The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I surrender! ( Discussion) All most!

J.I.A.H.N

Through out the year I have been on record as saying our core is too old, and we should move them before their abilities diminish. While still feeling some what the same about moving some of our players in the next 2 years, I am becoming much more hesitant about doing it at this draft.

I have to say I am relieved that Benning didn't take my offer of assistant GMing to heart at the deadline and I am putting this out here now to be ridiculed for my posts.

Now as we all know, everyone on here has an opinion and I wasn't shy about voicing mine, but I have to say, after waiting for our slipper to fall off all month, we keep winning some how????

We are average in goal, have no elite defensemen, no second line, and really no right to be where we are, but yet we are!

I have looked at our record and compared it to the teams above us and we are within 10 points of the top, and not 10 points out of a playoff spot.

My revelation, is not that we are so good, but that the fact is that neither are any of the others. The NHL has achieved some sort of parity between the top 18 or so, quite amazing really! At least to me.

If you take out the teams that are tanking, or have fallen due to injuries, it really doesn't leave many teams left that, have no reason not to try to be competitive. There are ones that are falling, Boston comes to mind, but for the most, a lot of teams have a chance of making the playoffs, again quite amazing!

Anyways, congrats to those that stayed the course, and thanks to those that participated in my posts, albeit the odd, well deserved roasting.

Yes, I still have concerns, and yes I really don't want to see our UFA's walk at years end, and our transition will be interesting, but I will follow the remaining games of the season with the devotion of an avid Canuck fan. ( Please remind me of these words if I falter! )

A special thanks Tyhee who always takes the time to spell out his point, even if so painful to me, and to him as well! LOL I am sure.

A thanks to Joe of the North and those other posters who have posted articulate comments, time and time again!

I would like to finish by saying that the real "Trolls" of these boards are those that take the time to ruin a post by starting spelling bee's or by spewing ridiculous gibberish to take a post off track. I also commend those that attempt to join our Canuck Consortium. Trolls please look up the word "consortium" for a definition!

Finally, Go Canucks GO!

Give it time guys. We lose to bad teams and pull off wins against the good. This core is done. Build around the Sedins and what few years they have left

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baerstchi-Horvat-Vrbata

Kenins-McCann-Burrows

Dorsett-Matthais-Hansen

Vey

EDIT - I still cheer for the team and wish them the best, but we aren't going to be contenders with the players we have now

thing is this team isnt very physical and constantly loses faceoffs that wont get you far in playoffs but it is raising values on players like weber he coukd get a third rounder at draft. I feel benning has a good plan in place for next yr youngsters will be pushing for spots a few core guys will be moved (higgins, richardson, mattias, hansen, hammer, sbisa)

baerchi will be on team

virtanen could get his 9 game tryout

vey will be a yr older so will horvat and kenins, stanton, clendenning, corrado

hutton gaunce shinkaruk pedan will push for spots or at least callups

thats at least 2 rookies and 5 more 2-3rd yr players on team

baerchi sedin kass

sedin vrbata

kenins horvat virtanen

dorsett gaunce vey

edler tanev

sbisa corrado

hutton clendenning

stanton

lack

miller

young team next yr only thing its missing is a good second line center and a ppqb dman lotsa pieces than can be moved for these key positions needing filling

mattias

richardson

bieska

hammer

jensen

higgins

hansen

weber

markstrom

bonino

can be packaged

as well. as

cederholm

grenier

all these pieces will be fun to watch benning make our team look more to a style he wants us to play to

"We are average in goal, have no elite defensemen, no second line, and really no right to be where we are, but yet we are!"

Average in goal? Lolololol.

8 great dman.

No second line? How bout roll 4 lines better than anyone in the nhl.

No right? We've steadily been 2nd in the division all year or first even at times

Apollo........I was kind of trying to paraphrase my years work with that comment ............but really, there have been many posts besides my own that have commented on it, one way or another, these very points.

Not saying we completely right or wrong, just poking some fun at myself.

I'm not expecting a cup this year but I definitely thought we'd make it back into the playoffs.

If we draw Calgary I could easily see us moving into the 2nd round or ride confidence into the finals.

The Canucks were never going to go full rebuild. Even though we haven't performed great in the playoffs, we only missed one season in recent memory. That is not enough to blow up a roster.

However, I do see us looking for a young 2C. Before the trade deadline there were rumours linking us to Kadri and O'Reilly. I wouldn't be surprised to see either, or someone similar, in the mix come draft day. Boninio just isn't cutting it and Horvat may need another year with favourable matchups on the 3rd line.

some people on this board can call it jumping on the bandwagon . I think I'm one of many fans here that would say they bleed Canuck colours but were a little more pragmatic ..

Im Still reticent about our chances of being a contender , but I believe in miracles .

GO CANUCKS GO

Jan

Interesting thought about the league in general. Or, revelation as you say, that there is relative parity in the top 18. You are right. More or less.....blame it on the cap system.

Once a team gets good, younger players want and deserve more money and hard choices must be made (Chicago, Boston and others have been faced with this) and the dismantling begins.

At the other end of the spectrum, it may be difficult for a team to fall off the map (Canucks) who with clever GM's can pick up useful assets from teams who can't afford to hang on to them and have to give them up.

Then there are other teams who with incompetent management, flail in mediocrity (Toronto, Edmonton.....)

And so the league turns.....

The day we find a true first line that can take over top duties from the aging Sedins, (who should NOT be moved, ever, but rather become a strong second and eventually 3rd line), and can field a bottom six comparative to what we have today, is the day we regain our President's trophy days, and perhaps beyond.

I'm excited to see what some of our prospects can bring in the next year or two...with the right wingers, I think Bo Horvat has at least the potential to be the next Morrison. If Kassian can be the next Bertuzzi, we just need us a sniper like Naslund. Vrbata would work, but is aging as well.

The point is, we need very little to be in the hunt again, and most of what we need is already in house, needing just a bit more development. The rest we should try to poach from the Oilers or Toronto

...they're not using what they have anyway... :bigblush:

:towel::towel::towel:

thing is this team isnt very physical and constantly loses faceoffs that wont get you far in playoffs but it is raising values on players like weber he coukd get a third rounder at draft. I feel benning has a good plan in place for next yr youngsters will be pushing for spots a few core guys will be moved (higgins, richardson, mattias, hansen, hammer, sbisa)

Uh, that's a few? Then again if you want to sacrifice the playoffs next year and corner the market on 3rd round picks, be my guest.

Like last year, Benning will do most of his heavy lifting around draft time. Although I don't forsee a Kesler scale deal being made (ie Hamhuis or Miller), you never know.

Benning has built a lot of depth this past year and some of that will have to be cashed out or risk losing it on waivers. Fortunately some of our youth may be ready to dip their toes in the NHL waters next year for a handful of games.

In net, I don't see Benning risking trading Miller or Lack. Remember if he trades one and the other gets injured then Markstrom all of a sudden is our starter. We'll see what Markstrom does in the handful of games he may get, but my guess is Benning will trade Markstrom for what he can get. Probably won't be a lot, but oh well.

Not sure on the waiver status for many of the defense but there will be a bit of a glut next year. NHL capable defense for next year are currently Tanev, Edler, Hamhuis, Sbisa, Stanton, Bieksa, Clendening, Weber, Corrado. One of these will have to go if any one of them can be sent down. 2 will have to go if all of them have to clear waivers. I know many would love to see Hamhuis and Bieksa go but they have waive their NTC's and do you really want Sbisa/Stanton as your second pairing? Really?

At forward, I'd like to believe Kenins has earned a spot next year on the 4th line. Baertschi probably has a spot somewhere too. Virtanen will probably be treated like Horvat was this year so it's too early to gift him a roster spot. We'll see what Benning does with the UFA trio of Richardson/Matthias/Dorsett. Nobody will have to move if he's unable to come to terms with any of them. I really hope Matthias can be kept and everyone seems to love Dorsett in the organization.

Archived