The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Physical and Mental toughness

Chivas

I'm a Canuck fan but like many have strong reservations for the Canucks making the playoffs, and winning a series if they do. Their mental toughness is severely lacking when playing teams like Buffalo, and Phoenix, which could have easily propelled them into the playoffs after their strong performances against good hockey teams. The Canucks have shown very good Physical and Metal toughness against very strong competition, but I believe they would get too beat up to sustain it thru a seven game series. That said anything can happen.

I dont think they are losing because of lack of mental toughness. I think the collective players on this team just aren't good enough to contened for a Stanley Cup.

They are trending in the right direction with the youth in their current lineup and those yet to come up. But they are still at least 2/3 years away from contending.

I dont think they are losing because of lack of mental toughness. I think the collective players on this team just aren't good enough to contened for a Stanley Cup.

They are trending in the right direction with the youth in their current lineup and those yet to come up. But they are still at least 2/3 years away from contending.

But...but...we don't know HOW to be patient! Failure now means failure forever, doesn't it?

We won't lose in the playoffs because of mental or physical toughness, we just aren't that great of a team. Unlike 2011, we have depth scoring but not enough top end skill. And in the playoffs, you need your top end players to be the best on the ice. This year (and in the past couple of years) our top six will get outclassed by everyone barring Calgary when the going gets tough and playoff refereeing is implemented. During the regular season coaches are much more open to distributing minutes evenly in order to avoid fatigue and such, but in the playoffs if you want to go the distance you better be prepared to ride your big guns. And good teams are able to do that. Are we confident enough to hand the ageing Sedins ~25 mins and Bonino's line ~22 mins? If not our bottom six will be seeing some scary matchups against big lines.

Sometimes even good teams lose to bad teams. This is particularly true after a major upheaval and even a long string of losses for the bad team, or just the end of the season where a team has nothing left to play for but pride, where a bunch of plugs just bond together and outwork a team that should be able to handle them easily.

We were unprepared and unmotivated to an extent, but we're still a quality enough team that making the playoffs is very reasonable. Maybe that doesn't mean much if we aren't bound to have much playoff success just yet, but it does mean the sky isn't falling after a bad loss either.

Let them play and enjoy the ride.

Getting up for good teams is not a sign of mental toughness...everyone does that. Showing up to play for the W against weaker teams is where mental toughness comes in.

As for Physical toughness...if the Nucks had to face Winnipeg in the first round, by the end of 4 games they would be icing the Utica Comets. How many walking wounded did we have after the last game against the Jets?

Nucks aren't mentally tough and they are not physically tough. They're also not fast or overly talented after the twins...Quite the identity. \

Getting up for good teams is not a sign of mental toughness...everyone does that. Showing up to play for the W against weaker teams is where mental toughness comes in.

As for Physical toughness...if the Nucks had to face Winnipeg in the first round, by the end of 4 games they would be icing the Utica Comets. How many walking wounded did we have after the last game against the Jets?

Nucks aren't mentally tough and they are not physically tough. They're also not fast or overly talented after the twins...Quite the identity. \

Nope, not tough enough either way. Average talent. Too easy to play against.

This is exactly why I hate NHL hockey sometimes. A skill game is much more entertaining to watch than some wrestling match along the boards.

I agree with all of this. However, despite this they still seem to win a lot of games. At the end of the day they haven't fallen apart yet as I thought was going to happen 20 games ago. They are also winning important games and against all of the teams teams we expect them to lose to.

Maybe that is the identity. Meat and potatos. Winning at 5 on 5 through balanced line up that is effective at rolling 4 good lines rather than 1 great line and a few average lines.

If the canucks are going to go far in the playoffs it will be Calgary-esque 2004. A couple real good players and then a balanced line up that finds ways to win by working hard front to back.

This is exactly why I hate NHL hockey sometimes. A skill game is much more entertaining to watch than some wrestling match along the boards.

While that may be more "entertaining", the way to win hockey games is to grind it out like they did against the Sharks and winning is more important to fans.

We won't lose in the playoffs because of mental or physical toughness, we just aren't that great of a team. Unlike 2011, we have depth scoring but not enough top end skill. And in the playoffs, you need your top end players to be the best on the ice. This year (and in the past couple of years) our top six will get outclassed by everyone barring Calgary when the going gets tough and playoff refereeing is implemented. During the regular season coaches are much more open to distributing minutes evenly in order to avoid fatigue and such, but in the playoffs if you want to go the distance you better be prepared to ride your big guns. And good teams are able to do that. Are we confident enough to hand the ageing Sedins ~25 mins and Bonino's line ~22 mins? If not our bottom six will be seeing some scary matchups against big lines.

They lost in 2011 because of the lack of mental/physical toughness. This team has showed they can compete against the top teams when they are on their game. I am actually surprised to see the twins actually showing toughness this year. Our top players did not come through in 2011 so I do not see that as being a concern. It will be more like if we can roll four lines, all contribute offensively and the teams overall toughness will dictate how well we do in the playoffs.

Wait what could not getting up for games against crap teams tell you about their ability to get up for big games? The playoffs aren't against buffalo they're against the st Louis and Anaheim type teams. Don't you think those games are maybe a more important tale?

As for physical play, this team is the most physical we've had in years.

Wait what could not getting up for games against crap teams tell you about their ability to get up for big games? The playoffs aren't against buffalo they're against the st Louis and Anaheim type teams. Don't you think those games are maybe a more important tale?

As for physical play, this team is the most physical we've had in years.

Take a look at the second half of last year what could happen when a team has no mental toughness. You are also correct I have seen them stick up for each other more as well as the twins playing with more intensity this year. Much improved over years past.

They lost in 2011 because of the lack of mental/physical toughness. This team has showed they can compete against the top teams when they are on their game. I am actually surprised to see the twins actually showing toughness this year. Our top players did not come through in 2011 so I do not see that as being a concern. It will be more like if we can roll four lines, all contribute offensively and the teams overall toughness will dictate how well we do in the playoffs.

I don't know where to start.

Archived