The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Any recommendations on purchasing a shed?

Hello ladies and gents! I'm looking to buy a shed in the next little while (sooner rather than later) and was curious if anyone here by chance has any sort of knowledge on what a "good" shed would be to get.

Want to get a shed to put in the backyard (garage is getting crowded with vehicles [just got a new one last month]/machines/bikes/etc) and allow to store a fair amount of stuff in there. Nothing overly crazy I have to store, just would rather be satisfied having things organized instead of forcefully fitting things in the garage.

I went to the Home Depot today and there's a keter summit resin shed [8' x 9'] on sale. From $1000 to $500. I checked a few reviews online and there are mixed responses. Some say it's great, others say the material is flimsy and the roof caves if there is heavy snowfall (which I shouldn't have to worry about here in BC). It looks great, has 2 entrances, air ventilation, windows, and there's a good deal on it.

I don't know much about sheds so I'm open to hearing peoples recommendations and history/knowledge with them, what types are better (classic wood sheds or the new plastic-wood, plastic, etc), and all that. Price range I'm eyeballing is $1000 give or take either way :)

I've been looking forever and can't find one that is the right dimensions, not grossly overpriced and not hideous. I guess I am going to have to lower my expectations.

I'd be satisfied with anything from the 7' x 7' - 9' x 10' range. Just want a fair sized shed. Not too big, not too small.

Hello ladies and gents! I'm looking to buy a shed in the next little while (sooner rather than later) and was curious if anyone here by chance has any sort of knowledge on what a "good" shed would be to get.

Want to get a shed to put in the backyard (garage is getting crowded with vehicles [just got a new one last month]/machines/bikes/etc) and allow to store a fair amount of stuff in there. Nothing overly crazy I have to store, just would rather be satisfied having things organized instead of forcefully fitting things in the garage.

I went to the Home Depot today and there's a keter summit resin shed [8' x 9'] on sale. From $1000 to $500. I checked a few reviews online and there are mixed responses. Some say it's great, others say the material is flimsy and the roof caves if there is heavy snowfall (which I shouldn't have to worry about here in BC). It looks great, has 2 entrances, air ventilation, windows, and there's a good deal on it.

I don't know much about sheds so I'm open to hearing peoples recommendations and history/knowledge with them, what types are better (classic wood sheds or the new plastic-wood, plastic, etc), and all that. Price range I'm eyeballing is $1000 give or take either way :)

heres my advice. Go to a hockey based website and ask the people there. Ohhhh wait.......

I put one of those sheds up last summer in a neighbors yard, I didnt see any problems with it, we havent had much of a winter at all in southern Alberta this year so I cant comment on the snowfall/roof collapse thing...yet... but like you say, in the lower mainland that should be a non issue. At that price I wouldnt hesitate to purchase it. Super easy to assemble as well.

Find a carpenter friend and build it to your exact wants for les than half the price.

Bbq and beer for the guy if he's a good bud he should do it. U can help. Over a weekend no prob even if you're drinking at the same time.

I was thinking about this. It's a lot cheaper, funner, and you get to customize it to your liking. Only thing I'm concerned about is it would be wood (a lot sturdier and firm) and I've heard they mold after time so I have to research more about that.

Check out Costco, they have pretty good deals on sheds.

Yes, will def do! Thanks for reminding me...I remember they usually have quite a good sale on these 8x10 lifetime sheds. They're usually around this time so I'll check to see if they have it now or will this time around.

I put one of those sheds up last summer in a neighbors yard, I didnt see any problems with it, we havent had much of a winter at all in southern Alberta this year so I cant comment on the snowfall/roof collapse thing...yet... but like you say, in the lower mainland that should be a non issue. At that price I wouldnt hesitate to purchase it. Super easy to assemble as well.

Thanks for the post. Nice knowing you had firsthand experience putting it up and its held up well with no problems. From the looks of it, seems the Keter Summit Resin is a good shed in places with not much extreme weather. Holds up well in areas with normal temperature and everyday weather for the most part but in places with heavy hail/snow/winds (NL, Ontario, Winnipeg, ) seems to not hold up. Not too concerned with that hazard here as the weather is a lot more calm in the lower mainland compared to those places.

And the guy at Home Depot said he had a Keter Resin shed as well and wouldn't hesitate to get this one that's on sale. Was an honest looking fellow, gave his take on the different variety of sheds they had and recommended I get that shed especially for the deal in place.

Edit: The home depot guy said for this shed you don't have to lay down a foundation but I would like to anyways to solidify it plus add a nice looking touch to it. When you put it up was a foundation put down and if so what did you use to do so/how did you do it?

The metal sheds can be a real b@*&% to put together. I got a smaller one, figured it should only take a couple of hours, but it took almost a whole day.

I'd go with Costco. If they stock it, that usually means it's good quality. I think at this time of year they have selection in-store too (which is often cheaper than what is online).

The best part of the metal shed though was that we had a hailstorm here in Calgary that put a bunch of small dents in it. So my house insurance paid me the entire cost of it.

But the shed still worked fine, no leaks, and with it's textured finish you don't really notice the dents (unless up close). So it ended up basically free.

The metal sheds can be a real b@*&% to put together. I got a smaller one, figured it should only take a couple of hours, but it took almost a whole day.

I'd go with Costco. If they stock it, that usually means it's good quality. I think at this time of year they have selection in-store too (which is often cheaper than what is online).

The best part of the metal shed though was that we had a hailstorm here in Calgary that put a bunch of small dents in it. So my house insurance paid me the entire cost of it.

But the shed still worked fine, no leaks, and with it's textured finish you don't really notice the dents (unless up close). So it ended up basically free.

That's awesome lol. Nice to hear it's worked out for you.

Has your shed ever rusted since you got it considering it's metal? I've heard the metal ones rust (sooner or later) or does that vary or is it a myth?

I was going to say, the problem with the "cheapish" metal sheds is they are easy to dent.

Very easy to catch a lawnmower on the door as you're putting it back and kink it so easily that you can no longer close the door very well any longer.

I prefer wood ones, but I just picked up a used "resin" one on kijiji for $100 - we'll see if it is sufficient or not as we do get snow here in the Okanagan.

Be careful of mission creep. We started out wanting a small shed for our lawnmower and other yard tools and ended up with a 12' x 16' insulated, heated workshop that also happens to store our lawn stuff in one end. A person could live in there, no problem. Except it doesnt have a bathroom.

Pouring the concrete cost more than I wanted to spend on the whole thing originally but it is really nice now.

Archived