The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] The impact of Derek Dorsett on the Canucks

TheRussianRocket.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/03/15/the-impact-of-derek-dorsett-on-canucks/

Derek+Dorsett+Lance+Bouma+IrC0LbSHLKPm.j

When Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning flipped a 3rd-round draft pick for Rangers tough-guy Derek Dorsett, it was a trade that was met with mixed reaction. While a large chunk of the fanbase was thrilled to see a guy like Dorsett come to Vancouver, there were some who questioned the merits of swapping a 3rd-round pick for a fourth line player. Whatever the case may have been, it's doubtful many Canuck supporters are second guessing the trade at this point, as the former Blue Jacket has become a valuable member of this Canucks roster, both on and off the ice.

The 28-year-old out of Kindersley has developed into a favorite of coach Willie Desjardins, having played in key situations such as the final minutes of close games, as well as regular shifts on both the first and second power play units. While one could argue the logic behind the utilization of Dorsett in some situations (his even strength possession numbers are the worst among all Vancouver skaters), he brings a lot to the table that others don't, the obvious one being his willingness to stand up for his teammates.

Through 65 games this season, Dorsett has a whopping 14 fights, tied for second among all NHL skaters. Considering all the criticism Vancouver takes for allegedly not standing up for themselves, his willingness to take on any challenger is a welcome addition. One also has to remember that Dorsett is not a huge guy. He's below the NHL average in terms of both height and weight at six feet and 192 pounds respectively (the average being 6'1" and 204 pounds.) However, he does more than just goon it up on a nightly basis. He can also chip in offensively on a semi-regular basis. At the time of this writing, Dorsett has six goals and 16 assists, good for 22 points in 65 games, besting his previous career high of 20 points in 2011-12 with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

The former Medicine Hat Tiger's value extends further than just his on-ice conduct. He is also a key locker room presence for this Canucks squad, and has played a big role in the development of both rookie center Bo Horvat and the recently-revived Zack Kassian. "Derek's one of the guys that took me under his wing" said the 19-year-old Horvat, and as Iain MacIntyre of the Vancouver Sun reports, fan favorite Kassian was also shown the ropes by Dorsett. Considering that Benning expects these two young men to play a big role in the future of the franchise, what the former 7th round pick (2006) has been able to do for Kassian and Horvat is invaluable.

It is being reported that Dorsett and the Canucks have started negotiations on a new contract, as the winger is set to become a UFA at season's end, and it would be in their best interest to get this deal done, and done quickly. Derek Dorsett may not be the flashiest player in the Vancouver Canucks organization, but he is without a doubt one of the single most valuable.

One of my favourite Canucks' by far this year. Derek has a willingness to his game that is contagious and spreads throughout the team. He has the heart of a lions and is fearless. The toll he takes to do what he does on the ice mentally and physically is something only Derek may know of but am I ever appreciative of it.

Honestly, Dorsett really reminds of the late Rick Rypien out there. He's a guy that will stand up for any one on the team, isn't a goon, and is good enough of a player to make an impact in games other than fighting - case in point being he's already set a new career high in points this season.

The way he goes about his business, sets an example for the young guys, sparks the team, and carries himself, man, I'm sure I'm not the only one who says it's immeasurable. Derek is a great guy with an equally great attitude and I for one can't wait till he signs his extension here in Vancouver. My favourite Canucks move by far this year, bringing in Dorsett :) :)

He's playing his ass off for a contract. This will likely be his most effective season. Keep that in mind and choose whether or not to complain about his contract years from now when he can't get rid of it and he's taking a spot away from a young player, instead of mentoring them.

With the upcoming logjam, Benning has some tough decisions to make.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/03/15/the-impact-of-derek-dorsett-on-canucks/

One of my favourite Canucks' by far this year. Derek has a willingness to his game that is contagious and spreads throughout the team. He has the heart of a lions and is fearless. The toll he takes to do what he does on the ice mentally and physically is something only Derek may know of but am I ever appreciative of it.

Honestly, Dorsett really reminds of the late Rick Rypien out there. He's a guy that will stand up for any one on the team, isn't a goon, and is good enough of a player to make an impact in games other than fighting - case in point being he's already set a new career high in points this season.

The way he goes about his business, sets an example for the young guys, sparks the team, and carries himself, man, I'm sure I'm not the only one who says it's immeasurable. Derek is a great guy with an equally great attitude and I for one can't wait till he signs his extension here in Vancouver. My favourite Canucks move by far this year, bringing in Dorsett :) :)

What a great article, thanks RR! Couldn't agree more about how valuable he's been to us this season, with creating great chemistry with Bo, Hansen/Kenins.

I don't think it's fair to compare him to Rypien though. Rick was arguably the best fighter in the league in his prime, and he was a fan favourite wherever he played for.

Totally agree.

When AV went to NYR I started to watch them on Game Center and Dorsett surprised me at how skilled a player he was. He is no goon and can play hockey at a 3rd line level if need be. I was surprised NY let him leave.

The reason he excels here is two fold imo. Firstly he has played under Willie and it seems anyone who has done that appreciates the guy enormously. Secondly although he has played on the 3rd and 4th lines he has played with good hockey players who have worked well with him and vice versa, Especially when he was on the line with Bo and Hansen.

Anyway it is great to have another "glue guy" in the team and he was definitely one of the anchors of the team going through the horrendous injuries.

He's playing his ass off for a contract. This will likely be his most effective season. Keep that in mind and choose whether or not to complain about his contract years from now when he can't get rid of it and he's taking a spot away from a young player, instead of mentoring them.

The only "logjam" is in your mind bud. We haven't a clue how many of our prospects will pan out and how many if they did would exceed Dorsett's contribution.

FYI Dorsett has always played this way it's just that he has better players to work off now.

What a great article, thanks RR! Couldn't agree more about how valuable he's been to us this season, with creating great chemistry with Bo, Hansen/Kenins.

I don't think it's fair to compare him to Rypien though. Rick was arguably the best fighter in the league in his prime, and he was a fan favourite wherever he played for.

I also think Dorsett is a slightly better hockey player.

He isn't going to sign an 8 year contract with a NTC. It'll likely be 2 years max.

Horvat's line started really taking off when Dorsett was taken off of it, btw. Does Dorsett corsi? Not really. He's been victim to brutal turnovers in key situations against good teams. But he can light up teams like the Leafs. lul

As for Kassian, I believe it was Henrik who sparked a response in him when he called him out. Henrik as captain and hart trophy winner is likely the true leadership element on this team for the time being, rather than a 4th line grinder who'll throw.

I'm not sure, but perhaps Dorsett's mentorship is being overstated. Not that it's worthless, but perhaps overstated. At the end of the day we need somebody to drop them now and then, and Dorsett has performed well in that regard. But with fighting on the decline and that element being pretty interchangeable, you have to pause to consider salary and term on that element.

Since Benning traded for Dorsett and Vey, I TOTALLY expect both to be retained though. Let's hope the contracts are palatable. I don't think he's keen on tossing around ntc's to scrubs like Gillis.

Sign him to a one-year deal. That way, he works his butt off again, and it can transition prospects into the lineup (if needed).

A guy who fights one in four games is going to want more than a one year deal. His career could end in the blink of an eye. Some guys might not have the hockey skills to leverage for a longer-term deal, but Dorsett certainly does. No way he settles for a one year deal, he's earned his UFA status and I hope both parties get what they want.

He isn't going to sign an 8 year contract with a NTC. It'll likely be 2 years max.

Ya I know. But there are some hard decisions to be made regardless because of waiver eligibility on RFA's, players coming up through the system, etc. Should be interesting to see how Benning handles the turnover.

Sign him to a one-year deal. That way, he works his butt off again, and it can transition prospects into the lineup (if needed).

Contract negotiation is not a one way street ;)

I hope to see him on a fair, 2-3 year deal...say ~$2m give or take.

True, but would you rather have an extra 2 G 3 A from your 4th line winger or one of the best fighters out there, and a guy that'll stand up for his teamates no matter what.

Dorsett = personification of all the intangibles that you want in a hockey player...heart, grit, snarl, leadership, consistency.

I hope the Canucks can tie him down for 3 years at $2.0M per season. That will take Dorsett out to 32 years of age and provide the team with a great guy in the room and teammate on the ice while the young guns grow into key and leadership roles.

IMO, guys like Dorsett, Prust and Asham (in his prime) are invaluable to any team. We can't let guys like Dorsett walk for nothing.

Dorsett = personification of all the intangibles that you want in a hockey player...heart, grit, snarl, leadership, consistency.

I hope the Canucks can tie him down for 3 years at $2.0M per season. That will take Dorsett out to 32 years of age and provide the team with a great guy in the room and teammate on the ice while the young guns grow into key and leadership roles.

IMO, guys like Dorsett, Prust and Asham (in his prime) are invaluable to any team. We can't let guys like Dorsett walk for nothing.

That would be perfect imo and agree with the post entirely.

I'd like to see him re-signed to a 1-2 year deal at about $2M per season. Definitely a great player for us and he's having a career year.

he won't though. He has even said he is at a point in his career where he knows he can't play forever. This is probably the best contract he'll get. I bet he is looking at 4 years (maybe 3 if we are lucky) with decent pay.

Archived