The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dan Hamhuis

Kodie

I have been watching hammer and I concluded that he's doing pretty terribly and no one is really paying attention. All I recall from him are strange plays and a ton of give aways. He's had 64 shots on net and 0 goals this season. I read somewhere that people are over looking his lack of goals because he's been have a good year defensively but I just can't see it. Anybody else notice he's been off or have I just been watching him at the wrong time?

I like hammer and i know he is one of the best canucks defence men as well, but i just wanted to know if anyone else noticed anything and an explanation why

What most are realizing is that Hamhuis helped stabalize our pretty much AHL defence when we got destroyed by injuries. If we didn't have him during that stretch, I wouldn't have been surprised if we were nowhere near where we are in the standings today.

In my opinion he has just been highly overrated in this city for some years now, he is what he is, an average 2nd pairing defenseman. The fact he made Team Canada over guys like Giordano and Seabrook was absolutely ludicrous.

Everybody needs to stop expecting so much from him. The guy has the weakest shot on the team so the lack of Goal scoring doesn't surprise me, but he has had some clutch assists lately and got in a spirited scrap as well.

No.

He's been pretty average to bad for a while now, few years. When he was selected to team Canada, he was playing some awful hockey, when he returned, was even worse.

Dan Hamhuis is easily one of the best D on the Canucks.

When he was selected to Team Canada and won an Olympic Gold medal - and not just because he was selected - Hammer actually played while PK Subban sat out. The real question was whether you would take Seabrook or Giordano over PK Subban (I wouldn't) and Subban didn't even play except for a few shifts to try him out.

What has he done? For starters there was that clutch assist on Kassian's GWG a few games ago.

Watching the games, I see puck control, winning 1:1 battles and defense. Key minutes against the best on the other team. If he was out from the lineup (which he was this year for a prolonged stretch) the Canucks would be way, way worse. He actually a D that actually plays defense and isn't a forward and 17 A in 50 GP isn't that bad.

He's been pretty average to bad for a while now, few years. When he was selected to team Canada, he was playing some awful hockey, when he returned, was even worse.

You are smoking some serious crack. He was definitely a dark horse candidate for the Olympics based on his play last year, and this was something most if not all hockey experts agreed upon. It was just a big deal that he'd actually made the team. You have no idea what you're talking about.

There is a reason people are noticing his drop in playing level, and that's because it's real. Unlike last year, where he did perfectly fine. I actually think he's playing injured, which is compounding the issue. I'm not sure if he's still hurt but I'm sure he came back sooner than he wanted because the other defencemen were dropping like flies. Anyways, it's certainly been frustrating watching him make constant mental mistakes, which you can't blame on injuries. He has become noticeably slow in terms of pure skating speed, but he's still moves the puck quite smoothly and generally performs whatever duties are expected of him. He's probably dropping off a bit faster than other players due to the frequency of his injuries. His body simply isn't as robust as someone like... Mark Streit or Brian Campbell who, apart from those concussion issues, have been healthy their whole careers. You see this in other sports a lot, where people who can't stay healthy end up declining much faster.

He was fantastic the last few seasons for the Canucks, playing solid defensively pretty much the same way Tanev does for us now. Hamhuis is showing signs of slowing down this season mentally and physically, and while he can be good at times for us still, he's definately on the decline and wavering, with his play waxing and waning.

I just hope we have a replacement for he and Bieksa by the end of next season when their contracts expire.

In my opinion he has just been highly overrated in this city for some years now, he is what he is, an average 2nd pairing defenseman. The fact he made Team Canada over guys like Giordano and Seabrook was absolutely ludicrous.

Everybody needs to stop expecting so much from him. The guy has the weakest shot on the team so the lack of Goal scoring doesn't surprise me, but he has had some clutch assists lately and got in a spirited scrap as well.

As long as Chris Tanev is wearing a Canucks jersey, he will continue to hold the dubious honour of the weakest shot on the team (and probably the entire NHL).

Hamhuis is a steady defenceman who plays well in his own zone. He doesn't bring much offence but that's not really his game. He's a quiet guy yet always surprises me with some of the hits he throws. I haven't cheered louder for a fight this season than I did for his bout with Jakub Voracek. He got tagged and was bloodied but landed some pretty good shots himself.

Giordano was lights out last year, he just got more publicity this year because of the crazy run the Flames are on. I would of taken Seabrook playing the offside over Hamhuis but yes I understand why they didn't take him. I think the only reason they took Hamhuis was because of his experience World championships.

Olympic camp invitations are the summer before. If I recall initial roster is submitted in December and the final roster in January. So I'm not sure how much that current season would play into the selection process. Track record and experince would likely be the higher priority than a player having a good season. That aside Hamhuis was chosen because he was natural to the left side. But really, did it matter much? He was in and out of the line up and didn't play the medal game. We still had depth without Giordano and Seabrook.

What most are realizing is that Hamhuis helped stabalize our pretty much AHL defence when we got destroyed by injuries. If we didn't have him during that stretch, I wouldn't have been surprised if we were nowhere near where we are in the standings today.

This nails it for me.

Dan helped carry the defence night after night and saw the team through a difficult time. I think he deserves some respect for that and maybe even a rest when we can afford to give him one.

I also suspect he is either experiencing some pain or something else as we have seen him react twice now out of character. Once when he instigated a fight out of what was not a very much and then he also struck an oponent for again not much of a challenge.

Unlike Bieksa, who has also played pretty poorly he can't claim rustiness from an injury recovery,

To say CDC has overrated him is crass imo. He has been one of the best defensemen in the league for years. He will bounce back but I do think he needs a rest.

Archived