The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks signed Ashton Sautner to a three-year entry-level contract

PRDs

You sure about that? I know I was wrong cause I forgot he was actually drafted in 2013 not 2014, but why would he re-enter the draft after this season? I thought it was 3 years not 2.

It's 2 years.

The Canucks have until June 1 to sign him, or they lose his rights.

He has 36 points as a over ager in the WHL. Not really impressive numbers, I wonder what Benning has seen in him. Still can't believe they didn't give Bobby Sanguinetti a chance. Bo sang has way higher ceiling then any D-man at the farm along with the former 1st rounder on his resume. This organization will regret this decision of not giving Bobby Sanguineetti a chance, just wait till next year!

I tend to agree with this..also this guy is an overager,,,which may work out,,but I remember a guy named Dane Fox who was going to fill the net.

Benning is all positives. He's showed us he's not just worrying about the NHL team but AHL team as well. Understands it's crucial prospects get groomed in a successful environment and his asset management is second to none.

Mallet for Pedan, getting something out of a soon to be nothing. Conacher and Acton. All intelligent moves. And although he wasn't acquired by JB, Kenins is the reason why take flyers on these types of guys. Some pan out, others don't, and when they do you come out looking like a genius. Just doing a quick search of Sautner and he looks like a great Utica move and potential to crack the NHL. He handles himself well in fights and plays a conservative and efficient 2way game.

Zero risk move, just salary used up and projects like this are worth it if they turn out to be NHLers some day. If not, again, zero risk. Kid is a leader looking at the C he reps with the Oil Kings and he doesn't really have any flaws. Just a good all around defender. Glad JB took up a flyer on him :)

@DubFromAbove:

Great to see Oil Kings D Ashton Sautner sign an ELC with the Canucks. I've been a fan of his going all the way back to the 2012 NHL Draft.

@DubFromAbove:

I ranked Sautner 42nd among #WHL skaters for the 2012 NHL Draft. He's done nothing but show consistent improvement since then, either.

@DubFromAbove:

I also featured Sautner in Jan. for a piece about #WHL free agent signing candidates. Read: http://t.co/WvDPKo0DG4 http://t.co/iYSyuaSpzP

I'm more interested in what Benning thinks of this team's future defence. We already have Pedan, Corrado and Clendening who can play in the AHL (Corrado and Clendening likely done their careers there), Tryamkin, Hutton, Subban, McEneny, Stewart, Cederholm, maybe McNally within 1-2 years plus some veterans like Biega and Huskins in Utica. Obviously some will go to the ECHL, but it's quite a logjam though some might not be signed or given PTOs.

Benning is all positives. He's showed us he's not just worrying about the NHL team but AHL team as well. Understands it's crucial prospects get groomed in a successful environment and his asset management is second to none.

Mallet for Pedan, getting something out of a soon to be nothing. Conacher and Acton. All intelligent moves. And although he wasn't acquired by JB, Kenins is the reason why take flyers on these types of guys. Some pan out, others don't, and when they do you come out looking like a genius. Just doing a quick search of Sautner and he looks like a great Utica move and potential to crack the NHL. He handles himself well in fights and plays a conservative and efficient 2way game.

Zero risk move, just salary used up and projects like this are worth it if they turn out to be NHLers some day. If not, again, zero risk. Kid is a leader looking at the C he reps with the Oil Kings and he doesn't really have any flaws. Just a good all around defender. Glad JB took up a flyer on him :)

Agreed. Zero risk move that could pay legit dividends. Take everything we know about this kid now and imagine he was 18. He'd be drafted for sure imo. With that in mind I think it's another signing that helps fill the gaps with all the lost mid/low round picks from previous years.

looks good another free prospect who helps team with character and heart in future dam benning just keeps making smart moves

While I agree that Benning is smart, this is a simple signing of a player that may or may not make it. I'm sure Benning has scouted him well and thinks highly of the guy, but I think any good GM will be looking for players like these to sign.

Hopefully, he can surprise everyone having been overshadowed during his tenure with the Oil Kings. :)

Archived