The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 NHL Entry Draft [June 24-25th || Buffalo, New York]

Benning likes this draft so much because he has been planning for it. Fire sale on 2016 deadline for lots of picks, don't be surprised if he makes big packages and swaps big salaries just to get more picks. The team didn't fall apart in 2015 so he has to stick by the "make the playoffs" motto. Hopefully we could land some real game changers in 2016 and rejuvenate this team even if it means getting a lottery shot. Would be great to land Chychrun.

I think the smartest thing to do in this draft is to pick the coolest names. SO, my top picks are...

- Simon Stransky

- Alexander Nylander

- Rasmus Asplund

- Dillon Dube

OR

take Ronnings son

OR

take Elder and Eder

ONE LINE WITH EDLER, EDER and ELDER. CAN YOU EVEN IMAGINE?

Bob Cole would have an aneurysm

*Warning* This post has a bit of a "trade proposal-y" flavour. You've been warned.

So the Canucks are looking worse and worse by the day. We traded our best goaltender and one of our better defencemen, though maybe not top-4 necessarily, for picks. We got nothing that helps us in the immediate future. Top-10 pick here we come.

In the event that we are sellers at the deadline this coming year, which I'd guess is probable as of right now, I think it's safe to assume that Hamhuis and Vrbata would be moved at the deadline. There will be teams interested and the Canucks could get great returns.

Vrbata, if he has another good year, will certainly fetch us a 1st round pick and Hamhuis will get us a late-first. I think Hamhuis has lots of value for a contending team -- he's still a very good d-man -- and I'm also taking into account the fact that teams hideously overpay at the deadline.

Now let me bring this back to draft-talk...

Let's assume that the Canucks get pick #9 (from the standings), #22 and #29 (from the Vrbata/Hamhuis trades). Here are the players listed at these spots in Future Considerations' preliminary rankings:

9 - Sam Steel (C/Regina Pats)

22 - Brett Howden (C/LW/Moose Jaw Warriors)

29 - Max Lajoie (D/Swift Current Broncoes)

It is very, very, very early but that would be an all-WHL draft that, at this time, I'd say would be a pretty good haul.

Steel's rookie numbers (54 points, 17 goals and 37 assists, in 61 games) are similar to Barzal's rookie stats (54 points in 59 games). He's on a not-so-great offense in Regina and still came close to a PPG in his draft-1 year. He's an undersized (5'11) left-shooting centre with time to mature physically. Right now, he has a very similar profile to Barzal's at this point last year. He was the 2nd overall pick in the 2013 WHL bantam draft.

Howden is the younger brother of Quinton Howden -- who FLA drafted w/the 1st round pick we gave them for Ballard -- and had a really good rookie year with 46 points (22 goals and 24 assists) in 68 games, which would be a full OHL/QMJHL season. He's a 6'1 centre, who played W, I believe, at the 2015 U18's as an underager. The Warriors are not a good team and will lose their 2nd leading scorer due to age, so it will be interesting to see how Brett does. They will still have Brayden Point though, which is huge for them. Howden is listed by the WHL as 6'2 187 lbs. so he has good pro-size already. He was the 5th overall pick in the 2013 WHL bantam draft. He is a player that I expect will move much farther up in the rankings. Probably a pipe-dream to expect to get him past 20.

Lajoie is a defenceman with a late 1997 birthday who plays on a bad Broncos team, that still made the playoffs somehow. He's coming off of a rookie season where he got 40 points (7 goals and 33 assists) in a full 72-game schedule. That is solid production from a rookie defenceman in any CHL league. The Broncos will be losing 2 of their top-3 scorers which will hurt, but they still have DeBrusk, Gawdin, and Merkley who are decent-to-very good WHL players. Lajoie is 6'1, shoots left, and is only 170 lbs. so he has room to grow for sure. He also only had 22 PIM so he clearly doesn't play with a huge edge. Lajoie was the 95th overall pick in the 2013 WHL bantam draft.

~ The End ~

(Sorry for writing a novel here.)

Haha if the Canucks get into the bottom five in the league this year, you realize what's going to happen right?

The Aquilini's would see the situation as "So we're building for the future - our revenue sucks because people stopped coming to games to see Eddie Lack and KB3 - and the team is at the bottom of the league again?"

They would get impatient and fire Linden, Benning, and co.

At the end of the day, the Vancouver Canucks aren't Buffalo... they're charging upwards of 130 dollars a ticket.

Haha if the Canucks get into the bottom five in the league this year, you realize what's going to happen right?

The Aquilini's would see the situation as "So we're building for the future - our revenue sucks because people stopped coming to games to see Eddie Lack and KB3 - and the team is at the bottom of the league again?"

They would get impatient and fire Linden, Benning, and co.

At the end of the day, the Vancouver Canucks aren't Buffalo... they're charging upwards of 130 dollars a ticket.

There's an easy way to fix that. Lower the ticket cost. They're the richest family in Vancouver, they can afford it. Once the team is competitive again, and tickets start going at faster rates, then increase the price again.

There's an easy way to fix that. Lower the ticket cost. They're the richest family in Vancouver, they can afford it. Once the team is competitive again, and tickets start going at faster rates, then increase the price again.

They're to stupid to lower ticket prices..... If they want to build a "Atmosphere" around Rogers Arena you can;t just have the fithy rich going to games because A) the could probably care less B they use games as a networking tool and are very really diehard Canucks fans. YOU need the "averge joe who "has followed the Canucks for ____ years if you want to build an atmosphere that people are attrached too....

But they honestly couldn't care less about the team they just want their money....

At least we'll pick in the top 5 this year.

to be honest, if they are just a mediocre bunch, 1st round exit type of team, I rather us draft top 5, then get spanked by a crappy team in the 1st round.

I expect us to have 3 picks in the top 50 next year, and hopefully another 3 picks from 51-100

Anaheim second rounder is probably in the late 50's.

btw, the Vancouver Canucks DO NOT have a 3rd round pick in 2016, I repeat, DO NOT.

it was traded for Andrey Pedan

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Future/Canucks.htm

Archived