The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ashton Sautner | D

S N Y P E R S 7

thats what I wonder...I can't find any videos or information on it.

Nevertheless if he can that does give him an advantage

Here's a highlight from Mar 20th game (I believe the last game before the playoffs for the Oil Kings where they lost 6-2)

^ Follow that guy on youtube, he occasionally uploads video of Canucks junior prospect games.

From my views, I gather the following:

- Plays primarily on the left side with Aaron Irving (Nashville 6th round pick in 2014) on the right

- Plays powerplay and I believe some PK

Pros:

- Loves to rush the puck up the ice, with Irving staying behind to cover for him most of the time.

- Can stick handle pretty well, on a PP he was skating on the offensive blue line and stick handling to create space for the other players.

- Have good patience with the puck and tried to hold onto and make passes on the PP

- Good stick defensively, knock the puck off attacking players on a few occasion.

- Threw 1 memorable hit on the other team's forward

- Maintain good distance when defending 1 on 1 (he did get burned on 1 of them, which resulted in a goal against)

- 2A in this game. 1st was a player tipping his shot (on a PP I believe?). 2nd was a 2nd assist finished by his teammates.

Cons:

- 2-3 bad-brutal turnovers... first one was a pass up to the opposite team player's stick in the slot that was stopped by a great save by Tristan Jarry (Pittsburgh 2nd rounder 44th overall in 2013). *Jarry looks really good in this game too.

- 2nd one was not able to cleanly receive a pass at the point and the other team had a breakaway and scored.

I am no expert, but from this 1 highlight video, he seems like a LHD more offensively oriented defenseman. Good offensive skills, but definitely need some work in his defensive side of game.

Edited by Gerbera
  • Upvote 3

He seems like Sbisa with Clendenning speed. Jumps up in the rush, doesn't mind to throw the weight around, threw a few "pizzas", and looked pretty slow...

Very "meh" prospect for me, expect him to start in the ECHL next year with a potential call up to Utica if injuries ensue.