) are pretty regular (bottom 6). I think all GM's (and their scouting staffs) who passed on him twice (here's a hint...it was all of them) agree with me. I'm glad we got a chance to sign him is a F/A but don't expect him to be the next Pavel Bure (we didn't sneak one past anybody here, other GM's just went with the 3rd/4th liners that they already had). So if you were to state with confidence that Kenins will turn out better than any of our bottom 6 or 7 I listed, then by all means we sign him and give him a roster spot. I just think that Baertschi, Beleskey, Dorsett, Horvat, Richardson and Vey are better choices...if we have to choose who to keep/discard.

Archived