The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nintendo NX announced... sorta.

avelanch

BRIEF-Nintendo pres says developing new game console 'NX'

(Reuters) - Nintendo Co Ltd :

* President Satoru Iwata says developing new game console "NX", details to be announced later Further company coverage: (Reporting by Teppei Kasai)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/17/idUSL3N0WJ31T20150317

No news on whether this is a handheld, console, or that fabled combo system (a handheld with console graphics that you can play on your TV at home) I imagine we'll hear more about it at E3.

Nintendo is working on a new game console codenamed 'NX'

STEVEN TWEEDIE

MAR. 17, 2015, 10:32 AM

mario-luigi.jpgFlickr/JD Hancock

Nintendo revealed Tuesday that it's working on a next-generation game console codenamed "NX."

Nintendo first announced the upcoming NX during a press conference, where Nintendo chief executive Satoru Iwata promised that the NX would be "a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept," according to Engadget.

Nintendo is still keeping the NX largely under wraps for now, but Iwata promised Nintendo would reveal more information about the new game console "next year."

It was also revealed during the press conference that Nintendo would be partnering with Japanese mobile gaming company DeNA to bring Nintendo characters and games to smartphones, which will mark Nintendo's first entry in the mobile games market.

In the past, Nintendo has chosen to tackle the mobile space through its portable game consoles such as the Nintendo 3DS, but the partnership with DeNA paves the way for Nintendo games to arrive on iOS and Android.

ninfeat.jpgNintendo

Iwata assured the audience, however, that Nintendo was still interested in making game consoles, explaining that NX would exist alongside the Wii U, 3DS, PC, and other mobile hardware including tablets and smartphones.

"As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename 'NX,'" Iwata said.

You can watch Nintendo's official announcement of the NX below.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/new-nintendo-game-console-2015-3#ixzz3UeyAjUXh

Nintendo is now entering the mobile gaming market, but to assure their fans that they are still dedicated to their gaming platforms they announced that they are currently working on the NX. Every console maker starts work on their next gen system once their current gen releases (sometimes even before it releases), but it makes sense that the next handheld would be released in the next couple years, since the 3DS is 4 years old already. they say we'll hear more next year, so in 2016 it will probably be fully revealed at E3 (with some details potentially at this one... we should know if they are announcing it this year or not based on whether they have a full conference show, or just a online thing again), and then go on sale in 2017.

Rumours have circulated for a long time now that nintendo wants to merge their 2 platforms and many people feel this next generation is the one that will do it, and Iwata's claim that it will be "a brand-new concept" hints at it as well.

Honestly it doesn't matter what they make.

If they don't get back to mass producing games at a decent price. It will still be the red headed step sibling to PS and X Box.

Can only play so many redundant mario games before it gets old

nintendo's naming conventions never last more than 2 generations for home consoles:

NES

SNES

Nintendo 64

Gamecube

Wii

Wii u

and their handhelds only go 3:

Gameboy

Gameboy color

Gameboy advance

Nintendo DS

Nintendo 3DS

Nintendo new 3DS

if this is a true crossover combo system, it only makes sense it will be a new name convention, plus both the handheld and console systems are due for a change in naming convention anyway.

Also, I'd like to think that they learnt their lesson with the Wii U (plus they'd want to distance themselves from the wii U, since it underperformed).

Haven't touched mine in a month lol. I got mario kart and smash bros, but both are pretty boring to play alone.

Lawl. Those are the two I play as well.

I was really into the online for MK for about a month.

Archived