The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Asleep at the wheel - will it cost the Canucks?

stanleycanucks

With the NHL season moving to crunch time, when it's time for teams to begin "flipping the switch", it's incredible to see the Canucks continue to fall asleep at the wheel with the lesser teams.

Looking at this season, tonight's loss in Arizona is the 10th loss to the league's bottom dwellers. Over those 10 games they've lost by a combined score of 45 to 19.

Out of those 10 games, they've come out with a whopping 1 point.

What a head scratcher! Willie seems like a good coach, so it's not like the players aren't prepared.

Will this trend be their undoing down the stretch here?

I agree. They need to play better at the start of the game. I would not mind some lull moment in middle of the game but not at the beginning of the game and they have been doing this in last 5 games. They have allowed the first goal in the last 6 of their last 7 games indicate that they need at least a period to get going in the final 2 periods which is not good. They need to find a way to prepare themselves for a better play at the start of their game.

Hope it does this team needs a wake up call. Benning needs to trade parts of the core.

New season I'd like the team to look like

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baerstchi-Bonino-Vrbata

Burrows-Horvat-Jensen

Dorsett-Matthais-Kenins

Extra Vey

Richardson, Higgins, Hansen all traded

Defence :

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Clendenning

Sbisa-Bieksa

Extra - Stanton

Traded Weber

Hope it does this team needs a wake up call. Benning needs to trade parts of the core.

New season I'd like the team to look like

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baerstchi-Bonino-Vrbata

Burrows-Horvat-Jensen

Dorsett-Matthais-Kenins

Extra Vey

Richardson, Higgins, Hansen all traded

Defence :

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Clendenning

Sbisa-Bieksa

Extra - Stanton

Traded Weber

no offense thats not really trading the core id trade higgins, hamhuis, richardson, bonino and vey and burrows weber can be let go hes a bum

no offense thats not really trading the core id trade higgins, hamhuis, richardson, bonino and vey and burrows weber can be let go hes a bum

I would do but Hammer is bc boy with a NTC no way they ask him to waive he took a discount to play here. And Burrows has been here so long and is well like i can't see the canucks moving him heart and soul. \

Yet i would trade them for the right deal

tanev and bonino for couturier and a second

miller for a second

higgins for a third and fourth

jensen and hamhuis for pulock and a second

fire the coach

sign a faceoff winning 4th line c

Hansen and sbisa for a decent left hand dman

virtanen sedin baerchi

sedin couturier vrbata

mattias horvat kenins

dorsett 4line c kass

vey

edler pulock

leftie clendenning

stanton bieska

cotrado

lack

markstrom

I would do but Hammer is bc boy with a NTC no way they ask him to waive he took a discount to play here. And Burrows has been here so long and is well like i can't see the canucks moving him heart and soul. \

heart and soul score more than zero goals a yr hes not earning his wage hell if im benning i demand him to eaive his ntc or pressbox his ass

It's embarrassing. Hamhuis has been one of our worst for turn overs. The guy has been doing it consistently. And bonino ??? Wow. I don't know what has been on Danny s mind defensively lately but it hasn't been hockey

Hamhuis is fine in the defensize zone, it's his offensive zone turnovers that kill all the momentum and the chances going other way.

Hamhuis really should really work on getting shots through traffic (at least the first blocker).

We are truly one big joke?

All I know is that I sure hope Willie watches the number of turnovers that this team gave up especially in the overtime the next time he wants to sit out ZACK for giving up the puck. TRUST me, if he doesn't remember I'll sure be reminding him . . .

Dorsett was on our second. DEREK FRIGGIN DORSETT.

Yeah, I don't get how our PPs are set up.

Hammer and Dorsett shouldn't be there IMO

For the last two years before this year Hammer was the Canucks best D, hands down. At age 32 we would not expect significant age-related decline yet. He should have a couple of very good years left. While Edler was out he was outstanding, basically carrying the D, playing big shutdown minutes with a partner (Weber or Sbisa, usually) who is not even a legitimate top 4 guy, let alone a top pairing D.

And even tonight, he was the Canuck's best D. And, although the Canucks gave up too many good chances, the D was not the real problem tonight. That was mainly the result of not scoring early and then having to take too many chances.

But I agree he should not play on the PP.

Archived