The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Devan Dubnyk: Hart Finalist?

Mustapha

What can I say? The guy has had an amazing season. 28 wins in 44 appearances, his numbers are in the top 3 for goaltending statistics, and he was the catalyst for the resurrected playoff hopes of the Wild.

He will continue to receive the lion's share of goalie minutes down the stretch so if all goes according to plan, and Minnesota wins enough games to secure 4th or even 3rd in their division, would it not be prudent to give 'Doobie' Hart consideration?

My 3 major reasons for considering Dubnyk:

1. Instant, tangible impact. 19-4-1 since Wild acquired him.

2. Numbers are beautiful: .937 save percentage with Minny equals Hart favourite Carey Price, with a sparkling 1.67 GAA. If he keeps it up, his win totals might be top 4, with an out of this world win percentage.

3. Job Saver: Mike Yeo might be unemployed right now if it weren't for Doobie. The guy completely turned around the Wild's season with stunning goaltending.

I know people will think of Price, Ovi etc, but the Hart is all about the player most valuable to his team.

In my mind the biggest difference between a bottom feeder Central Division Minny team and a solid Minny playoff team with upset potential is Devan Dubnyk.

Also, side note: if he can go on an extended win streak to end the season I would also consider him for the Vezina.

Thoughts?

I know it's easy to pick the sexier optionscoutceast

Definitely. He's the only reason the Wild are even close to making the playoffs and he's started 24 straight(I think, might be 23). I still don't think he'll win it but I'd have him, Tavares, and Price as my finalists.

No way he should even be considered. I want the MVP to be someone who played a full season and I have a biased against goalies winning the Hart Trophy when the Vezina trophy exists (same with the Norris trophy).

1. So the Hart Trophy is only for forwards? That's slightly positionist.

2. He did well with a sucky Coyotes team as well, going 9-5-2 and .916 SP.

3. He's been unreal with the Wild and if they make the playoffs, it's because of him.

4. We get to make fun of the Oilers even more.

I fully support Dubnyk getting the Hart.

Watch him get signed long term to a massive contract only to be dumped a couple of season later...

One good season should not be a way to measure how well a goaltender is.

Well...the Hart (like all the awards) is based on one season, so I don't understand your argument.

I think Price has already won. Rightly so too IMO.

I don't believe Montreal would miss the playoffs without Carey Price. We saw where Minnesota was without Dubnyk.

Price gets a lot of accolades for his work, primarily because he plays for a high profile Eastern team that gets a lot of media coverage.

However, Dubnyk has made up a ton of ground in what some would consider the league's toughest division.

If the last 15 games are anything like the first 25, Dubnyk will be forced into Hart consideration.....assuming anyone stays up to watch the West.

I don't believe Montreal would miss the playoffs without Carey Price. We saw where Minnesota was without Dubnyk.

Price gets a lot of accolades for his work, primarily because he plays for a high profile Eastern team that gets a lot of media coverage.

However, Dubnyk has made up a ton of ground in what some would consider the league's toughest division.

If the last 15 games are anything like the first 25, Dubnyk will be forced into Hart consideration.....assuming anyone stays up to watch the West.

Honestly I think Montreal would miss the playoffs without Price. If not miss they would be fighting for a playoff spot.

Basically it's going to come down to the fact that Price played the whole year with Montreal and Dubnyk's sample size will be too small with the Wild. I know you're not but I'm just going to say that you can't take into consideration his games before he was with the Wild as those games had no impact on the Minnesota Wild as a team. So you can't say he's already played 44 games this year. He's only played 25 games with the Wild. Even if he plays the last 15 he'll only be at 40 with the Wild. That's 48% of the season; not even half. That's too few games IMO. We saw Crosby get screwed out of a Hart trophy in the 2013 season cause he got hurt and missed some games. Crosby still played 75% of the games in that season. Yet that wasn't enough for him to win.

As we all know, the Hart trophy is awarded to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team. While that may indeed be Dubnyk, his sample size will be too small IMO to win (see Sidney Crosby 2013). If 75% of the games isn't enough to win the Hart, then 48% definitely isn't.

Honestly I think Montreal would miss the playoffs without Price. If not miss they would be fighting for a playoff spot.

Basically it's going to come down to the fact that Price played the whole year with Montreal and Dubnyk's sample size will be too small with the Wild. I know you're not but I'm just going to say that you can't take into consideration his games before he was with the Wild as those games had no impact on the Minnesota Wild as a team. So you can't say he's already played 44 games this year. He's only played 25 games with the Wild. Even if he plays the last 15 he'll only be at 40 with the Wild. That's 48% of the season; not even half. That's too few games IMO. We saw Crosby get screwed out of a Hart trophy in the 2013 season cause he got hurt and missed some games. Crosby still played 75% of the games in that season. Yet that wasn't enough for him to win.

As we all know, the Hart trophy is awarded to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team. While that may indeed be Dubnyk, his sample size will be too small IMO to win (see Sidney Crosby 2013). If 75% of the games isn't enough to win the Hart, then 48% definitely isn't.

Couple points real quick:

1.) You can't really compare what Devan Dubnyk did for Minnesota this season with Sidney Crosby and Pittsburgh in 2013. Two different players, teams and season circumstances.

2.) There is no 'games played' requirement for the Hart. Keep in mind I suggested that Hart nomination should be considered assuming that Minnesota makes the playoffs, preferably in a top 3 spot. Minnesota still has to play St. Louis three times,

Nashville twice and Anaheim, Chicago and LA, just an example.

The hardest part of the road is still ahead. If Dubnyk can help pull off wins over these teams, it will be one of the biggest midseason impacts since Patrick Roy in 1996.

Not to mention, if this does indeed happen, Dubnyk's win totals will be precariously close to Price's despite the 'smaller sample size'

Archived