The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks signed Ashton Sautner to a three-year entry-level contract

PRDs

His coach in Kingston seems to use him a ton from what I've seen. It's almost like he never leaves the ice.

He's on the first unit powerplay and on the first unit pk. The most recent game I saw him play, he played around 30+ minutes.

As the overager on the team, he definitely seems to be the go to guy. Hopefully that will help him round out his game, and he'll be able to transition into the AHL much more easily next year. If he has a good summer of training, could see him being Utica's powerplay QB next season.

Sportsnet game cpl weeks ago? Many injuries so he was out there half the game. But yeah he's good. Better then Mckeown. Looks huge on the ice. Dont think he'll be PP qb, I assume thatll Clendinning, or a Weber replacement. With Clendinning, Pedan, Andersson, Tryamkin, Biega, Sautner, Lafranchise and a vet replacement for Huskins, I think McEneny starts ECHL, with Subban. If anyone makes it, its Sautner. Our depth is solid now. Look at Fox n Valk, dominant CHLers, wont crack AHL til maybe next year. Nothing wrong with that though. Red Wings had guys like Frk, Tvrdon, Ferraro, etc. developing in ECHL

His coach in Kingston seems to use him a ton from what I've seen. It's almost like he never leaves the ice.

He's on the first unit powerplay and on the first unit pk. The most recent game I saw him play, he played around 30+ minutes.

As the overager on the team, he definitely seems to be the go to guy. Hopefully that will help him round out his game, and he'll be able to transition into the AHL much more easily next year. If he has a good summer of training, could see him being Utica's powerplay QB next season.

Thank You!

Did some digging, and found that he was ranked 92nd in the 2012 draft for NA skaters. Granted, added to the other rankings of Goalies and Euros that might put him in the 4th to 5th round. In hindsight though, these rankings are all over the place, with Henrik Samuelsson being ranked as low as 75th (he went in the first).

Sautner actually has some games under his belt for Canucks viewing, unlike McEneny who's 2 games led to a contract in June... somehow. I like the pick up, and I think since Benning has acquired numerous D in the likes of Pedan, Clendening, and now Sautner - added to the previously drafted Tryamkin, Subban and Corrado, we might actually see Benning draft another forward in the first round, now that our defense pool is bigger.

I like Sautner.

But I don't hold out a lot of hope he's the top pairing D man we hope for?

I bring up a point I made last year; we cannot draft D men in the first round only once or twice every ten or twenty years, and expect to consistently find high end defenseman?

Last 20 years > Bourdon, Bryan Allen and Brad Ferrence.

I suppose if Hanafin (assumed) Provorov, Kylington or Werenski are all gone... Perhaps we should be thinking of the forward BPA. If there is a top pairing candidate, I think we need to go for it. I don't think you can consistently ignore a category, and expect not to have holes on your team?

Perhaps we should be thinking of the forward BPA. If there is a top pairing candidate, I think we need to go for it. I don't think you can consistently ignore a category, and expect not to have holes on your team?

If Jeremy Roy were somehow available when we select I think we'll take him.

It's clear from Benning and Linden's scouting trip that they have their eye on him.

Talent Analysis

Sautner has been forced to play behind other, very talented defenders on the Oil Kings's roster, so he could be a bit of s sleeper. He moves the puck well for a player of decent size, and seems to have a good two-way game when given the opportunity to show it. Sautner could stand to work on his defensive game a bit more and for the most part doesn't have one area of his game that truly stands out. But a team willing to show some patience might be rewarded by choosing Sautner.

6'1 185, LH shot

Good Canadian kid from southern SK

If nothing else it's another prospect in the cupboard

another stanton

hey bud open your eyes ... i wanted to be ruder to ya but i won't considering the rules of this forum your in the right... its on the canucks home page even i saw it right away...

Considering the fact that Gstank posted that remark right when the news broke out, it wouldn't have been on the site at that time.

No need to bash like that considering the timeline.

Considering the fact that Gstank posted that remark right when the news broke out, it wouldn't have been on the site at that time.

true that ... was considering the timeline...

True, plus a lot of CDCers (including me) have the forums bookmarked, and usually completely skip the front page all together.

outdated misconception

QMJHL avg team GF 13/14 - 217

goals/game - 3.19

WHL avg team GF 13/14 - 240.

goals/game - 3.34

in short, no.

How many top D-men come out of the WHL compared to the Q?

How many top forwards come out of the WHL compared to the Q?

Scoring may be comparable, but the quality of the players in the WHL to the Q are not.

Zero risk move, just salary used up and projects like this are worth it if they turn out to be NHLers some day. If not, again, zero risk. Kid is a leader looking at the C he reps with the Oil Kings and he doesn't really have any flaws. Just a good all around defender. Glad JB took up a flyer on him :)

And a contract. Would think this spells the end of Blain and/or Andersson (both likely to be gone with more D coming in).

If Jeremy Roy were somehow available when we select I think we'll take him.

It's clear from Benning and Linden's scouting trip that they have their eye on him.

Seems JB has also been watching Barzal and Harkins of late.

Archived