The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Verdict on Vey

TheRussianRocket.

Now he is just a rookie so we should take it easy on him, but what do you guys think of Vey so far?
He's consistently given a lot of chances and in comparison to those chances, he hasn't produced as much as he should have. Now I'm appreciative of his production but would it be greedy to ask for more out of what he's had? Another rookie Bo is averaging the same amount of points (0.37) and doesn't get PP time. Vey gets over 2 minutes of PP time a game, Bo less than 15 seconds, and Linden hasn't scored a PP goal since November. Horvat also has 2 more even strength goals while having played 10 less games and getting 2 minutes a game less than Vey. And Linden is pretty poor on faceoffs.
I mean Vey is effective but doesn't really fit any kind of role at the moment and may not have a spot for himself on the roster next year due to the logjam of forwards. He is a creative player and that's really all I can say at this point in time. It's a good thing, but we should see a bit more than just that. He is just 23 so with the time he's getting, we should expect to see his development rise quite a bit knowing he's comfortable with the time he's getting. He has good vision but needs to be more aggressive as a player in general. Looks like he lacks emotion on the ice due to it and as a result lacks competitiveness from what I see. He should try being more involved instead of kind of floating around waiting for opportunities though I'm hopeful that will change after this years experience...should go a long ways.
Nothing against Vey, just discussing his play. He's a real nice guy and is a NHL level forward; thing is, he hasn't found/doesn't have a real role. He's skilled but not so highly skilled. He's 6 foot, 190lbs but doesn't play like it as he's not agitating in anyway and doesn't get into many puck battles. He needs to have a 200' game to make up for it but doesn't, defensively a liability. Not a great skater (good but nothing special), weak on the puck, and has practically zero physicality. At times he's good without the puck but not always. Kind of reminds me of ex-Canuck Sergei Shirokov when he had his handful of games before he left. Similar type of player imo.
Willie clearly wants his boy to succeed and sees something in him with all the chances he's given him so I trust WD. However, there seems to be too much hoping he succeeds and emotional connection (same with Dorsett in specific scenarios) when there are other guys playing better and have had limited opportunities in correlation. Not to make this a Kassian thread, but it's boring hearing Willie say he has to "earn" his opportunities when Vey gets them, seemingly unearned.
And for Vey's role on the team, the way he plays, he has to be scoring to keep a spot really as he's not fit for a bottom 6 role. He has an offensive ceiling and it will be interesting to see what type of player he is if he hits it. If not, it's not too hard to see Linden gone in a year or two.
...don't mistake me, I'm not bashing Vey, just being honest in evaluation and I wonder what you guys think. For a $790K salary, there isn't much you can really say. 22 points in 60 games isn't too shabby. With all the ice he's seen, I think it's needed for him to develop (just like any other player lol) in the NHL and I'm honestly happy with it as it should help him ease in with a full season under his belt. Plus he has a very green, locker room friendly attitude.

horvat and kenins are so dependable 200 ft game plus hit get dirty in corners score and hustle. Vey can score but theres not much else to his game i could see benning trading him in offseason especially since we stole baerchi we need to recoup that lost 2nd. id keep vey on pp and up his value then trade him but horvat should def get a look on our lameduck 2nd unit pp

If he could add onto his size a bit over the summer and play better defensively, that would be good. He show flashes of great hands and skills and have a good offensive instinct. He can be very creative with the puck as well. I wouldn't give up on him just yet, and see how he progresses next year.

He was doing well a while ago, when Bonino was injured. Which is odd, because he seems like the type of player who would do worse with more responsibility and tougher matchups.

Still, 22 in 60 is decent production from a rookie playing on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines with 2nd unit PP time. Hopefully he can round out his game, because there are better options than him at the moment for the bottom 6.

His play style is very awkward.

When he stick handles the puck or tries to deke he freezes half way and doesn't follow through and ends up coughing it up. Time in and time out he tries to do the toe drag through the player or the inside out play but he plays as if the guy will sit back and watch him do it, but dman aren't stupid, they will attack you and fend you off easily.

Even when he shoots he looks like he is using too short of a stick because he just doesn't get much off at all.

I've defended Vey many times on this board preaching patience and I will do the same again. I want him to succeed because I think he can be a special player but he hasn't bought into the system yet.

But the amount of chances this guy gets and opportunities he has been given...22 points just ain't enough from him. Particularly when he doesn't bring much else to the table.

Also needs to win more draws...too easily muscled out of the dot...and clean wins too, needs to find a way to try and win them better...but has improved as he had a 69% and 67% record against the Sharks and sabres

Now he is just a rookie so we should take it easy on him, but what do you guys think of Vey so far?
He's consistently given a lot of chances and in comparison to those chances, he hasn't produced as much as he should have. Now I'm appreciative of his production but would it be greedy to ask for more out of what he's had? Another rookie Bo is averaging the same amount of points (0.37) and doesn't get PP time. Vey gets over 2 minutes of PP time a game, Bo less than 15 seconds, and Linden hasn't scored a PP goal since November. Horvat also has 2 more even strength goals while having played 10 less games and getting 2 minutes a game less than Vey. And Linden is pretty poor on faceoffs.
I mean Vey is effective but doesn't really fit any kind of role at the moment and may not have a spot for himself on the roster next year due to the logjam of forwards. He is a creative player and that's really all I can say at this point in time. It's a good thing, but we should see a bit more than just that. He is just 23 so with the time he's getting, we should expect to see his development rise quite a bit knowing he's comfortable with the time he's getting. He has good vision but needs to be more aggressive as a player in general. Looks like he lacks emotion on the ice due to it and as a result lacks competitiveness from what I see. He should try being more involved instead of kind of floating around waiting for opportunities though I'm hopeful that will change after this years experience...should go a long ways.
Nothing against Vey, just discussing his play. He's a real nice guy and is a NHL level forward; thing is, he hasn't found/doesn't have a real role. He's skilled but not so highly skilled. He's 6 foot, 190lbs but doesn't play like it as he's not agitating in anyway and doesn't get into many puck battles. He needs to have a 200' game to make up for it but doesn't, defensively a liability. Not a great skater (good but nothing special), weak on the puck, and has practically zero physicality. At times he's good without the puck but not always. Kind of reminds me of ex-Canuck Sergei Shirokov when he had his handful of games before he left. Similar type of player imo.
Willie clearly wants his boy to succeed and sees something in him with all the chances he's given him so I trust WD. However, there seems to be too much hoping he succeeds and emotional connection (same with Dorsett in specific scenarios) when there are other guys playing better and have had limited opportunities in correlation. Not to make this a Kassian thread, but it's boring hearing Willie say he has to "earn" his opportunities when Vey gets them, seemingly unearned.
And for Vey's role on the team, the way he plays, he has to be scoring to keep a spot really as he's not fit for a bottom 6 role. He has an offensive ceiling and it will be interesting to see what type of player he is if he hits it. If not, it's not too hard to see Linden gone in a year or two.
...don't mistake me, I'm not bashing Vey, just being honest in evaluation and I wonder what you guys think. For a $790K salary, there isn't much you can really say. 22 points in 60 games isn't too shabby. With all the ice he's seen, I think it's needed for him to develop (just like any other player lol) in the NHL and I'm honestly happy with it as it should help him ease in with a full season under his belt. Plus he has a very green, locker room friendly attitude.

Bolded some of the parts which specifically irked me, since you apparently think all rookies must have great seasons or something.

I don't find vey to be that bad on defense. honestly if he could work on his strength and get a few power skating lessons I think he could become a very good player for us. something that gets on my nerves with vey is how he holds onto the puck so much, tries to do a few dekes and then gets the puck turnovered.

He's a rookie. There's no verdict on him yet. These "fans" are unbelievable.

Many people are upset that he is given chances and seems to be the coach's pet while others aren't afforded such luxuries. I think most of the ill will is over how Kassian wasn't getting the same respect as Vey gets from the coaches.

My problem with Vey from the beginning was always about where he fits on this team.

He's not going to be a top 6 guy on our team as we have young guys who'll be filling those roles down the road.

He's not a fourth line player. Just isn't big enough.

So where does that leave him? I think he's basically pidgeon-holed into that third line spot and I just don't believe he's the type of player that should be playing in that role longer term.

A bit of overkill here.

I personally am not putting the guy on trial. so there won't be a verdict.

He's been reasonably good in the kind of minutes you give a young rookie. He's been inconsistent, but he's had some good productive stretches, and he clearly has the workings of NHL game. Nice acquisition that will continue to improve, develop his game, gain strength, and confidence with time.

Not to make this a Kassian thread, but it's boring hearing Willie say he has to "earn" his opportunities when Vey gets them, seemingly unearned.

Of course not, nothing is further from your mind than Zach Kassian hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....

Archived